Hello from Fl - my first question

This is a discussion on Hello from Fl - my first question within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Great forum - glad that I found it! I'm planning on taking the class for my CCP very soon and I'd like to hear your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Fl - my first question

Hello from Fl - my first question

Great forum - glad that I found it! I'm planning on taking the class for my CCP very soon and I'd like to hear your thoughts and advice on my CCW but first a brief history: although I own several weapons I have not fired a single one of them in 15 years. I'm partial to the .45 auto's; having a H&K P9s and a Colt Govt.

Recently a friend of mine that is a police officer suggested I get my CCP and a Glock 36. So here is my question(s):

Your thoughts on the Glock 36 (the capacity doesn't concern me): I haven't located one to hold in my hands yet. How about the kick (I've read conflicting reviews).

Is there another caliber & pistol you'd suggest with comparable stopping power?

I think the lighter weight is important since I've never carried on before.

Do you advise adding a laser? Which one?

Thanks in advance,

Kwesi

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Hello from NE KS. I think the G36 is a fine weapon. No laser for me, I might burn my eyes out.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome. Nothing wrong with Glock pistols. If you are used to 1911 pistols the glock grip angle might not fit right for you. Check out HK's, XD's or even light weight 1911's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    As far as the laser is concerned for a GLOCK, I'd recommend a Lasermax.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I have no experience with a G36 specifically, but Glocks in general are good guns. As for the weight, you will get used to whatever you carry, I personally don't have a problem with weight and I carry a heavy gun. Have limited experience with lasers, so no opinion there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Welcome -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Welcome! from Virginia

The Glock 36 is a lot of power in a nice little package. I suggest that you resist the temptation to get the +1 mag extensions. They are more trouble than they are worth.

As for the laser. They are nice gadgets, and some folks swear by them, but I find the only thing I ever used them for was for target practice, to help me identify bad trigger habits. You may find a good set of Night Sights more useful.

I am not sure, but I think the only laser available for the Glock 36 at this time is the Lasermax (MSRP $339). Crimson Trace makes LaserGrips for most Glocks, but don't have any for the Glock 36 yet, and the Glock 36 doesn't have a rail to mount an external light or laser.

All that said, I do not currently own one. I have owned two on separate occasions, but found my current ride more appealing.

Best regards.
    Last edited by p8riot; August 21st, 2006 at 10:21 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    oooo....you got an HK P9S .45 ACP....nice! Target or Combat? I have a 9mm Combat.

Oh! Hi and welcome to the forum!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

glocks are good guns and lots of people won't shoot anything else. Me personally I'll keep my 1911's
    Kimber S/S tle pro

By the way welcome to the forum
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Welcome from Texas
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

I have no personal experience with Glocks, but I think my next (eventual) acquisition will be a Model 30 or 36. If you get one, be sure to post your impressions!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama. Glocks are fine pistols, but as for owning one people either love them or hate them. My brother-in-law sold me his S&W model 439 because his son had convinced him to buy a Glock as his duty weapon. Both are deputies in Dallas Co., AL. He kept it for about 6 months took a beating in selling it and bought a S&W model 639.

The complaint of most people who are in the "hate them" camp like my brother-in-law is the grip. Most describe it the same way - It's like gripping a 2X4. The trigger is the other complaint. That said, I don't fall in either group. I have not fired a Glock, in fact I have never even held a Glock. I don't particularly like the looks and so I've never bothered to even look closely at them.

The suggestion that works best is to try out some Glocks. The 36 if you can, but even if you can't try that one try several others. See how they feel to you. I you like the feel and the firing go for it. If you don't look elsewhere. There are a number of great pistols out there. You will probably get a number of suggestions and so I'll give you mine. SIG - great pistols in all sizes. I have 2 and am looking for one for my wife. Although I do not own one CZ is getting a great reception and good reviews from both the gun press and real users. And to keep with tradition, I still feel like a M1911 is an extension of my arm. There is just something about it that fits. I don't own one at this moment, but that is subject to change shortly.

Try some on for size and get what fits.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    And - another hello

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links