Newbie Reporting

Newbie Reporting

This is a discussion on Newbie Reporting within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey everyone. Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I'm brand new to guns - never fired anything other than a BB gun. As ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie Reporting

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I'm brand new to guns - never fired anything other than a BB gun. As an American adult, I feel deprived.

Anyways, I've always been fascinated with firearms and have great respect for those who share knowledge and experience with such. Now that I'm moving to TX, the possibility that I can obtain a concealed carry permit is a real possibility. So, after perusing the web I found this forum.

There's some great resources on the DC forums and I thought it would be a great place to join and learn from.

If anyone could provide me with some directions on how I should start practicing with firearms and what material I should study, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Since your new and wanting to learn, my suggestion would be find an NRA firearms trainer and take their beginner handgun course. They will teach the basics as well as teach you safety, safety and more safety.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Welcome from SC. Definitely get a beginners course, and keep getting training from there. We should never stop learning.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Hello and welcome from Florida.
    AMEN to what "archer" said...it's all about safety, first, last and everything in-between.
    After that safety course, go to a range that rents guns and have some fun.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome from Virginia.

Since your new and wanting to learn, my suggestion would be find an NRA firearms trainer and take their beginner handgun course. They will teach the basics as well as teach you safety, safety and more safety.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I have a question - Do I need to already own a handgun in order to be eligible for the beginner handgun course?

VIP Member
    No, owning a gun is not required for the course. I say that, but check with the course instructor to verify what is needed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I have a question - Do I need to already own a handgun in order to be eligible for the beginner handgun course?
    It depends on the course. My sister found a newbie course sponsored by the NRA that provided a variety of handguns to try out, ammo, and even included lunch.

Welcome from CO, I'd echo what's already been said. Learn safe gun handling skills and don't neglect to practice them once learned. This is an interest where negligence truly does get people killed now and then. A bullet has no master once it leaves the barrel. Find a range and some friends that shoot (shouldn't be difficult in Texas), try different guns to find one to your liking and become proficient with it...then you can continue to train, and think about totin' it around with you all day.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Welcome from okl.

Welcome to the world of firearms.
    Good to have you aboard.
    Lots to learn...lots to enjoy too, especially if you have a fat wallet.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome from Fort Bliss/Arizona

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee, yes, get some training and a lot of practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links