Newbie from MO, check out my new Springfield!!

This is a discussion on Newbie from MO, check out my new Springfield!! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello All While I've been reading all the info that I can for the past few months, and even started a few threads, I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from MO, check out my new Springfield!!

Newbie from MO, check out my new Springfield!!

Hello All

While I've been reading all the info that I can for the past few months, and even started a few threads, I have not introduced myself to everyone... I'm JC, I'm a lifelong hunter (only 28yrs old) and have just got into handguns in the past couple of years. I grew up on a farm and we always had a shotgun in the bedroom and one behind the seat of the truck... After high school I moved away to the city and never really considered the need to arm myself and protect myself, I became very liberal and believed that it would "never happen to me".

In the last 6 months I have really begun to change. I am now engaged and starting a family, I am realizing just how short life is and that we alone are responsible for protecting our families. While fishing this past summer I had a couple experiences that made me realize things are different "here and now" than they were when I was growing up in small town usa! I decided to take a CCW course and obtain my CCW permit, I received my permit last week and am so happy I took this step for my families protection.

Several of months ago I went out and bought this-

Glock 27, I really enjoyed this pistol and learned to shoot it fairly well. But, being a newbie to pistols and CCW I did not feel 100% comfortable carrying +1 with only one active safety. ( I know, I know, Glocks are the safest guns, 3 safeties, etc...) I just didn't feel comfortable drawing and reholstering, I just felt like a gun with an empty chamber is a bad idea.

It was at this point that I finally started doing some research and figuring out what my dream pistol would be. I figured out real quick when buying ammo that I would prefer a 9mm to the 40 cal that I owned. I also wanted one more level of safety, preferably a grip safety that need not be depressed when drawing/holstering the weapon. I did my homework and came to the conclusion that a Springfield was what I needed, and I just had to find one that was small enough to conceal easily. I went to my local gun/tactical supply store and found the pistol I was dreaming of, Springfield Arms 3.8"bbl XDM, it is the Compact model and is chambered in 9mm.. They gave me a reasonable trade price on my Glock as I could not afford both, I walked out the door with a holster and ammo for less than 250 difference.

So far I have put about 500 rounds through this pistol and I can tell you, it shoots like a dream! Very little recoil and easy to get back on target very quickly! My SO has now feels comfortable shooting the Springfield, she didnt like the Glock, I think the 40c was a little much for her. The gun is a little bigger than the Glock but in my custom IWB holster it disappears under a t-shirt 1 size large. My favorite thing about this gun is it comes with the extended mag which holds 19 rounds of your preferred SD ammo, I can switch mags in the eve before bed and now it is my HD weapon!

I really did like my Glock but in the end I'm 100% happy with my decision to get a Springfield instead although keeping them both would have been even better.

Again, I love the site and have learned so much from everyone, look forward to many more learning experiences.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

jace ... Welcome from SW Ohio & congrats on your new Spinger ... Glad to have you aboard!
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jace33 View Post
    Hello All

While I've been reading all the info that I can for the past few months, and even started a few threads, I have not introduced myself to everyone... I'm JC, I'm a lifelong hunter (only 28yrs old) and have just got into handguns in the past couple of years. I grew up on a farm and we always had a shotgun in the bedroom and one behind the seat of the truck... After high school I moved away to the city and never really considered the need to arm myself and protect myself, I became very liberal and believed that it would "never happen to me".

In the last 6 months I have really begun to change. I am now engaged and starting a family, I am realizing just how short life is and that we alone are responsible for protecting our families. While fishing this past summer I had a couple experiences that made me realize things are different "here and now" than they were when I was growing up in small town usa! I decided to take a CCW course and obtain my CCW permit, I received my permit last week and am so happy I took this step for my families protection.

Several of months ago I went out and bought this-

Glock 27, I really enjoyed this pistol and learned to shoot it fairly well. But, being a newbie to pistols and CCW I did not feel 100% comfortable carrying +1 with only one active safety. ( I know, I know, Glocks are the safest guns, 3 safeties, etc...) I just didn't feel comfortable drawing and reholstering, I just felt like a gun with an empty chamber is a bad idea.

It was at this point that I finally started doing some research and figuring out what my dream pistol would be. I figured out real quick when buying ammo that I would prefer a 9mm to the 40 cal that I owned. I also wanted one more level of safety, preferably a grip safety that need not be depressed when drawing/holstering the weapon. I did my homework and came to the conclusion that a Springfield was what I needed, and I just had to find one that was small enough to conceal easily. I went to my local gun/tactical supply store and found the pistol I was dreaming of, Springfield Arms 3.8"bbl XDM, it is the Compact model and is chambered in 9mm.. They gave me a reasonable trade price on my Glock as I could not afford both, I walked out the door with a holster and ammo for less than 250 difference.

So far I have put about 500 rounds through this pistol and I can tell you, it shoots like a dream! Very little recoil and easy to get back on target very quickly! My SO has now feels comfortable shooting the Springfield, she didnt like the Glock, I think the 40c was a little much for her. The gun is a little bigger than the Glock but in my custom IWB holster it disappears under a t-shirt 1 size large. My favorite thing about this gun is it comes with the extended mag which holds 19 rounds of your preferred SD ammo, I can switch mags in the eve before bed and now it is my HD weapon!

I really did like my Glock but in the end I'm 100% happy with my decision to get a Springfield instead although keeping them both would have been even better.

Again, I love the site and have learned so much from everyone, look forward to many more learning experiences.
    Welcome Jace33, Greetings from Wisconsin! Excellent choice for a weapon. Might I suggest Gold Dot 125gr jhp for ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    Welcome Jace33, Greetings from Wisconsin! Excellent choice for a weapon. Might I suggest Gold Dot 125gr jhp for ammunition.
    I have not decided on any particular SD ammo yet, from the testing I've looked at so far the GDHP seems to be the "best of the best". Although I'm not trying to start an ammo "war" I really like what i see from tests but dang, it is so expensive to shoot 200-300 rounds to make sure it will perform...
    I'm actually carrying Corbon DPX now (I know its expensive too, but what they had in stock locally), but planning to order 2-300 of either the GDHP or Ranger Talons to test and carry...
    Last edited by jace33; December 27th, 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Run on sentences, bad with grammar sorry!

Welcome from the East Coast!
    Enjoy the forum.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome from south of kc. You said you moved to the city? PC or stl.

Welcome from St. Charles, Missouri. Where do you shoot?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Glad to have you as part of the community!! You will enjoy the Springer.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

DW- I live in Joplin now, moved from Wichita Ks a few years ago... I'm sure Joplin is not a "City" to most...

I usually shoot @ a public outdoor range on conservation property by neosho mo, I also have a buddy with some property and am able to shoot there anytime as well...

Were you in Joplin for the tornado?

Welcome from Ohio.

Welcome...

from Cental Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Fort Bliss/Arizona

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jace33 View Post
    I have not decided on any particular SD ammo yet, from the testing I've looked at so far the GDHP seems to be the "best of the best". Although I'm not trying to start an ammo "war" I really like what i see from tests but dang, it is so expensive to shoot 200-300 rounds to make sure it will perform...
    I'm actually carrying Corbon DPX now (I know its expensive too, but what they had in stock locally), but planning to order 2-300 of either the GDHP or Ranger Talons to test and carry...
    Welcome to the forum!

Add Federal HST to your test. I've been using them in my CCW XD for a while and I've been very happy with them.

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links