Yes, I am a real pastor of over 20 years.

This is a discussion on Yes, I am a real pastor of over 20 years. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; As a Christian minister I struggled as to weather I should be armed or not, I discovered that as a profession in Florida there are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Yes, I am a real pastor of over 20 years.

As a Christian minister I struggled as to weather I should be armed or not, I discovered that as a profession in Florida there are many clergy men that have chosen to concealed carry. Several of my friends do, and I do because I am not willing to allow those I love to be hurt. I have decided to "turn the other cheek"; as long as deadly force is not warranted. Remember, Jesus told Peter to go buy a sword if he did not have one! The last thing I want to do is use my weapon, but I feel an obligation to defend the weak. I have had two instances in my life in which I could have killed a man, but I used other choices; I hope and actively pray I can always find a better way to end a problem without my concealed weapon.

I invite your comments to my approach to ccw as a man of faith. If I am wrong; tell me.

I too am a Christian and thought and prayed about this. One thing that The Spirit reminded me is this:
    "Do you really think that you can prevent a Soul from entering Heaven, whom I have chosen?"

"You cannot understand if you do not believe." St. Augustine
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

It is my considered oponion that all of lifes situations can be solved without violence if intervention occurres early enough and those in the situation maintain calm and reason in all areas of the situation. However, when one fool breaks bad all bets are off and every sane and reasonable person has an obligation to protect himself and his loved ones to the extent necessary and you occupation or religious affiliation must not get in the way of survival. Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee; stay alert; stay alive.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I have no problem with your decision. As an ex-LEO I've seen many that you can't reason with, no matter how hard you try. Remember, it's their decision to push a situation beyond talking.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Remember, it's their decision to push a situation beyond talking. -- Hiram25

DITTO!!!!!

VIP Member
    I was always taught the Lord helps those who help themselves, by that guidance whatever means you decide to use is acceptable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The Gospel Truth

Quote Originally Posted by DrPastor View Post
    I hope and actively pray I can always find a better way to end a problem without my concealed weapon.
    Like you, I struggled with the question and like you I made a decision about it.

However, please also consider the safety of the congregation. Please review this old news from Colorado.

Had the congregation had no plan, the outcome could have been somewhat different.

Please have an all-hazards disaster plan, including bomb, shooter, assault, etc.

I bet your local emergency manager would be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret
    I was always taught the Lord helps those who help themselves
    That extra-biblical guidance comes to you from Aesop's Fable. It is not expressed in the Word of God.

I hope that helps.

Be Blessed.
    Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA http://wx5em.us
    http://kc5fm.blogspot.com

VIP Member
    Welcome. I think you'll find many folks with similar values here.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I share your concerns, and as a man of faith have come to exactly the place you are -- I could not stand by and let my loved ones be hurt. I suppose I do carry it one step further; as retired member of the military, I still carry my sense of service and protection around with me. It would be difficult to pull the trigger, but maybe that's a good thing to.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia.

GM
    Welcome to the forum
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome from Jersey...and from a fellow pastor.
    A few thoughts with respect to your questions and concerns.
    1) Nowhere in the Scripture does the Lord forbid soldiering/LE, weapons and skill of war and self-defense. (e.g. David's Mighty Men).
    2) Throughout the Bible, the Lord describes himself as the Defender of the weak, the vulnerable, the defenseless and needy.
    3) The Lord is the Creator of life...and our natural instincts of self-preservation and defending our loved ones come from him.
    4) The Apostle Paul warns that those who will not provide for their own families (the necessities of life certainly include life itself) are worse than unbelievers. (1Tim.5:8)
    5) We are commanded to love our neighbor...and who is a closer neighbor than our family members and loved ones. We have every right and obligation to do what we can to keep them safe.
    6) There are consequences to sinful behavior. Armed felons who lose their lives while committing a crime are simply reaping what they sowed.
    Now obviously, the use of deadly force should be a measure of last resort...and generally, property isn't worth killing over.
    Persecution for one's faith is a different matter for a different discussion.
    And as people who love life, Christians are obligated to be as safe, knowledgeable, well-trained, and lawful as possible.
    This forum is an excellent tool/resource for reaching those goals. Enjoy.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links