Which IWB Kydex holster to get??

This is a discussion on Which IWB Kydex holster to get?? within the MidWorld Holster forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; I'm 511, 265. I've never had a full kydex holster before (been using a hybrid since I started carrying last year). I guess you can ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Which IWB Kydex holster to get??

  1. #1
    Member Array kmjjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    lower left corner of Ohio
    Posts
    80

    Which IWB Kydex holster to get??

    I'm 511, 265. I've never had a full kydex holster before (been using a hybrid since I started carrying last year). I guess you can study and shop until you are blue in the face but never having tried a kydex IWB holster, I'm not too sure what to look for as far as features and design are concerned. I have been looking at your Ohio Special and comparing it with, specifically, the JM Custom Kydex version 2. In the pictures there are clear differences, but....

    So, I guess I'm looking for your explanation as to why your holster is better. Why should I purchase one from you over your competition? Thanks for your response!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array TXOutfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjjack View Post
    I'm 511, 265. I've never had a full kydex holster before (been using a hybrid since I started carrying last year). I guess you can study and shop until you are blue in the face but never having tried a kydex IWB holster, I'm not too sure what to look for as far as features and design are concerned. I have been looking at your Ohio Special and comparing it with, specifically, the JM Custom Kydex version 2. In the pictures there are clear differences, but....

    So, I guess I'm looking for your explanation as to why your holster is better. Why should I purchase one from you over your competition? Thanks for your response!
    I've never worn a kydex IWB either......being born and bred in a South Texas ranching family, leather goods, saddles, etc. have always been part of my life, so I naturally was drawn to leather holsters......and I have DOZENS of them. But when I bought my M&P Shield, I wanted an easy on/off light weight, thin holster. As everyone does, I search all over the Internet and saw many that were of interest but the wait time was a problem for me......I'm not a patient man! I found Bob Cook's holster with less wait time and ordered for him! The holster is thin, well made, and extremely comfortable! I've been wearing it the last few days since it arrived without the usual undershirt and its almost like sticking the pistol in your pants without a holster......Very Pleased! Won't replace my leather, but for the intended purpose, it's a real nice holster at a good price!

    Forgive the iPhone pics!

    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

  4. #3
    Member Array kmjjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    lower left corner of Ohio
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for the input Outfitter. I'm glad you mentioned the t-shirt thing. I don't normally wear an actual under-shirt. Just a large (ha - xxl) t-shirt, so the holster will be against my skin. For a kydex holster to be comfortable, is it necessary to have some cloth between the holster and your skin? or is it ok against the skin for the whole day?

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,133
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjjack View Post
    Thanks for the input Outfitter. I'm glad you mentioned the t-shirt thing. I don't normally wear an actual under-shirt. Just a large (ha - xxl) t-shirt, so the holster will be against my skin. For a kydex holster to be comfortable, is it necessary to have some cloth between the holster and your skin? or is it ok against the skin for the whole day?
    I always wear an A-shirt between my gun and skin, and recommend the same to others for several reasons. The advantages of the Ohio Special:
    Its low ride in the belt line and 20 degree forward cant allow it to easily conceal a full-sized semi;
    Its combat cut between the grip and the holster makes for an easy, full-gripped grasp and draw;
    Its inward-curved front and rear wings add to comfort and concealment;
    Its free-riding front belt loop allows it to move slightly when changing positions or seated. This aids both comfort and concealment;
    Its wide platform distributes both the weight of the gun and the print over a wider area, again aiding comfort and concealment.
    Remy likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  6. #5
    gtn
    gtn is offline
    Member Array gtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    45
    Please check out this holster. http://n82tactical.com/n82store/ I know it's not all kydex but it is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn

  7. #6
    Member Array TXOutfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjjack View Post
    Thanks for the input Outfitter. I'm glad you mentioned the t-shirt thing. I don't normally wear an actual under-shirt. Just a large (ha - xxl) t-shirt, so the holster will be against my skin. For a kydex holster to be comfortable, is it necessary to have some cloth between the holster and your skin? or is it ok against the skin for the whole day?
    I've always worn an undershirt but with the heat in South Texas, sometimes I'd rather not! Being my first kydex holster, I was skeptical about carrying without an undershirt but was pleasantly surprised! I've worn this holster 10-12 hours a day for the last few days with no discomfort at all.....in fact, the complete opposite! Of course, the width of the Shield has a lot to do with the comfort level. And of course, body type is a factor.....I'm 5'8", 170 lbs. I carry a Dan Wesson CCO daily in TT Gunleather IWB and OWB holsters but have been wearing this lately just because its new! The Shield won't replace my CCO as my EDC but its nice to know that I can grab my Shield/Cook Holster and go without an undershirt! I know there are lots of similar kydex holsters, as well as, other designs that would work just as well......this was the one I found with the quickest turn around time, so I ordered it and I'm glad I did...it works for me!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

