Moving to Putnam County from California and the process for obtaining a permit

This is a discussion on Moving to Putnam County from California and the process for obtaining a permit within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I will be moving from California to Putnam County in a few years and I would like to bring my guns with me. Unfortunately the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Putnam County from California and the process for obtaining a permit

I will be moving from California to Putnam County in a few years and I would like to bring my guns with me. Unfortunately the permit process doesn't seem to address the relocation issue. I concerned that I will have to surrender my guns and then go through the process to retrieve them.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? I would appreciate a response

Welcome to the forum from Southwestern Virginia. I'm confused by your post. You are moving from the State of California to Putnam County. Ok, but what State is Putnam County in? The only thing I can figure or assume is that Putnam County is still within the State of California. By your post it sounds as tho you have a permit for your guns and because of the screwed up California system, they are locked into your current address. So you're thinking you will have to turn them in, relocate and get a new permit for the new location is this correct? Shew... I say... you need to move out of California and your problem will be solved.

Sorry If my answer is not helping you, but I'm not a big fan of California's gun laws as well as several other locations. I would suggest that you contact your permitting agency and ask them how you will have to go about it. If they don't have some procedures in place for type of situation, then I'd say you're screwed and would have to do just what you thought.

Good luck to you. I still say move out of the state.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Putnam County, New York? A carry permit is up to the county judge who gets your application, but to the best of my knowledge there is no direct registration of firearms and no prohibition on possession at home - outside of New York City.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    Welcome to the forum . Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

There is a Putnam County in Florida and I will assume that's where you're headed. I can only speak for Florida, not California but there really is no issue of you bringing your guns here...just don't carry handguns concealed until you get your CWL. Congratulations on leaving Commiefornia.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Welcome, and I really hope your moving to Putnam country Florida, if so just come on in, just no concealed carry without a CWFL, and no open carry unless hunting, fishing, or camping.

Florida actually has a law that BANS registration by anyone in the State. I mention this since you say you will be moving in a few years, and its not to late to change it to the Gunshine state yet. Or heck Try Georgia, they are very similar in their laws, I just moved there and its actually kinda cool to OC when not out in the woods. So Georgia, or Florida are my two suggestions.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Welcome aboard from Jersey. Hope everything works out for you.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Where ever Putnam county is, it is my desire that you enjoy it there. Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Putnam County, New York? A carry permit is up to the county judge who gets your application, but to the best of my knowledge there is no direct registration of firearms and no prohibition on possession at home - outside of New York City.
    Incorrect. You need a permit to possess handguns in the state of NY. Long guns need no permit outside of NYC.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum....
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

There is a Putnam Co West Virginia as well. It's the next county up from where I live in Cabell.

Welcome to the forum to wherever your Putnam County is!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Putnam County WV?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!

Almost anywhere outside California is a move up, with just a few exceptions!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome from Orlando!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links