Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lets all be on the same team

2K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  gunthorp 
#1 ·
I made this video at the spur of the moment. Sorry there is about a 15-second section where I accidentally had my finger over the microphone. I hope this will help break through a little of the internet anonymity by seeing that I'm a real person. Since I never formally introduced myself to this forum many months ago, I figure this is a good place to start.

I also want to point out that through all of the flames we've had around here, never once have I suggested other people that they should do as I do. You can go back and look through the posts if you wish and see that I'm right. Also you will see that I've always maintained a cool head and been respectful of others, even when they are insulting me. I try to keep a higher moral ground than that.

So that all aside, I hope we can put an end to some of the flaming we've had around here and try to start again.

#3 ·
First off let me offer you a belated welcome from Virginia.

I've read quite a few of your post, some I agree with some I don't. That's the nature of life though. After viewing your video I have decided you can't be all bad, after all YOU ARE a cat person. :smile: Us cat people have to stick together, we seem to be outnumbered!

#5 ·
Well, I've got a Mac, and two cats, I carry chambered, and I haven't seen a whole lot of "flames" on DC? I do think it took some guts to put yourself out there and explain your point of view. If it gets too personal, the Mods should step in and calm everyone down before it gets to bad. Don't go away, give us a chance, and we may get it right before too long.

#10 ·
cats or whatever pet you take to; why do you even bring this subject up? but since you seem to want acceptance so desperately, i may point out that as long as you interchange those who disagree with you as being insulted, common ground will be difficult to find.

#14 · (Edited)
cats or whatever pet you take to; why do you even bring this subject up?
His cat - as with many of our pets - is a part of his family. And since the cat was there as he was filming, with the purpose of the video being to give us a glimpse of the man behind the keyboard, why not?

Besides, it's not like he really was the one who started into the cat stuff. Apparently, we've got quite a lot of cat-lovers in this community (although I'm a dog-guy, myself...I could never have a pet that's smarter than me :lol:).

...but since you seem to want acceptance so desperately....
I don't know that adric22 wants "acceptance," so much as for people to know who the person is that they are interacting with.

In virtually all of my online communities, I've actually met and made real-life friends. Most of these are local communities of common interest/hobby, but I've actually been lucky enough to, on some occasions, have physically met and shaken hands with "e-friends" from across the nation as well as the globe. Maybe acceptance is what we're all after...after all, we're all part of this community here, right?

I think the video is rather nice: I'd rather see a video like this than read a "new member welcome" any day. :smile:

#11 ·
You may wish to carry unchambered but you still carry. We are not that different. Same cause, same right.
On a lighter note, it is not like you bashed Glock or anything, that would have really done it!

#15 ·
Good job on the video, great way to do an "introduction".

DC is a great forum, be sure to stick around. Any forum can be a tough place sometimes if someone offers a thought or opinion that goes against the grain of the majority. Sometimes things aren't "absolute's".........so be it.

#16 ·
You got some cojones putting yourself out there like that compadre. Like I've said before, we are ultimately on the same team and when you boil it down we have far more in common than we don't. I hope you decide to stick around and keep learning from the forum. Stay safe.

#19 ·
Mod Hat Off (Meaning I'm speaking only as a member of defensive carry and NOT a moderator):

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and interact with other like-minded individuals (at least in a very broad sense).

Mod Hat Back On:
As a moderator, when I hear someone throwing the word "insult" or "the people who insult me on the forum" over and over again on a video or in a posting I want to find those people and those posts and do some looking into the matter. It is, after all, the job of the moderators to keep some semblance of order. We try to be fair and good enforcers of the rules without being too heavy handed or without playing to favoritism (no one is above the rules, not even other moderators).

Per our forum rule #2:
2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.

We have a saying here: Attack the idea/post, not the poster.

Two things often happen that lead people to believe they are being attacked or insulted:
1. Their idea/post is attacked so vehemently that it seems as though they are being attacked themselves (after all, it is their idea/post).
2. The idea/post is so repetitively picked apart that it seems as though that person is being singled out.

When, we, as moderators, step into a thread and are asked to read it objectively we find that the idea/post is being attacked (sometime to ad nauseum) but not many (or no one) is actually breaking any forum rules. We are left with very few options from a moderator stand-point.

What we CAN do is what I am doing right now--Reminding the forum members of the two greatest tools available to them!!

1. The Report Post Button
We moderators cannot be everywhere and cannot get to every thread to read every single post. Sometimes the only indication we have that a thread is "going south" is that a forum member reports a post and asks us to look into things. This button is a little triangle with an exclamation point inside of it located at the bottom left hand of every post. If you feel that post is out of line, PLEASE, report it! The ENTIRE moderating staff will evaluate it and a decision will be made as to the action to take. No reported post is gone unnoticed.

2. The Ignore Button
In any members forum profile, underneath of his/her avatar is a handy little button that says, "Add to Ignore List." It's unfortunate but sometimes two people just cannot get along. It's no different on forums and when the mud starts flying, to keep everyone from getting messy sometimes it's best if they can't even see each others' posts. That is exactly what the ignore button does. There have often been times when moderators have stepped in and given the ultimatum of either two individuals putting each other on ignore or both be banned because no one wants to read the internet drama that can come from two people trying to duke it out on a public forum. I know that you, adric22, know how to use this feature.

Now, also, as a moderator, I speak to everyone when I say that I would like to say I am more than a fan of wiping slates clean. I, for one, am really sick of seeing half of the threads that adric22 posts in become chamber/unchamber debate threads. If carrying chambered/unchambered is not related to the topic of the thread there's no reason to bring it up.

I'm also sick of seeing old laundry dug out of the closet and hung back out. People can learn from their mistakes and move on.. that includes as members here.. posts being brought up from threads long closed or dead that have no relevance to the current topic will be treated as they are: off topic.

I have been a member on this forum for a long time and I have found this to be one of the only forums I continuously come back to for information and camaraderie. However, every few months or years we have an influx of new members who throw things out of balance a little and it takes some time to get readjusted and everyone get acquainted with the rules and how we enforce them here on DC. But, rest assured we either find a working solution that makes everyone happy (or at least peaceful) or we remove the problem people. We don't like to do it but we will do it.

That being said I have seen far more upstanding and civil posts from members than I have seen questionable responses and those are the posts/members I would like to applaud and thank as well as hold up as the example of DC. I urge you, adric22, to take a look at those fine folks and see them for what they are (good people trying to help) and concentrate on them and their advice rather than zeroing in on the borderline or negative. And, as always, if you feel a member has crossed a line you are welcome to let a moderator know about it. We WILL look into it.

:smile:

#21 ·
I urge you, adric22, to take a look at those fine folks and see them for what they are (good people trying to help) and concentrate on them and their advice rather than zeroing in on the borderline or negative. And, as always, if you feel a member has crossed a line you are welcome to let a moderator know about it. We WILL look into it.
Limatunes, I complete agree everything you said. I will also readily admit that most of the people on the forum are civil, even when disagreeing with me. It is just primarily 1 or 2 users who are really the problem and it is so easy to focus on the one or two posts that are meant as personal insults to me and to forget about the others. Just for the record, I have tried PM'ing these people and pleading to them to reconcile and find some common ground. As a moderator you can probably look at those and see that I am telling the truth. Unfortunately, that turned out to be a waste of time. I have also tried reporting their posts to the moderators. I was told by the moderators that although the posts were immature, the poster was not breaking any forum rules. I have also used my ignore list, as a last result. Unfortunately, the forum still shows the users's posts but hides the text. So it makes it too tempting to click the unhide button and see what they said.

The last few weeks I've learned a few strategies for helping to keep the peace. For example, when posting a hypothetical question, I am now prefacing it with a disclaimer that I have no intention of doing such a thing, just wanted a discussion. In the past, when I've posted questions such as wearing T-shirts saying you are armed, it was nothing I had ever intended or even desired to do, but people perceived it that way and began to attack me. When I tried to explain later that it was only hypothetical, it was too late.

I've also tried very hard to read entire threads before posting. I am guilty of skipping around in a really long thread, as I think we all are. This can come back to bite me later when people will point out that an issue was already addressed in a previous thread.

I have also made it a point not to bring up certain touchy subjects anymore unless very relevant. Yes, I did bring up the tired-old chambered/unchambered argument yesterday, but I believed it was relevant to the thread as a person shot himself when drawing his gun. But I will make a promise from this point on that I will not mention that subject again unless somebody specifically asks or posts a thread regarding the matter.

I've had some difficulty settling into this forum, which I admit has struck me as unexpected. But after thinking about it, all of the other discussion forums I'm involved in are geek-related dealing with science, physics, computers, cars, etc. and the people in them are of a different personality and younger age-group than what I'm encountering here. So it has been a learning experience trying to integrate into such a different group of people. But I am determined and committed to making it work and making some new friends.