  8. #7
    Member Array kmjjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    lower left corner of Ohio
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I always wear an A-shirt between my gun and skin, and recommend the same to others for several reasons. The advantages of the Ohio Special:
    Its low ride in the belt line and 20 degree forward cant allow it to easily conceal a full-sized semi;
    Its combat cut between the grip and the holster makes for an easy, full-gripped grasp and draw;
    Its inward-curved front and rear wings add to comfort and concealment;
    Its free-riding front belt loop allows it to move slightly when changing positions or seated. This aids both comfort and concealment;
    Its wide platform distributes both the weight of the gun and the print over a wider area, again aiding comfort and concealment.

    Mike,

    I know not all holsters "fit" all people, but do you know of any folks my size having comfort problems with the Ohio? I'm not shaped like a skinny Texan! Also, do you (or anyone else) happen to know if a military or LE discount is offered?

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,133
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjjack View Post
    Mike,

    I know not all holsters "fit" all people, but do you know of any folks my size having comfort problems with the Ohio? I'm not shaped like a skinny Texan! Also, do you (or anyone else) happen to know if a military or LE discount is offered?
    I shot Mark at Midworld a note, so hopefully he will be along soon to answer your other questions.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  10. #9
    Member Array ddclancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    High in the Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    326
    I tried to make the switch from hybrid to full kydex and couldn't hardly bear the pain. I knew it was there all day long and driving was a nightmare.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

  11. #10
    Member Array kmjjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    lower left corner of Ohio
    Posts
    80
    Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your help. DD, The more I think I know what I'm going to do, the less confident I am! Like you and a lot of guys, if I'm curious enough, I'll have to give it a try and see. It's not chump change, but it's also not going to kill the bank either.

    I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe Mark will have a comment or so to add.

  12. #11
    Member Array MidWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjjack View Post
    Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your help. DD, The more I think I know what I'm going to do, the less confident I am! Like you and a lot of guys, if I'm curious enough, I'll have to give it a try and see. It's not chump change, but it's also not going to kill the bank either.

    I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe Mark will have a comment or so to add.
    Hello, and thanks for your interest.
    From my experience, your body shape will not be an issue other than maybe causing you to carry in a slightly different spot than someone smaller. Mike his the pros on the head with his response. I will just add that if you really are not going to wear an under shirt of some kind, than an all Kydex holster is just not for you. You need the fabric to protect you from friction and to soak up sweat.

  13. #12
    Member Array porterrockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    31
    I have been carrying my stealthgear u.s.a. I.w.b. for over a year and I love it very breathe able with padding in needed areas. If you hold it up to the light you can see through it partly.

  14. #13
    Member Array kmjjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    lower left corner of Ohio
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by MidWorld View Post
    Hello, and thanks for your interest.
    From my experience, your body shape will not be an issue other than maybe causing you to carry in a slightly different spot than someone smaller. Mike his the pros on the head with his response. I will just add that if you really are not going to wear an under shirt of some kind, than an all Kydex holster is just not for you. You need the fabric to protect you from friction and to soak up sweat.
    I really appreciate your honest input. That is exactly what I've been wondering for quite a while. I may still give it a try, but I need to decide if wearing an undershirt is something I'll actually do. Weird, but I just never have.

    Thanks for your reply and your time!

  15. #14
    Member Array ddclancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    High in the Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    326
    I'll tell you what I want: A Crossbreed style holster with a full kydex shell, instead of a 1/2 kydex one.....that way there is a nice leather backing but you get a full kydex holster.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

511 aiwb thin
,
best inside the waistband kydex holster forum
,

best iwb kydex holster

,

best kydex holster

,
best kydex holsters
,

best kydex iwb holster

,
custom kydex holsters owb/iwb
,
full kydex holsters
,
jm iwb version 2 review
,
kydex holster for dan wesson
,
kydex iwb holster low riding
,
which kydex iwb conceals the best
Click on a term to search for related topics.