New to weapons

This is a discussion on New to weapons within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Purchased my first weapon for personal protection yesterday (Judge). Am scheduled to receive training from sheriff at the local pisto club, later this month. Looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New to weapons

New to weapons

Purchased my first weapon for personal protection yesterday (Judge). Am scheduled to receive training from sheriff at the local pisto club, later this month. Looking for advice on weapon to carry, holster, and related information.

Mike

2. Remove Ads

My basic advice is simply to read LOTS of the posts here, absorb lots of information, then start asking questions. The only dumb questions are the one that go unasked.

And WELCOME to the forum!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Shoot what you like and what you shoot best. I got the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster, as you can use it in 23 different positions. IWB/OWB, different cants, etc.

Oh and welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thank you sir! I've been reading and will ask questions. I've got a lot to lean but I'm patient.

Mike

If you have the opportunity to rent firearms at the local gun range its a good idea to rent a gun your interested in and try it before you buy it,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unfortunately, none of the local dealers rent. Fortunately, the local pistol club will train me and they will allow me to fire several different weapons. When I registered with the sheriff his advice "we need to get you to gun that you shoot the best with" sounds like your advice, dukalmighty.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Purchased my first weapon for personal protection yesterday (Judge). Am scheduled to receive training from sheriff at the local pisto club, later this month. Looking for advice on weapon to carry, holster, and related information.
    I would suggest getting as much hands-on firing experience with that Judge as you can. If you await your directed training with the Sheriff or deputy, you can ask all your initial questions there. One thing is certain: as your knowledge, comfort and competency levels change, your view of what'll work for you as a carried defensive sidearm will change as well. Better to soak up the knowledge and experience now, first, before investing heavily in a change in weapons, holsters, other gear.

I would suggest hitting as many different ranges as you can, where the ranges have a large rental stock of firearms you can try out. You'll get to feel the differences between many guns that way. This is important, since handling and firing them is the only real way to know the differences. And since ergonomics and fit as to "what's right" for you is almost impossible to know until you've got it in your furry little hands.

For a newbie in the defensive firearms area, I would suggest one initial piece of reading material beyond the general forums: get a copy of Massad Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme, which is one of the best books written about the carrying of a defensive firearm and the defensive use of deadly force.

Welcome aboard!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome from South Carolina...In addition to training, training, and more training, may I suggest one more book....Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I did a lot of research before buying my first handgun. I looked for the most common and reliable options based on comments. reviews and manufacturers' information. Then, I looked at caliber and prices (being my first handgun, I did not want to spend a lot). I narrowed it down to 3, and then I went to different gun shops looking for the best value. I ended up with a Glock 27, which to this day it is my EDC (I own 5 other guns now).

Good luck with your search and welcome!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Welcome from Kansas.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post

Mike
    Congratulations on taking the first step to securing your personal protection! There is tons of highly valuable information in this awesome forum that will help you avoid some of the common mistakes that new gun owners tend to make. As previously stated, try to get your hands on as many different types of guns and calibers as possible and buy/carry whatever you shoot best. My advice is to stick with compact and sub-compact handguns so that you carry your weapon more often and comfortably, get a high quality holster and gun belt from day one, carry the biggest caliber you can handle (.38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum or .45 Auto) and get lots of training and practice. The best handgun brands for defensive carry are Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Heckler & Koch, Springfield Armory, Walther, Beretta and many premium 1911 manufacturers like Kimber, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, etc.. Most people in the US tend to carry Glock, Springfield Armory or Smith & Wesson M&P pistols due to reliability, price and availability of spare parts, accessories and aftermarket kits.

I didn't understand from your post whether you are a Judge seeking personal protection with a handgun or if you purchased a Taurus Judge revolver. Please clarify!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome Mike.
    Stay safe.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links