#23 ·
OP, relax and know that it takes all kinds to make this world go around, some are cool, some not so cool. We've all had our run-in's at one point here and there I would imagine, myself included. Whenever you have a discussion were the participants are passionate about the subject matter, there's gonna be a couple in the crowd that will take it to a uncomfortable level with little to no remorse. My advice, speak you mind in a civil but firm fashion and abide by the rules set forth by the site administrators and agree to disagree and be done with it.... If they don't like your idea or input, who gives a hoot, it is what it is; your opinion and not subject to their approval. Water off a duck's back I'd say. And, like Limatunes stated, and quite eloquently, the "Ignore and report" buttons are there and at your disposal should they be needed.

And BTW, Welcome to DC, from Ga. :bier:

#24 ·
OK, we are all on the same team. like in 3rd grade, there are no losers, we are all winners.

so, I'm cool and hello from an original state of the U.S. of A.

i remember well when my daughter came home from school and said those very words.
now she works in the real world and has long since come to the conclusion that some childhood
thoughts, while appropriate to the moment, are soon outgrown.

but, OK, I'll play.....if it makes someone happy and it cost me nothing, why not?

limatunes, my apologies if i hit the tether-ball back too hard. I shall endeavor to allow for the possibility
that there are those who need to be handled gently and be kinder in speach to all.

#25 ·
OK, we are all on the same team. like in 3rd grade, there are no losers, we are all winners.
When i said we are on the same team, I mean that as all of us our gun owners, and presumably CHL holders, we should be banding together to help each other and realize the real enemy are those who would take our gun rights away or attempt to do us physical harm.

#26 ·
i really do not want to get into anything with you

just say what you mean and mean what you say.
thus a lot less time will be necessary from you to re-explain it.
thank you

#30 ·
until it was revealed that you carry a Glock

everyone is entitled to one mistake....make it a good one.:scruntiny:
upside is if it is taken by the police,:wave:
they have taken nothing of value.:smile:

-------------

honestly, it is a great tool ( though how they can make them for $47.00 and sell them for $549.00 is a mystery to me...)
and to quote a famous also down under guy...."Never said i didn't know how to use it."

#33 ·
Originally Posted by adric22
As a moderator you can probably look at those and see that I am telling the truth.

Actually, no. We (or at least the "regular" moderators) cannot see PMs between members (nor do we want to..lol.. unless, of course, they NEED to be reported for forum rule violations). I'm not sure about the admins they could have special powers I'm not aware of.
To us regular mods private messages are just that: private.
You can report them to a moderator if they are out of hand but we cannot see personal exchanges unless they are reported.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI. Members should know that your private mail is truly private. Admin. cannot view Private Mail Messages.
Bumper has had it set up that way ever since I can remember.

Feel free to "talk" about us :rant: all you want to in Private Mail. What we don't know won't hurt us. :biggrin2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( though how they can make them for $47.00 and sell them for $549.00 is a mystery to me)

Actually the Glock frames can really be cranked out rapid fire.

BUT, ~ there are (count em) 15 Man/Machine hours that go into the creation of every Glock slide & the factory barrels are some of the most precise and accurate barrels ever made.
That is where the $$$ is. In the slide and the barrel.

#35 ·
FYI. Members should know that your private mail is truly private. Admin. cannot view Private Mail Messages.
Bumper has had it set up that way ever since I can remember.

Feel free to "talk" about us :rant: all you want to in Private Mail. What we don't know won't hurt us. :biggrin2:
Good to know! :smile:

#36 ·
I can't say that I have personally said anything negative to you or in reply to you, but I can say that I have read a few responses to the post you have made and seen that you have been looked on in some what of a negative light. It takes a big person to record a video and publicly post it as you did, so I tip my hat to you.

One question, why do you not wear a wedding band?

#37 ·
One question, why do you not wear a wedding band?
I used to for many years. But it was always a nuisance. In my line of work and hobbies, any sort of jewelry will be. Beyond the obvious issues of catching on the inside of electrical or computer equipment, or preventing me from being able to get my fingers down in a hard-to-reach spot under the hood of a car, there are less obvious reasons too.. When working with live computer equipment the ring can accidentally cross two low-voltage conductors. My finger would not be a problem, but the ring will short something out. Also there is the risk of damaging the ring or loosing it inside of something. I do have a wedding band, and I do wear it on occasion. Just not the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.