My personal review of MY Gun DB

This is a discussion on My personal review of MY Gun DB within the My Gun DB forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; Well, I got the full blown program and I am adding my extensive collection (more than my age) and I have to say I LOVE ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My personal review of MY Gun DB

My personal review of MY Gun DB

Well, I got the full blown program and I am adding my extensive collection (more than my age) and I have to say I LOVE this. What I really like is the fact that I can attach photos, add accessories, calculate the total of all the accessories plus the appraised value of the weapons and it gives me a nice big overall collection cost. I hope you are able to separate the weapon cost from accessory costs in the future.

I can track old weapons I sold to private sellers and FFL's just in case I need to recall where they went if some agency comes knocking because it was involved in a crime. I can keep notes, small details such as maintenance times and it looks like it will be expanded to include round counts, ammo and other goodies I have been tracking using a pencil and notepad.

Best part? I can encrypt the data and back it up on removable media. Perfect for insurance purposes and tracking round counts in my barrels and on my springs. It took me forever yesterday to add everything in, I had a few learning issues but I am so very happy with this program. I am giving it two thumbs up.

This is great for many things such as tracking inventory, not losing track of weapons ( which I do ), insurance purposes, legal purposes, and maintenance purposes. I can see this will really help people with any size collections. I have so much more accessory and ammo inventory to add in the future. This thing looks like it will work GREAT for FFL's as well.

I installed it on my pc at work so I could work on it, backed the db up to my external HD, then went home and installed it on my laptop and imported the db to continue my work on it. This program is great. I like that it has a search function and that I can sort by type and caliber.

I look forward to the updates and enhancements. I recommend you go download it, try it out and donate a few bucks for the full blown version. It would be worth every penny. Thank you so much for a great product and for taking the time to do this, I hope it is prosperous for you.

This program rocks!
    Wolfrage likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I downloaded this program yesterday as well. I only have entered my first gun into it but I am agreeing with you 100%. It looks like it will be a very valuable asset to help me keep good records and good notes by gun. Any tips you can offer to help others and myself that you learned AZChevy? So far it seems very intuitive but as I stated I am just getting started. My install was on a PC but I hope to try it on my Mac as well. Hope the databases will transfer. If anyone learns this let us know.

Thanks for the review and thanks to Gun DB. Good niche filled by a gun owner for gun owners.
    Wolfrage likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

No real tips, the program is straight forward. I am looking forward to the smartphone version as well.

Let me start by saying I know very little about this item and my tin-foil hat is a little snug. Is there any chance or possibility this database gets into the wrong hands? It sounds like a great tool but I fear it could be used inappropriately. I'm not knocking it's creator or users but I just wonder.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Let me start by saying I know very little about this item and my tin-foil hat is a little snug. Is there any chance or possibility this database gets into the wrong hands? It sounds like a great tool but I fear it could be used inappropriately. I'm not knocking it's creator or users but I just wonder.
    It is a local database. Encrypt it and store it on a removable drive. I would be more worried about using my credit cards on a computer. Anything can get into the wrong hands, including your firearms

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Is there any chance or possibility this database gets into the wrong hands?
    Sorry, normally I'd respond sooner but I was on the road all day.

I take data privacy seriously, so please review this page for an explanation of the data security:

http://myifsgundb.com/data-security/

I'll be back on tomorrow if you have any questions - its 2am and insomnia sucks heh

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk and Red Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    My install was on a PC but I hope to try it on my Mac as well. Hope the databases will transfer. If anyone learns this let us know.
    Yes, that will transfer fine - I myself do it for my Mac and windows (and linux) machines for development.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I hope you are able to separate the weapon cost from accessory costs in the future
    First, thank you for the kind words! Its nice knowing I'm on the right track!

As for the above, working on it for hopefully next release.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
    First, thank you for the kind words! Its nice knowing I'm on the right track!

As for the above, working on it for hopefully next release.

Great, right now I am just using actual value for the weapons and appraised value for the weapon and accessories so I can keep it separate

Accessories are now their own value for next release. I al looking at adding a "Include in cost of firearm" checkbox for each accessory that would be useful for things like building an AR.

Awesome!

I also have the full version of My Gun DB and am very pleased with it. Prior to this, I had created my on file for keeping track of all my weapons and accessories using MS Word. My MS db was useful and I made a number of modifications to it as I added different weapons with features I had not anticipated. But, it is still just a Word document with all it limitations, but better than no record at all.

My Gun DB solves all the problems my Word record could not solve and includes many items I would never have been able to include. Searches, drop down lists, are just a couple of nice features. I look forward to future updates and will be posting my on wishlist as well. I highly recommend this program to any gun owner.
    Wolfrage likes this.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

RmScadd, you made my afternoon ;)

As nice as the program is I am still more comfortable with an Excel Spreadsheet and formulas than paying for another piece of software.

I also still carry a J-Frame so maybe I'm just old fashioned..........well, maybe set in my ways.
    "If 10% is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam" Ray Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by makensmoke View Post
    As nice as the program is I am still more comfortable with an Excel Spreadsheet and formulas than paying for another piece of software.

I also still carry a J-Frame so maybe I'm just old fashioned..........well, maybe set in my ways.
    The really nice thing about this program is the way that you can upload photos of your guns and accessories. It is really nice to have it all in one location for inventory control and insurance purposes. You could even scan in receipts for the gun and other purchase information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast