Now that I've raided your fridge..

Now that I've raided your fridge..

This is a discussion on Now that I've raided your fridge.. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; ... jumped all over your couch and put my feet on your table, I\'ll introduce myself. :D I\'m Betty. I\'m 26 and I live in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I've raided your fridge..

VIP Member

now that I\'ve raided your fridge..

... jumped all over your couch and put my feet on your table, I\'ll introduce myself. :D

I\'m Betty. I\'m 26 and I live in Nashville, TN with five tarantulas and assorted fish.

I\'m a freelance graphic designer, and one of my gigs is being the art director for SWAT magazine.

I grew up with guns and enjoy owning and shooting them for sport, hunting and self-defense. Rifles, shotguns, handguns, new and old - they\'re all loads of fun. I also like knives.

And I can disassemble an AR without chipping a nail. :P

ONE OF THE OLE DOGS

Betty-- Just wanted to say Hi! As one of the ole Dogs-- I guess 60 qualifies, ;) I would just like to tell you that I am MOST inspired by your writings read here thus far. What a great shape this country would be if the young women growing up today could share your views. How refreshing you are. I would like to thank you for being there for all of us, and even moreso for the young ladies who might be (on the fence) due to the example of some of the lesser informed. :) PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!

VIP Member
    Well so long as you didn\'t kick the dogs when you were jumping on the couch and you left some food in the fridge, I\'m ok with all that. :P :D

Hey, where\'s my beer?

DC Founder
    Betty was also kind enough to volunteer (and I took her up on it, of course) to design a new header graphic for the forum. I think it turned out very well and I am forever grateful :)

I, too, am enncouraged at the women getting involved in shooting and carrying. I believe they are more influential than us guys in promoting our cause.

VIP Member
    Originally posted by Bumper
    Betty was also kind enough to volunteer (and I took her up on it, of course) to design a new header graphic for the forum. I think it turned out very well and I am forever grateful :)

I, too, am enncouraged at the women getting involved in shooting and carrying. I believe they are more influential than us guys in promoting our cause.
    Once I saw Betty\'s video posts with the knives, I thought that knife in the header looked familiar. ;) That is nice work.

armoredman, she took your beer? I can\'t drink beer anymore, so I didn\'t notice, sorry. ;)

I think she dropped some food though, because the dogs were happy.:D

VIP Member
    Well, you guys can help by taking more women out to the range. :P

I like to use myself to promote the cause - I guess I\'m perceived as being less-threatening to talk to and I\'m a \"non-stereotypical\" gun owner. While many fencesitters may not understand why a big man would want to carry a gun, they can learn why a small woman would. And I go from there.

Some people are hopeless, though - I was recently the object of some ridicule by some martial artists who said I was paranoid, didn\'t need a gun, I must be a wannabe cop, blah blah blah. And then one called me a drug dealer, because only a drug dealer would carry so much hardware.

Some people are incapable of seeing beyond their own little realities. These were men in prime physical condition telling a small female with a fused back what\'s right for her. While I can employ hand-to-hand skills, my 105 lb. butt is going to avoid any kind of physical confrontation it can, especially against a much larger, stronger male aggressor.

And that\'s why I carry a gun.

* I don\'t do beer. If you have any Stewart\'s Orange and Cream Soda, though - you\'d better hide it.:P

Range commandos

I think one of the men at the range where this lady shoots said something like \'That sure is a lot of gun for you little lady'while my friend was shooting her 1911.

She is the moderator for the Gals forum on [url=http://www.stoppingpower.net].

Another gal who shoots very well and is an excellent trainer in her own right is Vicki Farnam.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Betty
    Well, you guys can help by taking more women out to the range. :P
    Yup, I agree. I already have my 21 year old daughter hounding me to be sure and call her when I go to the range. She is a very good shot. When I took her the first time I was expecting her to like my S7W 9mm. Nope, she picked one of my Kimbers as her favorite. She is getting training gift certificates at the range for Christmas as is her fiance and our youngest son. They are both wanting their CCW :)

My wife on the other hand just doesn\'t like handguns. She does like small rifles, though. I guess you can\'t win them all....

ALL the blame isn\'t on us either

Betty is quite right as to other women-- In another thread here She was addressed as \'Dear\', by another women, whose name will not be found here. Hmmmm? Don\'t you just hate being talked down to. ;) One of my greatest thrills was helping a 8/ 9 year old at the range. All her Dad had with him was a rifle-- ok, but just plain too long for her-- I had a little Colt NF .22 and offered it up to shoot-- That little gal got the idea real quick, and went through about 3 boxes of ammo before She got tired. Her smiles were priceless. No calls from Mama when they got home either. :)

VIP Member
    Betty, you are absolutely right on both counts. When people talk to a woman about guns it is easier for them to understand why she would want to carry a gun for protection. When they see me (6\'2\" 215 lbs) they think I can just beat up anyone who would give me trouble. Yeah right.:P

You are also right that there are people who just don\'t get it. Calling you a drug dealer is just ridiculous however. I have a couple friends who are sumthin degree black belts and they both carry guns and knives. They have been tested on the street so they know their limitations.

I agree that taking women shooting and introducing them to shooting is a good thing. I have taken many women shooting for the first time. They all did great (better than first time men) and all shot everything from .22 up to 357 magnum. My wife is also an NRA Certified Pistol/Personal Protection Instructor and we typically hold a couple women only pistol courses a year in addition to our monthly pistol/CHP courses.

* In addition to no beer, no regular sodas in my fridge. Sorry :(

There are five wonderful women in my life right now. Wife and four daughters. All shoot to some degree. What they do for self defense depends on their own situation.

My wife has a CCW. Nuff said on that issue.

Oldest daughter (married) works for county gov\'t so cannot carry a firearm, but has a can of Fox OC in her purse at all times. She takes it out and carries it in her pocket while at work. Her and husband have a little acerage that we use for a range. She likes wheel guns and has no use for her husband\'s Glock.

Next daughter is in college and also carries Fox. There was a attempted assault in her dorm two years ago. The girls caught the guy and beat the crap out of him before security got to him and \"saved\" him.

Next daughter is in HS (home schooled)and has Fox for occasions when needed.

Next daughter is also a home school student and is now learning to shoot and how to use OC to her advantage. (Spray first and talk later)

I also have a son who has more guns than I do. He is a 27 YO single guy with more money than I ever thought of having at his age.

My wife was a moderate anti when we started seeing each other. She is on her second CCW permit, and is very happy with her CZ2075 RAMI 9mm.
    This didn\'t happen overnight, and I love her for having the open mind to look. She hugged me that first night, found my PPK in a shoulder rig, and I explained that was me, and I wasn\'t going to change. She did, and, after 9 years with my ugly mug, asks me when we are going to the range again for \"stress relief\"!
    Betty, fused back? I know a young lady who shoots regularly at the indoor range I worked at, (every Wed IDPA match too), who had broken her back years before. Against all odds, she could walk, though it is stiff and jerky. She stands about 4ft 11, if that, 80lb WITH gear, and looks like the worlds easist target. She also carries a custom Colt 1911 with two spare mags, and can easily hit what she aims at. The first rapist who tries anything with her will truely understand what Sam Colt meant about \"equalize\".
    I loved it when the women would come to the range and shoot, as long as thier significant other wasn\'t trying to teach them. Guys, don\'t take this wrong - let someone else teach, preferably a pro. It works better. You can coach, but be gentle and easy.
    Then there was the grandmother who showed up for CCW class, all 5 ft nothin'of her, with the revolver her son had lent her.....a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.................she qualified!
    Might go to the range tomorrow before work....the wife wants to try the new Mosin 91/30!

VIP Member
    My sister-in-law just got her carry permit. She doesn\'t shoot much, but she shoots well when she does. She packs a Glock 27.

Her boss likes to copy off of me. (Actually, he and my brother have to have what gear each other has, too.) Thanks to me, he has a Kahr PM9, a USPc, and a MOD Deiter II. Funny.

I loved it when the women would come to the range and shoot, as long as thier significant other wasn\'t trying to teach them. Guys, don\'t take this wrong - let someone else teach, preferably a pro. It works better. You can coach, but be gentle and easy.
    What really irks me about some people who take a new female shooter to the range (or any newbie) is that they have to show off their \"manhood\" by making the newbie shoot the biggest caliber gun first, giving little to zero instruction, and laughing at the results.

\"Hey lil'lady, try this .44 magnum snubnose.\"
    [sarcasm]Now that\'s a fantastic way to create a new shooter. [/sarcasm]

I saw a dad to that to his own daughter recently. Pathetic.

VIP Member
    Originally posted by Betty
    What really irks me about some people who take a new female shooter to the range (or any newbie) is that they have to show off their \"manhood\" by making the newbie shoot the biggest caliber gun first, giving little to zero instruction, and laughing at the results.

\"Hey lil'lady, try this .44 magnum snubnose.\"
    [sarcasm]Now that\'s a fantastic way to create a new shooter. [/sarcasm]

I saw a dad to that to his own daughter recently. Pathetic.
    You just hit on one of my pet peeves of people taking out new shooters, women or men. My uncle did that to me and soured my interest in firearms for years. He loaded up a 12 gauge double. Didn\'t bother to tell me how to hold it so you can figure the rest out. Both barrels went and I was flat on my back.

Anyway, I always start new shooters with a .22. From there we move to a mild .38 special then to 9mm and if they want 357 magnum. Everyone wants to shoot the magnum. Also new shooters never get more than one round to start. A guy around here loaded up the 44 magnum to do exactly what you said. well round one went down range, round two went through his cranium as the lady fell backwards. He\'s not laughing anymore. Of course the woman who was firing was destroyed by the incident.:(

I\'m with armoredman, I always recommend that guys not train their SO\'s or wives. It is just better to get someone else to do it. An instructor is the best because we have resources to do a proper job of it. I often will train someone for the cost of materials. If it is just an I would like to shoot a gun once deal then I will usually do it free, you don\'t get a book though. If you are after a CHP then I\'ll get you in our monthly class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links