Anti-gun Brady bunch Mayor recall

This is a discussion on Anti-gun Brady bunch Mayor recall within the Member Meeting Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From a VA-ALERT. VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. [First person pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, ...

Thread: Anti-gun Brady bunch Mayor recall

VIP Member

From a VA-ALERT.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

[First person pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

The League of Women Voters of South Hampton Roads is asking its members to come to the meeting at Portsmouth tonight to counter VCDL’s presence there. We need to make sure we have a good number of people there, so those of you who can come please do so.

I will be at the meeting around 6:30 with Guns Save Lives stickers. The meeting starts at 7 PM.

Interesting to note that there is currently an effort to recall Mayor Holley after the City Council asked him to resign and he refused. Bob Marcus, with Bob's Gun in Norfolk, is leading the way:

Push to recall Portsmouth mayor gains momentum | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Push to recall Portsmouth mayor gains momentum Posted to: Elections News Portsmouth

By Jen McCafferyThe Virginian-Pilot

PORTSMOUTH

An effort to recall Mayor James Holley got a boost this week with the gathering of more signatures and the formation of a political action committee.

About sixteen volunteers fanned out at precincts around the city and gathered 2,415 more signatures on Election Day, according to Pat Simons, one of the organizers.

That adds to the more than 2,800 signatures that were gathered as of Oct. 23 but still does not give the anti-Holley movement the 7,500 needed to force a recall vote.

Portsmouth resident and Norfolk gun dealer Robert Marcus launched a political action committee to bolster the recall campaign.

"We're well on our way now," Marcus said. He anticipated that a door- to-door effort to get additional signatures would begin.

The effort to recall Holley came shortly after members of City Council asked him to resign and Holley refused.

Before that, council members fined him $2,500 in connection for using his city assistant to perform personal tasks including canceling his Playboy subscription.

Holley has said he is not walking away from his office.

Holley, who is in his fifth term, was recalled once before in 1987 in connection with a hate mail campaign.

Holley did not return a message left at his home Tuesday night.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Ok.. I'm missing something... they are trying to recall him because he uses his personal asst to do personal items for him ? Have I got that right ?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Ok.. I'm missing something... they are trying to recall him because he uses his personal asst to do personal items for him ? Have I got that right ?
    The way I took it was that was just an example of his misuse of his office. Sounds a little like Mayor Kilpatrick in Detroit
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

It also sounds like he has had this problem before, being recalled in 1987; hopefully, folks there will have learned from their previous mistake??
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    VCDL is working for his removal because he is one of the Bloomberg 7 -- i.e., the seven mayors in VA who belong to Mayors Against Illegal Guns

Others have other valid reasons to want him out of office.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Update

from a VA-ALERT.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

[First person pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Yesterday's Portsmouth protest had to first overcome gun ban in City Hall

Yesterday 24 VCDL members showed up at the Portsmouth City Hall to support VCDL urging the Mayor to drop his membership in the disgraceful Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) - a front for generic gun control run by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The first problem we had was a requirement that you sign in and show photo ID. Board member John Fenter is working to get that fixed. Under the Freedom of Information Act they cannot turn someone away from a public meeting because they didn't bring any ID.

John and I went up to the City Hall chambers to work that issue, only to be told by a police officer that guns were not allowed in City Hall chambers!

WHAT?!?!?!! My reaction was to break into laughter and to tell John that this would be one heluva law suit. We explained 15.2-915 to the officer.

The officer, to his credit, realized that perhaps he had best check this out. He told the other officers to just wait a minute and not turn away any armed citizens.

Upon checking with the City Attorney, the officer returned in a couple of minutes and sincerely apologized for his error and he said we were more than welcome to enter the chambers.

Dennis O'Connor was also involved and approached Sheriff Watson on the issue and filed this report:

"Apparently, no one had ever carried firearms to a Portsmouth city council meeting before, because the security and police seemed not to know how to handle it, and at one point a city officer was attempting to deny us entrance. This was resolved by the city attorney, but thankfully, Portsmouth Sheriff Watson was also on site and was very aggressive about ensuring no one's rights were infringed. He was a shining example of a professional law officer who was well versed in both the law and the constitution, even making making numerours pro-second amendment statements throughout.

He stated that as an elected constitutional officer, he would not allow anyone's right to bear arms to be violated. Sheriff Watson related to me that when someone initially approached him, exitedly exclaiming that people were coming in who had guns, he simply replied 'so do I.'

Sheriff Watson make a point of giving me his personal cell phone number, saying if any of our group were excluded or harassed in any manner for carry of firearms to call him immediately and would intervene and correct the problem."

Thank you, Sheriff!

We had no further issues with the police or the Sheriff's deputies and we thank them for their professional handing of the event.

Once inside 3 of us spoke, asking the Mayor to resign from MAIG.

The Mayor did not comment, nor did anyone from City Council, but I'm sure Council, and perhaps the Mayor, didn't realize until last night the implications of the Mayor being a part of MAIG.

As far as Portsmouth's illegal gun ban on their lakes and surrounding
    properties, Ken Richards got this email from the City today after contacting them about that ordinance:

--

Mr. Richards,

Thank you for bringing this concern to the members of the Portsmouth City Council's attention.

It is the intention of the City Council to consider repealing the referenced ordinance at it's November 24th Meeting.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Portsmouth City Council.

Thank you, Thank you for bringing this concern to the members of the Portsmouth City Council's attention.

It is the intention of the City Council to consider repealing the referenced ordinance at it's November 24th Meeting.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Portsmouth City Council.

Thank you,
    Debra White
    City Clerk
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links