I guess I have to break the ice sometime!

This is a discussion on I guess I have to break the ice sometime! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello all, I've been lurking this forum for several months now, but have never made a post. I'm from Texas and have been carrying concealed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess I have to break the ice sometime!

Hello all,

I've been lurking this forum for several months now, but have never made a post.

I'm from Texas and have been carrying concealed for about 3 months now, but have owned pistols for approximately 5 years. I currently carry a Kimber Pro-Elite .45, but I also have a couple of Ruger (P95DC and P345), and a Beretta Cheetah 86FS that my wife carries.

I'd like to seek the forum's advice on a new pistol purchase. While I thoroughly enjoy the Kimber and it shoots like a dream, I am a little uneasy about the low mag capacity. Should I be? I don't think I will ever be in a fire fight or anything, but I don't carry any additional magazines on my person. I am considering a .40 cal for my next purchase because I also like the thought of the more powerful rounds for my family's protection.

I'm a large person (6'1" between 280 and 300 lbs) so concealment of a large weapon is not generally a problem, but at the same time I don't want something as large as a full frame 1911 for concealed carry (don't want to switch carry weapons for summer time carry).

Here are the brands that I am considering. I know the advice will be a resounding - shoot them all and see what works best for me, which i fully intend to do, but I'm trying to eliminate guns that may not be right for me at all:

In no particular order.

Glock 19 - have shot a .40 Cal glock before and didn't like the grips. they seemed to be too square in my hands. However, I listen to a lot of podcasts and people who i respect their opinions speak highly of the weapon. Gunfighter Cast, Gun dudes, ...etc.

Smith & Wesson M&P40 - i have never shot or held one of these, but i do like the looks, and it is only slightly larger than my Kimber.

Beretta PX4 - I really like the way that my Beretta .380 shoots and feels from a quality perspective, but i have never shot this model. I have heard some negative things about this weapon however. I have heard it has more stoppages than it should...etc.

H&K P30 - I have shot this weapon in 9mm and it was extremely accurate and tight.

Springfield XD(M).40 - Have shot this weapon before and thought it was of good quality and felt good in my hands.

Guns I'm not considering:
    Sig-Sauer - i have shot several Sigs and i didn't prefer any of them to any other guns
    Taurus - I have shot some taurus guns before and didn't feel that the quality of the weapon met my standards.

I apologize for the long intro post, but am excited to be a part of this group and look forward to your comments.
    BIGRED1911
    Kimber ProElite Ruger P345 Ruger P95DC Beretta Cheetah 85FS

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

You'll probably get more responses to your question if you ask it in the "Defensive Carry Guns" sub forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good Morning Red, Welcome. Greetings from NE W.I. I'm partial to the XDM family myself. They have completely rebuilt the XD from the ground up. If it feels good in your hand and placement is where you want thats half of your choice. From my perspective the Glock just doesn't sit well in the hand. The quality is there in both. Good luck on your selection.
    Last edited by WD54241; January 7th, 2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added

I have had my CCL for only a month now. While I was waiting for the mail I spent time at the range with my Beretta PX4 SC .40 I think it is very reliable. Never a "stove pipe" or other feed or eject problem with 600 down range. One problem I do have with the Beretta is it is too heavy for me to carry for long periods. I am 5'11" - 185lbs. I also have an LCP that is easy to carry and looking for a lighter 9mm.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Thanks to all for the suggestions I will repost in the guns section. I appreciate your help.
    BIGRED1911
    Kimber ProElite Ruger P345 Ruger P95DC Beretta Cheetah 85FS

Welcome! I love my XD 40. I dont get the snappiness everyone talks about with the 40, but I shoot it pretty well for my standards. I did not like the ergonomics of the Glock, but wanted similar characteristics. You wont be disappointed with it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia. Sounds like some good choices there.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Regardless of your carry choices, you should always carry spare ammo, and not just for additional shots. For automatics, the main reason is that magazine-related problems are the most likely cause of a gun stoppage, and a spare mag can likely get that gun running and back in the fight.

I routinely carry a 1911 and a spare mag, and I don't feel under-gunned with 17 rounds on board. Likewise with the Kahr CW9, 15 rounds total.

You already have a handle on which guns you don't like; I'd look for a range with a good selection of rental guns and fly before you buy. Should be easy to find Glocks and XDs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Since you already have the Glock-19...just try grasping the grip on a Glock-36, you'll be amazed by the difference in a single stack.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a brotherhood/sisterhood here where there's no "ice to break" - well, unless you eat that wimpy picante sauce from NYC

Texas Baby Food.jpg

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

Since you already have the Glock-19...just try grasping the grip on a Glock-36, you'll be amazed by the difference in a single stack.

ret
    The O.P. doesn't own glock 19 and is somewhat concerned about capacity, something a glock 36 doesn't have...

Welcome from Fort Bliss/Mesa, Arizona
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links