New guy here (warning: long ;) )

This is a discussion on New guy here (warning: long ;) ) within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey folks, my name is Erik and I'm from Phoenix. Have been posting under this nickname for years on various sites... The Firing Line, The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hey folks,

my name is Erik and I'm from Phoenix. Have been posting under this nickname for years on various sites... The Firing Line, The High Road, Glock Talk, HK Pro, etc. (I'm certain I've seen P95Carry on some of them) I also moderate on Armslocker, which is what brought me here... so here's a little to the story that some might find interesting...

I've always been a student of the human psyche and when there is a shouting match or even a physical fight, in the past I have gone out of my way to observe conflict up close and personal. I've been intrigued by everything from two kids arguing in a sandbox to a fistfight in a Mazatlan bar that ended up in a full blown riot.

Some years ago, I was posting on TFL and saw a guy posting as "hardin" making interesting remarks. I posted my thoughts on the thread. Received an e-mail a short while later saying "if you want to know what's real and what's BS, reply."

And thus began my acquaintance with the infamous John Davis. He directed me to Armslocker and the whole lot of us have had many discussions from which I learned a lot. I always saw JD kind of like Mike Tyson... now humor me on this one, please :). He has traits that most folks would completely abhor, but also some that many would be drawn to... like a trainwreck or a bizarre work of art, your choice.

In my opinion, the fact that he spent so many years in prison gave him the opportunity to refine his viewpoints on firearms to a degree that many of us probably will not. What I mean by this is that we most likely have families, hobbies, friends, leisure activities and such that act as veritable "distractions" from what JD would consider the purist pursuit of firearms and survival, as he defined it.

Therefore I set out to learn as much as he was willing to offer, understanding that it was from his point of view... and knowing very well because of my background in science that a single mind, in a vacuum, can reach erroneous conclusions if built on an unstable foundation. So while I listened to what he had to say, I kept this in mind.

While I was fascinated with JD's sheer volume of information, I was also someone repulsed by his continual desire to foment chaos. Being a new father to a 14 month old son, my eyes have been opened to how special life is and... not that I even harbored any animocity towards society in general previously, now I actively seek to make it better. Previous postings throughout the years on the multitude of forums I frequent are testament to this. The threats he made and the continual vitrol were tough for many to swallow, but truly I saw them in light of that which many have said - somewhat of a psychological disorder.

So now, it would appear the infamous "gunkid" will no longer be posting on the forums. As a moderator on the forum he frequented, I observed that even a single post from him would generate a lot of traffic. Things sure will be different and I almost feel as if a legend has passed, albiet perhaps one of the most infamous on the internet.

In any event, why did I come here? I honestly would have never found this place without it being mentioned on Armslocker. Because the vast majority of my interest related to firearms is particular to concealed carry, this seems like a great, focused board for me to learn from.

My current weapon of carry and the one I've used for the past 3 years is a P7M8, resting in a black Milt Sparks VMII holster. Carry load is two magazines +1 of 124gr +P Remington Golden Sabers. My only other pistol is an HK USP.45, which leads to my dilemma, to be resolved soon.

I am going to sell the USP very soon and the likelihood of me selling the P7 is high as well because I am going to focus on a single manual of arms. Most likely a 1911, as that is what I was raised on. Glock is a possibility, although I do need to rent both platforms side by side before I acutally decide. The P7 is perhaps my favorite platform due to the things that sets it apart from other pistols... the problem is twofold... 1) it is no longer in production and extra magazines are going for about $80 and living paycheck to paycheck makes it tough to keep. 2) The manual of arms is unique and because I prefer the .45 ACP for sentimental reasons (i.e. with quality ammunition I feel handgun rounds are very close in terms of stopping power, feeble as it may be) I won't relegate myself to a single handgun.

In any event, I guess I've just about scared most folks off at this point :). If you are still reading, cheers and thanks for giving me your ear. If you'd like to learn more about me, I could talk on and on and on... but the most efficient way is to either do a search for my username at some of the aforementioned places or to look me up on myspace... my account is http://myspace.com/dimworks, where I have some pictures of myself, my son and my firearms.

I'm looking forward to learning even more on this forum.

cheers,
    Erik

Senior Moderator
    The Lord works in mysterious ways...

Welcome to the forum.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to the forum.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum Erik.

Mr. Davis paid us several visits a while ago. His talent to "foment chaos" was not well received here and he was quickly banished. In fact all his aliases were also banished.

Hope you can find some interesting things to read and contribute to here. Enjoy.

P.S. P95 is the P95 you are familiar with from elsewhere in cyberspace.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator

Thumbs up Interesting Introduction

And complete with a Length Warning too!

I thought it was decently impossible to sort out what GunKid posted for pure shock value from what he honestly believed...though all was "warped & skewed" & so I always thought that his posts were somewhat amusing but, basically worthless.

Nothing that he ever spouted ever got me upset (in the least) since I've always considered the source & disregarded everything as Internet rant.

I hardly think that he has achieved any sort of status as an Internet Icon though I do freely admit that if he ever decided to write a book I would probably order a copy.

Anyway...Let me get back to giving you a Welcome to our forum.
    Since you are already an old "Forum Hand" - then please join right in here on CombatCarry.
    I'm sure that you'll have some great knowledge & things of value of your own to share with us.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Welcome!
    Curry

Assistant Administrator
    Hello Erik -

Yep - guess you've seen me around the net here and there And I won't hold it against you re the famous (infamous) GK LOL!

Jump in when you can - good to have you aboard.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome from Rocky Top Tennessee

Welcome to the group, Erik. Just remember:
    No matter where you go . . . there you are.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Good intro, Eric

Welcome to CombatCarry
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Welcome! Looking forward to some potentially interesting reading. Hopefully not about me
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Welcome to the board
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hi Erik,

I'm a member of Armslocker as well, as I found out when I figured I'd try to sign in before I signed up :D

This is a good group of guys'n'gals, one of the best on the internet I should say.

Josh <><

VIP Member
    Welcome from Missouri.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links