Very new to the notion of guns!

This is a discussion on Very new to the notion of guns! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi all, My name is Eva and I don't yet have a gun of my own. In fact, the first time I ever shot a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very new to the notion of guns!

Very new to the notion of guns!

Hi all,
    My name is Eva and I don't yet have a gun of my own. In fact, the first time I ever shot a handgun was last weekend. Finally!
    I'm a fairly recent immigrant from the UK, where as probably most of you know guns are quite vilified. In fact my husband used to own a Ruger P89, that when I first discovered he kept in the truck, set me in a cold sweat. I've since mellowed!
    I want a CCW, for when I go to work, I'll be a resident in a charity hospital on the seedy side of town, going to work at the worst hours, and I intend on being able to protect myself. I don't own a gun or a CCW at the moment for 2 reasons. First, I'm not a US citizen, and in my home state of Lousiana, a CCW requires citizenship - but the papers are going in the mail this week! Second after finally firing some handguns I realize that I want to learn how to shoot first, get comfortable using a variety of rented weapons before I decide what gun I should get. I can see from watching my more skilled friends shoot, that practice makes a big difference in handling a gun with stronger recoil and I'd rather carry a caliber that didn't involve simply ******* of said BG.
    I think I'm going to be natural, as although I was scared by the recoil on the 9mm P89 I shot I was getting fairly good hits on target, I also used a .22 and pretty much hit the center of my target on every shot. Of course it had like no recoil .Years ago I shot a rifle at an army camp, an old .22 mauser, and was a pretty good shot with that. My friends shoot league down at the local gun club and I think that would be a pretty cool thing to get involved in, and really help with my confidence and ability to handle a weapon and improve my overall skills.
    I look forward to learning a lot from y'all.

Eva

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome Eva......it sounds as if you are well on your way to discovering the joys of firearms owner, shooting and interacting with your fellow shooters.

As questions to your heart's content here....we have a great wealth of knowledge here among our members.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Eva...
    Welcome! As a new shooter and new to this forum, you'll get your share of advice and opinion. But one thing we can all agree on--get training--training in the fundamentals of safe firearm handling, fundamentals of shooting, and then build on those skills to learn tactics and techniques to defend yourself and loved ones.

As a potential CCW-holder, be sure some of your training is on the familiarity of your state's gun laws--where you can/can't carry, etc.

Take your time and don't think you have to learn it all at once--and over time you'll be able to discern fact (law) from opinion. I recommend some on-line reading from http://www.handgunlaw.us

Happy shooting!

Mike in VA

Welcome Eva. I am also an immigrant from the UK and am just about to start the naturalization process.

A gun can save your life but it can also be a lot of fun, get training, try out lots of different guns, practice practice practice (especially safety rules).
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

VIP Member
    Welcome from Missouri.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Welcome! Have a pint on me.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Welcome

Glad your starting to learn handguns and wanting to make the effort to get your permit so you can protect yourself

Also check you local laws Because hospital Carry is illegal in Michigan and some other states from what i have heard.. My Permit states right on it i can't carry there.

I sure don't like having to lock my gun up in the car when i go to hospital for anything and its in a good part of town

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum Eva. Sounds like you have a good plan. Get out and practice shooting. When you are ready to buy a gun you will have an idea of your likes and dislikes. While you are waiting for your paperwork to move through the system you can take a CCW class so you are all educated on the laws of your state. Maybe you have already done this I'm not sure.

Have fun and enjoy the forums.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    Eva, welcome to the forum.

Yes practice will help, as will a good teacher. Good luck with the shooting.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Welcome, Eva

You've come to the right place This forum has a lot of smart and helpful people from all over the country that will be happy to give you advice on all aspects of firearm ownership and usage. Please ask any questions you might have...someone will post an answer pretty quickly
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Sounds like you have a good plan, Eva. Welcome From Rocky Top Tennessee

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Welcome to the board eva , and to shooting .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Hello Eva -

Another Ex Brit here, who last year became an American. Keep that paperwork going - it's a long haul but worth it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome, enjoy learning to shoot and stay safe. Bring your husband around to join in too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Welcome, Eva. Former Louisiana resident here. Spent 14 years in New Orleans before moving back home to Alabama. My wife was not familiar with guns when we started the journey toward concealed carry. I just had her shoot several of mine a few times. I did not try to teach her to shoot. First of all I'm not qualified to do that, but more importantly it doesn't usually work. We took the NRA Basis Pistol course together and I stayed out of the way. She learned and is a much better shot than I am.

The key is to get training. Hope you enjoy your time at CC.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links