Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello from Illinois

1K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  searcher 45 
#1 ·
New here. New to guns. I've never owned a gun and have not shot one for about 30 years (shot my brothers .22 once). Although I'm a total newb, I'm interested in getting into guns. I am currently waiting for my FOID to come in the mail. Once I get it, I need to decide what gun to buy. My interest in guns is for range and home defense. Here in Illinois concealed carry is not allowed, hope this doesn't bar me from participating on the forums.

#2 ·
Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! You are welcomed here, but I can't say that I agree with your State's view on gun laws.

#3 ·
Thank you for the welcome. There are many here in illinois that don't agree with our gun laws. There are also many that are trying to get the laws changed. It's un uphill battle! From what I've read since deciding to buy a firearm, we have the worst gun laws in the country. Odd since we have such good hunting here.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard from Virginia. As for your gun laws there in Illinois, your best bet in changing them is to cut Chicago and the surrounding countys loose from the rest of the state and let them sink into Lake Michigan!

#15 ·
Welcome from St. Louis area Missouri... I spend a lot of time in Illinois on business. If you are near Belleville there is an indoor gun range where you can rent firearms right across from the Belleville News Democrat offices on Hwy 159. I suggest going there, shooting several & getting some time to decide what you do and do not like.

If you dare venture into Missouri on a weekend I would be happy to let you shoot a few toys at my local range... I can bring a friend for just $5.00 and I have a range of calibers available.

Welcome aboard. You do not have to be a gun guru to hang here and learn...

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I am here hoping to learn about firearms. Been doing lots of reading online, more confused now then ever! Plan on taking a firearms training class. Didn't know you could rent firearms at ranges, I'll have to do that to help me choose. Thanks for the tip.

North and South Illinois. Good idea, but I'm from the north! Live in the Chicago suburbs. Lots of local ordinances I have learned about. Thankfully the 'burb I live in doesn't have any restrictions beyond what the state imposes. Looking forward to getting a gun.

#19 ·
Hello and welcome from the "Gunshine" state. :palmier:
The best advice I can give you regarding Illinois is...Run "Squidzit" run...move before it's too late! :rofl:

#20 ·
-
Congrats on starting your process, although I'm sorry that you have to do it under the restrictions of your home state. Stay safe, keep learning about those laws, & keep up the good fight.

Welcome to DC, from Minnesota!

#23 ·
Welcome from South Carolina...

#24 ·
Welcome from Orlando, Florida.
Grew up in Central Illinois. Champaign to be exact, and was a member of a couple of great gun clubs. Since Wisconsin recently passed a CCW law, hopefully Illinois will be soon to follow. There is ton of great information on this site. Read, particpate and ask questions. Be glad to help any way we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.