We're on a boat.

This is a discussion on We're on a boat. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Mike here, friend of Darryl who invited me. My wife and I live full-time on our sailboat, a 33' sloop, the S/V Sovereign. We're planning ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're on a boat.

We're on a boat.

Mike here, friend of Darryl who invited me. My wife and I live full-time on our sailboat, a 33' sloop, the S/V Sovereign.

We're planning to cruise the Caribbean, island-hopping and finding the seediest crappiest bars and open markets everywhere we go. So naturally, pirate defense and general security is a concern.

On-board we have a Mossberg 500. Just before buying the boat and selling our house, I put all my guns up for sale, and the Mossberg was the last one left so we kept it. I need to trade up to a stainless model, I know. Also a pair of basic stainless .38Sp revolvers should suit us nicely. Nothing too "military" or "gangster" looking so as to get the attention of local authorities, just some basic no-frills reliable defense. Well, that and a few very efficient bludgeoning tools that look nothing like dedicated weapons.

My wife's a marksman, trained for security at a nuclear facility. I'm ex-Navy, with a brown belt in bar-stool-jutsu.

Anyway, thanks, Darryl, for inviting me. Can't wait to chat with folks and see what the site's like.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    welcome from michigan
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Senior Moderator
    Welcome Mike, I'm pgrass101 here. You can pick up so a decent used stainless revolver for aporx. $300. I would suggest to get .357mag instead of .38spl, with a .357mag you can still shoot .38spl, so it doudles the amount of ammo avalible to you
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Good point, that. And nice sig line. ;-)

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC. 'Looking forward to hearing of your adventures!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Welcome from South Carolina!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like an adventurous life.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Welcome :D

Thank you for your service

Hey, South Carolinians. Should have mentioned, we're currently at a marina in Charleston.

Get an 870 Marine Magnum; it has a corrosion coating on it, also get a good AR-15 and have it hard-chromed inside and out, that should help........

Good luck.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Welcome from Victoria, B.C.

Just remember, your 2A rights are NOT recognized outside of the US.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I've been telling one of my colleagues that he needs a good 500 on his Carribean based boat for pirate defense. He's adamant that its against the law, and that his flare gun is adequate. Is that true...that you could be arrested for having protection? I think it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Welcome from Central Texas!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Definitely going to get a marine-grade shotgun. Had an AR-15 and sold it. Like I said, I don't want military-looking or gangstah-style hardware. Does us no good to have cutting-edge weaponry if the local Coast Guard confiscates it. We're going to be mostly outside the U.S. once we leave the Keys later on.

Been doing my reading; most of the island authorities are more restrictive toward firearms than the U.S. by far. But, also been talking to a lot of experienced cruisers. They say the local authorities understand the realities of cruising the islands and cast a bit of a forgiving eye on less...powerful-looking...firearms.

To put it another way, a .38 revolver will generally be overlooked with a wink and a nod and maybe a $10 bill under the table, as will a 12-gauge slide or side-by-side. A Glock with laser sights and 20+ rounds in the mag, or an AR or AK with extra mags, will without a doubt get confiscated, and the owner fined or even jailed.

Effective but unobtrusive is the key, we hear from every voice of experience down-island. A Mossie 500 says you're prepared for trouble; an AR-15 says you're hoping for it.

Best advice on defense I got was from a local Coast Guard chief: "Fly the biggest d*mn American flag you can find off the fantail; most of them down there think we're a bunch of gun-crazy cowboys. They'll steer clear and go after the boats with British or French flags."

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links