New to weapons

This is a discussion on New to weapons within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome to the fourm from Virginia....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New to weapons

VIP Member
    Welcome to the fourm from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first weapon
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum, this is a good place to enhance your shooting education.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia. You sound like you're off to a good start and you've come to the right place for some advice. There is an abundance of good advice to find here on the forum. Your local Sheriff sounds like a pretty good guy and has given you some good advice also. Take your time and try out as many different guns as you can. This will prevent you from wasting a lot of cash purchasing firearms that you later find out are not working out for you, and having to sell or trade them for something else, and taking a loss. A lot of forethought can go a long way here.

Take your time, enjoy shooting as many different guns as you can while making your decision. Everyone here is always ready and willing to give advice, just ask. Good luck, and again, welcome to the forum.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Congratulations on taking the first step to securing your personal protection! There is tons of highly valuable information in this awesome forum that will help you avoid some of the common mistakes that new gun owners tend to make. As previously stated, try to get your hands on as many different types of guns and calibers as possible and buy/carry whatever you shoot best. My advice is to stick with compact and sub-compact handguns so that you carry your weapon more often and comfortably, get a high quality holster and gun belt from day one, carry the biggest caliber you can handle (.38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum or .45 Auto) and get lots of training and practice. The best handgun brands for defensive carry are Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Heckler & Koch, Springfield Armory, Walther, Beretta and many premium 1911 manufacturers like Kimber, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, etc.. Most people in the US tend to carry Glock, Springfield Armory or Smith & Wesson M&P pistols due to reliability, price and availability of spare parts, accessories and aftermarket kits.

I didn't understand from your post whether you are a Judge seeking personal protection with a handgun or if you purchased a Taurus Judge revolver. Please clarify!
    Sorry for the confusion. I purchased a Judge. I recently from Penn State where I was an IT director. Great expertise with computers and smartphones but a real rookie with firearms.

This forum is fantastic. I've been reading and reading. Looking forward to taking the judge to the range and firing other pistols as well.

Thanks to all of you who took time to welcome me and provide insight.

Mike

Welcome from southern Louisiana!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia.

Welcome from NY

TDL
    Dont forget SIG!! My P238 carry is hands down the top .380 carry out there. I have tried to make it fail and it keeps on going, any ammo brand etc.. I would love to carry a glock, but lets face it, they get in the way sometimes. The P238 I can put in my back pocket. Very low recoil and deadly accurate out of the box! My young daughter loves it and so do I. I have big hands but somehow the little 1911 'knock off' fits me perfect especially with the extended magazine. Hogue makes fingered grips too for it. The bad guys would never see what hit 'em.. Just my two cents...

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from Tallassee, AL.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Texas!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Greetings from VA....via Germany. Lots of good information here...Recommend seeking additional training beyond the basics (after you've mastered the basics).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Welcome from Michigan. I cannot tell you what to buy, but enjoy the gun collecting!

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links