Hi ....I Am Tanya

Hi ....I Am Tanya

This is a discussion on Hi ....I Am Tanya within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; i am a 27 year old female from PA. I am married with 3 children, twin 4 year old boys that have autism, and a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi ....I Am Tanya

Hi ....I Am Tanya

i am a 27 year old female from PA. I am married with 3 children, twin 4 year old boys that have autism, and a 2 year old little girl.

I have never even held a gun in my life. Recently i was put in a situation where i have been left uncomfortable, and the only option i feel would deal with it appropriately is owning a gun.

I have discussed this with my father (who owns multiple guns) but they are all older, and my cousin who helped me decide that a gun was a good decision.

He is taking me shooting the weekend after easter. There is a part of me that is really looking forward to not being scared anymore, and there is this part of me that is Terrified of having a gun in the house with children.

I want a handgun. I don't know anything about sizes or anything. I want all the safety features, just in case the God forbid things would happen. ( I am a severely paranoid mommy, and overly protective of my children and always fear the worst...)

So yeah that is my introduction....so hi.

Welcome to the forum!

Get the training and don't forget you will have to have a safe to keep firearms away from the kids.

Wow you came to the right place, welcome.
    Do some browsing around on this site and you will learn a lot. I know I have.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Take the time to try different pistols. Get one that fits you and with recoil that you can handle.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

ntg
    Welcome....and here's a helpful read for your spare time:

Cornered Cat

The lady is very knowledgeable and informative, especially for the females who are interested in carrying. I'm a dad of 5 and found some good advice and tips.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Welcome

You came to the right place.

Hi Tanya,

Welcome aboard! You came to the best forum for defensive use of guns on the internet. I hope you will stay and become an active member here.

This is a great place for making friends and learning about what is considered by many to be an ugly and terrible topic. We talk about defending ourselves and our loved ones from being killed by criminals. It's an ugly topic to think about possibly killing a person in order to save ourselves. Hopefully, within the pages of this forum and with the support of fellow members here you'll be able to understand more about yourself and what you are capable of doing and you'll also learn about the bad guys and definitely what they are willing to do to you.

A lot of knowledge can be gleaned from these pages and we sometimes get into some very heated discussions. But the moderators and administrators do an outstanding job at keeping things civil and relevant to the topic at hand.

You are taking a big step in deciding to learn about, and purchase a firearm for defensive purposes. That is an important first step for anyone! Coming to terms with what dangers lurk in this world and what role one must take to protect themselves and their loved ones is no small issue. Just understanding the role the police play and realizing they are not going to be there when your life is on the line is a realization many people just never understand. By their very nature, the police is a reactionary force and can not, nor are they required to be there to prevent violent crime when it happens. They arrive after the fact in an overwhelming majority of the cases. Oh, they would love to be able to stop it before it happens, but they just can't physically respond in time when they aren't even called until after the crime or as the crime is in progress.

You have a lot to learn about the role and use of a gun as a defensive tool and even what type, or kind of gun is going to be right for you. I will caution you to take your time and do plenty of research. It is important to get help and advice from knowledgeable friends, family and experts... But in the end, you need to find the weapon and caliber which is going to work for you. So let knowledgeable people guide and assist you, but make up your own mind on what is going to work for you.

Feel free to ask anything you want. Use your common sense when evaluating the advice offered. We have a very large female membership here who can also offer excellent advice which might be specific towards female shooters.

So again, Welcome Aboard and hope you'll become one of our active members.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Welcome, your at the right spot to start into gun ownership.
    Just remember two thing
    (1) breath
    (2) get some training from a qualified instructor , it will give you a lot more confidence.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Welcome aboard, +1 on the Cornered Cat site!!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Welcome aboard. You have made the right decision. I know you will find very useful information here just as I have. Good luck with the journey. Stop to take a breath every now and then and remeber to enjoy the process.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Welcome Tanya from NE New Jersey.
    Stick around...this is a great place to learn.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Victoria, B.C.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Thank you all for the advice, i will check out that website in a little bit. I will be learning as much as possible, because in two weeks i will be shooting my first gun (my cousin is taking me shooting.) and i really am taking this very seriously.

Again thank you and i am looking forward to learning more.

Invest in a lock-box you can quickly get into before you bring your weapon home.
    Peace through superior firepower
    making our world a safer place ...

Taurus 24/7 OSS 9MM
    Millennium PT-140
    Mossberg 12 Gauge

Welcome, and search the forum for safe storage from children, of course the safest place in on your person at all times possible.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links