New girl from Va.

This is a discussion on New girl from Va. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey, everone. I am a Va. girl born and raised. I just started getting interested in guns and the right I have to carry and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New girl from Va.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar

New girl from Va.

Hey, everone. I am a Va. girl born and raised. I just started getting interested in guns and the right I have to carry and protect myself. I am waiting to recieve my concealed carry permit. I have not purchased a gun yet. I am looking. I want to be sure of what I want before I spend any money. My hands are weak so I can't rack the slide on semi auto's, and I can't handle much recoil due to a hand surgery. So if anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks...

2. Remove Ads

You use both hands to rack the slide on a semi auto balancing the force necessary. You move the slide and the frame in opposite directions. You don't have to do it like in the movies and hold the frame steady while you crank back the slide. We adapt to our environment, our tools, and our necessities. A semi auto is going to go easier on you in the recoil department with your conditions. Laws of physics. Adaptability. You're going to heal in time. Shooting and operating a pistol isn't exactly my idea of physical therapy, but it can do wonders for the emotional side, and the state of physical well-being along with the pursuit of self survival. More women should be carrying handguns in my opinion even though it's not thought of as the womanly thing to do because of certain social attitudes from the past. In my opinion, you need to heal first, then consider your options. If you can't wait, get something that's easy going in a package that you can deal with even if it's going to be a 22LR firearm, and carry the best pepper spray available. I can't think of everything, but options are always good, and again......we adapt. I take it your permit is in the works from your post. That doesn't mean your time is limited to selecting what you'll carry, and it doesn't mean you have to carry the minute you get your permit. I realize you want to very much, but consider the circumstances. How long have you existed without carrying a weapon and survived? It's definitely going to take some time and research, and I don't want you spending your money where you won't be seeing immediate benefits physically, and emotionally. You have many things to consider. Stick around and you'll find out more of what you need to know versus what you want to know. It aint always easy, and there's not always a direct response. Most of what you pursue lies within you no matter what advice you're given. You'll integrate everything soon no doubt. My best to you in everything you seek.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Pinklady, welcome from North Carolina.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Texas!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I don't know why I waited so long carry. I really never thought of it til recently. I am a pretty open minded person, I had never been around guns and at first they scared me a little. So I took a gun saftey course and got to shoot I did pretty good. I am not going to rush out and buy a gun yet but I will as soon as I am sure and comfortable with a certain gun. I tend to like the revolvers. Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

Fellow Virginian.

Just remember, there ain't nothin' wrong with a revolver.

Welcome,.... pull up a chair anytime lady. S&W makes a nice 342 (or 642)airweight. While it may be alittle snappy, it's about as good as you can do in a small carry revolver.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    pinklady, welcome to the forum from the Richmond area.

Since you said you're partial to revolvers, you might want to look at the Ruger SP101. Available in .357 Mag or .38 Special. I'd recommend getting the .357 Mag. With it you have the option of shooting .357 or .38 rounds. If you go with the .38 your restricted to .38 only. Always better to have the option available to you IMO. Another option would be the Taurus model 605 (.357) or the model 817 or 85 (.38).

Since you are recoil sensitive, I wouldn't recommend anything that is considered an ultra light gun. While carrying it might be a bit easier, the lighter weight guns have a significant amount more felt recoil than a standard weight gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks.. I really like the ruger sp101. Its a nice gun a little too big to conceal carry tho.

Welcome from Northern Virginia!
    Glock 19
    NRA Member, Harley Wide Glide Rider
    Michigan Born and Raised

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Thanks.. I really like the ruger sp101. Its a nice gun a little to big to conceal carry tho.
    It's actually fairly easy to conceal carry, and as mentioned, the solid frame with good weight provides less felt recoil. Revolvers are definitely easier to carry with less sensitivity to its surroundings and the ammo. The Ruger SP101 will shoot any .38 or .357 ammo you put into it.
    * Glock 27
    * Remington 870P

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.

Since you asked and say that you are partial to revolvers. My wife recently moved from a semiauto to the Ruger LCR and has never looked back. She can shoot anything but finds the trigger, the mild recoil and light weight of the LCR to be just what she wants to carry and shoot.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    Welcome from the Lone Star state!
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

Welcome from Hampton Roads.

Go to arange that has several guns available to rent/try to see what you like.

Any thoughts on the caliber you want to carry?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links