This is a discussion on Newbie within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello from Florida. I'm a divorced, 50+ year old woman. I am waiting for my concealed weapon permit to arrive, and then I will get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Hello from Florida. I'm a divorced, 50+ year old woman.
    I am waiting for my concealed weapon permit to arrive, and then I will get serious about getting a gun for self defense.

I took a private three-hour safety class in which I was allowed to shoot several different guns. I felt most comfortable with the Glock 19 and Smith & Wesson M&P (.40 or was it .45? I would have to consult my notes.)

I did not try any guns that were smaller, even though the instructor suggested I try them to determine if the recoil was as much as I anticipated. Thoughts?

I thought I would attend a gun show here in a few weeks. Is that beneficial.

What else do I need beside gun and ammo? What do you consider the best storage. I do not have young children here, so it's not like I need to keep it safe from children.

I'm amazed at the reactions of my friends when I tell them I want a gun for self-defense. One friend is trying to convince me to get an alarm system instead (even though her husband pulled out his 9mm gun to show me).

Any advice you can give me is appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!!

(But I am moving your thread to the new members section! )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by SAH54 View Post
    - Welcome to the forum!

I felt most comfortable with the Glock 19 and Smith & Wesson M&P (.40 or was it .45? I would have to consult my notes.)
    - What's comfortable shooting isn't always the most comfortable to carry. I would definitely try a few different guns and possibly holsters to see which one you are most comfortable shooting AND carrying. Some of the thinner and lighter guns to look at are the Glock 26, Kahr PM9 and Walther PPS. Then there are also pocket size .380ACP like the Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, Kahr P380 and Sig Sauer P238. You'll probably end up owning more than one gun. You should also look at revolvers as you may like them more than a semi-auto. :)

I did not try any guns that were smaller, even though the instructor suggested I try them to determine if the recoil was as much as I anticipated. Thoughts?
    - My wife is 5'1 and barely over 100lbs. She doesn't have any problems with the recoil of a small 9mm like the Kahr PM9.

I thought I would attend a gun show here in a few weeks. Is that beneficial.
    - It's beneficial to get an idea about prices and to hold the gun, but if you can find a store with a range, renting would give you a much better feel.

What else do I need beside gun and ammo?
    - A good holster. There are a lot of sponsors at the top of the forum that have almost anything you need.

What do you consider the best storage. I do not have young children here, so it's not like I need to keep it safe from children.
    - I keep my firearms in a GunVault MiniVault. Even though there may not be children around, it wouldn't hurt to lock the gun up and make it harder for a burglar to steal your gun.

I'm amazed at the reactions of my friends when I tell them I want a gun for self-defense. One friend is trying to convince me to get an alarm system instead (even though her husband pulled out his 9mm gun to show me).
    - If you haven't been to Cornered Cat, there is a lot of information there for females.
    Cornered Cat

Welcome to DC
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

GM
    Welcome to the forum
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome from Maine.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Welcome to DC!
    As you can see, your first post mostly garners "welcome's". Some will try to help you along though.
    If you need more info, keep browsing around, and keep asking questions!

Good for you getting your permit!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Welcome from Central Texas!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Missouri.

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia. Kick your feet up and stay a while.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome to the forum!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Welcome from South Carolina...I encourage you to check out Cornered Cat which is designed to answer questions from the ladies side. Also I have tried to give some answers to some of your questions in BOLD below. The key to your development in carrying concealed is TRAINING...TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.

I am waiting for my concealed weapon permit to arrive, and then I will get serious about getting a gun for self defense.

I took a private three-hour safety class in which I was allowed to shoot several different guns. I felt most comfortable with the Glock 19 and Smith & Wesson M&P (.40 or was it .45? I would have to consult my notes.)The three hour safety class is just the beginning of your journey. Seek out professional training from a reputable individual/school and build upon the knowledge they impart to you. The Glock 19 is probably one of the most reliable Self Defense weapons you can carry. Easily conceable.

I did not try any guns that were smaller, even though the instructor suggested I try them to determine if the recoil was as much as I anticipated. Thoughts? I encourage you to develop your skills with ONE dependable carry weapon initially. As you develop your skills, then you can perhaps getinto the smaller weapons that definitely do have higher recoil.

I thought I would attend a gun show here in a few weeks. Is that beneficial. Gunshows are a good feel of the land. Ask for advice on this forum and do your research BEFORE you consider buying anything at a gun show. Your advance research will save you money.

What else do I need beside gun and ammo? You also need a good gun belt and holster if you plan to carry either inside or outside your waistband. Otherwise you need a definite carry method for your weapon. What do you consider the best storage. Since you have no children, the best storage method is ON your person when dressed and within arms reach when not dressed. I do not have young children here, so it's not like I need to keep it safe from children.

Any advice you can give me is appreciated. Train and continue training. Train with reputable individuals/schools and train with DIFFERENT schools. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. Read and research these forums and again the information on Cornered Cat
    Good luck and stay safe!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links