Might be moving to Ohio, can you tell me anything?

This is a discussion on Might be moving to Ohio, can you tell me anything? within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi all, I might have a new job near Mansfield Ohio and was wondering if anyone here might know the area who could tell me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might be moving to Ohio, can you tell me anything?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Might be moving to Ohio, can you tell me anything?

Hi all, I might have a new job near Mansfield Ohio and was wondering if anyone here might know the area who could tell me about it? I already know Ohio is a must-issue type of state and it seems to be quite gun friendly. I'm wondering if the state conservation department has many public ranges or where there might be shooting clubs/ranges around the Mansfield area?

I know you can't use a rifle for deer and have to use a slug That's too bad but not the end of the world and there seems to be a real lack of lakes and ponds for fishing unless you count Lake Erie an hour and a half away.

I love hunting, fishing and guns so I'm wonder what that's like in that central area. I'm trying to get a line on a good church and a feel for the whole gun thing (especially CCW) before I make any final decisions.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone familar with the area!! It might be time to say goodby to Missouri which is too bad because it's a great state for those interests!

2. Remove Ads

This is scary...no one from Ohio or worse, no one with anything good to say about ohio?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Ohio is round on both ends and high in the middle.
    Sorry that's all I can tell you about Ohio, but it's not that long of a drive to Michigan where were have some great hunting and fishing
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Flat land with few lakes...lots of criminals though.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just say this today, so I'll add in some info for ya Gideon.

Ohio Department of Natural Resources - camping, boating, fishing, hunting, biking, hiking in Ohio

That page will have a lot of the info you want as far as fishing and state ranges.

I know there is a state range in Delaware, which would probably be less than an hour from Mansfield, which is pretty decent.

FWIW, the furthest North in the State I have lived is in Columbus, when I was in college. The cities tend to be rather liberal, especially Cleveland, but overall the state is pretty conservative. For Concealed carry, I wish they would allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, but that is a no go right now. But other than that the laws aren't too bad.

I know in the Southern part of the state there are some decent fishing areas, not so sure about up that way though, Ill ask around a bit though. No rifles for deer is correct, slugs, pistols, muzzleloaders and archery only.

Any other general questions about ohio you have I will try to answer to the best of my ability.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a friend who moved there a few yrs ago...for a substantial increase in pay. He is a forensic analyst in firearms at their BCI Lab. His fiancee is the same. They love it there. She is from Ohio. I personally dont care to live there. Too flat. I love my mountains, and we have lots of lakes, and ranges. Or country ranges with built in natural backstops. Good luck overall I dont think its that bad.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Flat land with few lakes...lots of criminals though.
    As I reread this post, it sounded rather harsh. I should clearify that by 'lots of criminals' I did not mean that Ohio had more BG's than any other state...I meant no disrespect to the good people of Ohio.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    As I reread this post, it sounded rather harsh. I should clearify that by 'lots of criminals' I did not mean that Ohio had more BG's than any other state...I meant no disrespect to the good people of Ohio.
    Well said Sir, thank you. I think I know what you mean though. All the larger cities have their share and then some but probably not any more than comparably sized cities anywhere in the USA.

I can't speak about Mansfield, although I've been there a few times I really know very little about the town. It is a medium sized city fairly close to Columbus which is booming in size and business. Mansfield however, like Akron, Canton, Lorain, Ashtabula, etc has seen better days and the jobs availability like most of northern Ohio is bleak. I do know Mansfield was once a thriving industrial town but most of the larger industries, Steel, Railroads, etc are either gone or scaled down drastically. On the plus side, Mainsfield is surrounded by beautiful flat farmlands and small rivers. Lake Erie and Cleveland which is doing a little better now- a - days is probably an hour and a half or two hours away straight north right up SR 71. Sorry, I couldn't really be more helpfull than that. Ohio is gun friendly and the restrictions are being eased gradually for the better. You can acquire a CCW in about a month if you put any effort towards it.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Hi all, I might have a new job near Mansfield Ohio and was wondering if anyone here might know the area who could tell me about it? I already know Ohio is a must-issue type of state and it seems to be quite gun friendly. I'm wondering if the state conservation department has many public ranges or where there might be shooting clubs/ranges around the Mansfield area?

I know you can't use a rifle for deer and have to use a slug That's too bad but not the end of the world and there seems to be a real lack of lakes and ponds for fishing unless you count Lake Erie an hour and a half away.

I love hunting, fishing and guns so I'm wonder what that's like in that central area. I'm trying to get a line on a good church and a feel for the whole gun thing (especially CCW) before I make any final decisions.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone familar with the area!! It might be time to say goodby to Missouri which is too bad because it's a great state for those interests!
    Too many lakes to mention. They're not the size of Lake Erie but few are. You'll enjoy great fishing so don't worry about that.

I wouldn't worry about shotguns for deer hunting either. Go with an in-line muzzleloader like the TC Omega or TC Encore with a scope. You can take deer at 150 to 200 yards with confidence. Deer aren't small here either, plenty of big bucks taken in Ohio.

Like any other State you'll find plenty of ranges. Ohio Department of Natural Resources is a good place to start for outdoor ranges and other outdoor information. I go to an ODNR range and they have 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. Also has skeet shooting and archery ranges.

The only really bad thing is your north of Columbus which is typically Cleveland Brown territory. It could be worse though, I live south of Columbus which is Bengal territory...and that get's worse every year.

Ohio was glaciated to just below I-70.
    Below that latitude the terrain more resembles West Virginia than the Yankee flat lands.
    Appalachian Ohio is culturally quite different than the more northerly regions of the state.
    Link to Ohioans for Concealed Carry website, wealth of information for CC info:
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry - The Premier Gun Rights Organization in Ohio Since 1999
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    The laws in Ohio for CCW is not bad, as said, no carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol and any other place prohibited, including posted buildings that are private property. You can go to the attorney generals website and download the ccw handbook that will go into more details.

As for hunting, I know in southern Ohio, its pretty good. My now ex inlaws lives in one of the southern parts of the state and they get large deer yearly. I live near Columbus and our county has alot of large deer.

There are a few ODNR shooting ranges, and a few indoor ranges that are shooting centers.

Its cheaper than alot of states to register your car and get a drivers license here, and only a few counties have echeck.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Well I hadn't checked this post in a few and low and behold some responses! I appreciate everyone. It's a scary prospect to consider moving. Especially when I have to sell a house and have a lot of children. But the job might be for a LOT more money and with 6 kids that's important (but never most important!). The company is flying me back up there in a few weeks so my wife and I can look around a bit more. I've been eye balling the city of Ashland, it looks nice too so I'm looking at a city called lexington and then imagine an ark heading East/South east and then swinging up towards the NE to Ashland. I think I want to be generally south of Mansfield as long as I'm no more than 40 minutes from work.

Still looking at churches in the area and possible living areas and then I have to figure out if I can even sell my house!!

thank everyone for their input. Every bit helps!

Buy a Heavy coat!!
    My Indian Name
    Runs with Beer

I live just across the river from Cincinnati in northern KY and I have worked in Cincinnati on and off for the last few years. Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati was one of the top ten worst urban areas in the US. Mansfield is located almost halfway between Columbus and the mistake by the lake, Cleveland. Can't say much about any of them.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links