Old Guy Carryin

Old Guy Carryin

This is a discussion on Old Guy Carryin within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I fellow carriers. I am in my 60s and recently started concealed carrying for safety. I'm a Vietnam vet and use to carry a 1911 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Guy Carryin

Old Guy Carryin

I fellow carriers. I am in my 60s and recently started concealed carrying for safety. I'm a Vietnam vet and use to carry a 1911 45 side arm, but haven't since leaving the army in 1970. Currenty carrying a Glock 19 or S&W Sigma .40 cal. It was difficult for me to start carrying with a round chambered, felt I was asking for trouble. Everything I read said carry chambered, so now I am. My daughter lives alone and is asking about a home defense gun. Any suggestions? Wouldn't want to get her anything smaller than 9mm. She lives in NJ and can't get a concealed carry permit. Just nice to have a forum to talk and exchange ideas with liked minded people.
    Carryin45

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia. As to a home defense gun for your daughter, I'd recommend a short barreled 12 gauge pump shoygun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

First thing about your daughter is her lack of experience? Keep in mind that the short sight radius of the snubbie, or sub-compact pistols with shorter barrels creates a need for a ton of practice for most to achieve not only accuracy, but confidence to go along with it. It's that second nature thing of (hopefully) not shaking hard in a 'real' situation, and letting plenty of experience kick in. As an example, my P6 (9mm) has nearly a 4" barrel, which helps with the accuracy part, and after quite a few years of shooting various sizes, and big calibers in competition-having more confidence to aim, and shoot! One of the positives of the 9 is moderate felt recoil on the Hiker1911 scale.
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. For strict home defense a shot gun is hard to beat.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

welcome from central FL
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Take her out shooting see what works for her, shot guns are great for HD hand guns are to if you are willing to do some training (and more fun at the range).
    Her input with some trigger time will be the most valuable. If you cannot get up there with her I am sure people here from her area can give recomendation on ranges that have rentals.

And welcome to the forum from East TN
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Welcome to the DC Forum from Newark!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Some kind of shottie or small revolver for the lady...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from KY ....... As for the daughter, first on the list, would be take her to a range n let her shoot .....not sure if she is familiar with guns... i am thinking for HD, a short shotgun of some sort, and would almost go with a 20 gauge, depending on where exactly she lives, you can always reduce recoil in a 12 with the shells , just whatever she is comfortable shooting is the best.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Welcome to DC from Ga...

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Welcome to the forum . Remember, it is never too late to start exercising or carrying a firearm .

IMO a shotgun would be good for home defense, and also a full-sided 9mm or .45 ACP handgun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Hello from S.E. Wisconsin. I for one would go with the Mossberg 12 gauge pump shot gun. JMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Welcome from Ohio.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links