Hello from Raleigh, NC

This is a discussion on Hello from Raleigh, NC within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey there everybody! After making my first smart ***** reply, I figured I should stop in and introduce myself. I'm in my early 30's and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Raleigh, NC

Hello from Raleigh, NC

Hey there everybody! After making my first smart ***** reply, I figured I should stop in and introduce myself.

I'm in my early 30's and live in Raleigh, NC. My wife and I have decided it is time to pick up some training, pistols, and CCWs. I grew up hunting and shooting in Indiana, but have little experience with pistols. I have shot a good bit through my Ruger .22 that my grandpa passed down to me, and a few shots from a .38 revolver.

My wife has never shot a pistol, but does have some hunting experience, and an understanding of guns in general. After a few weeks of browsing here, this seems like a great site. I have a few people that I have been using to gather some information on pistols, including my brother and a few four wheeling friends who are extremely knowledgeable.

Other than gathering info on different gun/holster/conceal setups and philosophies I am still trying to figure out the best way to get started. We haven't applied for any permits yet, and plan on swinging into some gun stores in the next week or so to take a look at a few options.

If anyone can tell me if in NC we have to have any permits to rent guns at a range, that would be helpful. Also wondering if we should take some general instruction classes before the CCW class, or if I should trust myself to walk my wife through the basics. I'm not sure what kind of general instruction we could get that wouldn't leave me feeling like we just wasted a bunch of money.

I'm going to call one of the local ranges to ask these questions as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here in the meantime.

Great site guys, and I hope to be able to contribute more in the future.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome and good luck.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

GM
    Welcome to the forum
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome! You do not need a permit to rent guns at the range.

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC

Quote Originally Posted by knuts6 View Post
    Welcome! You do not need a permit to rent guns at the range.
    Thanks. If you, or anyone, is in the Raleigh area, can you recommend a gun shop?

Lead Moderator
    Welcome!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. I also grew up hunting and shooting in Indiana. Been in Ohio since 1960, though, except for my time in the Army.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Welcome from South Carolina...I would suggest that you pose your questions in the Concealed Carry Issues forum and perhaps your training questions in the Defensive training forum. You'll probably get answers quicker that way as most people don't review this forum (at least I don't) once I've posted a "Welcome". Congrats on you and the wife making a decision to obtain training, a weapon(s), and pursue your CCW permit. Be Safe!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia. Check out the following sites for some information that may help answer some of your "future" questions.

Click on your state: Handgunlaw.us

Open carry information: OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

NRA ILA, click on your state: NRA-ILA ::
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome from Cary!!!!

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia.

Google the gun shops in Raleigh. There is a shop in Wendell, a pawn shop in Knightdale, Sovereign Guns in Fuquay (I like them) and many others to choose from. Do your homework and shop or you could pay too much. There is also a great gun show that comes to the fairgrounds run by dixie gun shows. I think that it is an every other month or once per quarter deal. Anyway, lots of great choices. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links