need to take a Colorado CCW course?

This is a discussion on need to take a Colorado CCW course? within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So do I...AZ didn't give me a certificate of completion, so I've been told by JeffCo that I need to take the CO CCW course. ...

Thread: need to take a Colorado CCW course?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

need to take a Colorado CCW course?

So do I...AZ didn't give me a certificate of completion, so I've been told by JeffCo that I need to take the CO CCW course.

At any rate, is there anyone that needs to take one still? I was thinking it'd be cool to meet some of my Coloradoans here. Let me know and maybe we can match our schedules and wallets to take the course together.

- P
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    If you are going to take the CCW course, I'd recommend the combined Utah/CO class by ProFire at Gander Mountian. I'll see if I can get you a link.

But, you may be able to get away with just a hunter safety course. I normally wouldn't recommend that to most folks. But being as you've been thru a CCW class in AZ and are an active participant at DC.com, I think you'd be fine meeting the minimum requirement.

Thus, the hunter safety course would allow you to purchase hunting licenses if you like whereas a CCW course wouldn't.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    PROFIREUSA.com - Firearms Academy - Firearms Training for Beginners through Instructor plus Concealed Carry Pre-Licensing Courses

A good long class with multiple instructors, limited class size, and limited ideology. Not the cheapest course but they're probably one of the best.

The Thornton class is probably still being held at the Gander Mountian off of I-25 and 104th(ish) Ave.

They are certified for Utah and can do the photo and fingerprint for a complete mail off package to Utah.

Going that route will add a few additional charges.

Good Luck
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

since you have already taken a course, the hunters safety is a good option. Check the Jefferson County Sheriff website to be sure, but that should be all you need.

I know of an excellent 3 day, $100, Basic Pistol course in Colorado Springs, but that probably doesn't help you much.

I thought I read on the website that a hunter's safety course wouldn't satisfy the requirements?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I read up on Jefferson County. it specifically states:
    "Note: A hunter safety or comparable course is not acceptable. " so you are correct.

CCW - Frequently Asked Questions - Sheriff's Office - Jefferson County, CO

Oh well. As a side note, I double checked the El Paso County web site, which is what I was basing my information on. They do accept a hunters safety card.

El Paso County Sheriff's Office - Concealed Handgun Permit

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    I read up on Jefferson County. it specifically states:
    "Note: A hunter safety or comparable course is not acceptable. " so you are correct.

CCW - Frequently Asked Questions - Sheriff's Office - Jefferson County, CO

Oh well. As a side note, I double checked the El Paso County web site, which is what I was basing my information on. They do accept a hunters safety card.

El Paso County Sheriff's Office - Concealed Handgun Permit

Lame...oh well, looks like I'll be shopping around for a good class.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Yeah! Since you are taking the class a second time, you have a difficult choice to make. Do you take a class that runs just the minimum 4 hours required, or do you take a 3 day class and hope to improve your skills and learn from a lawyer?

If you are looking for the 4 hour course, there is a guy up near you somewhere who puts fliers up in all the Sportsmans Warehouses. It is around $40 for the course, and I am told you are in and out in a strait 4 hours.

If I had to do a class again I am not sure which route I would take. I learned a lot in the extended course I took, but I never seem to have enough time for anything currently, so it would be a real toss-up for me which route to go.

I'm finding the same dilemma...part of me just wants to get it done, but the other part would like to learn Colorado laws...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Here is a good one!

This is who I recommend. All of us seem to have a favorite. Anthony will teach you much more than basic CCW info. He wants yo to know what you are doing.
    Bob

Colorado Shooting Sports • AK Lightning Bolt™ • Firearms • Ammunition • Training • Tactical Gear

Links