Hello from oregon

This is a discussion on Hello from oregon within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey there everyone! My name is Olallie ( obviously not my real name which makes that sentence slightly absurd ), and I hail from the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from oregon

Hello from oregon

Hey there everyone!

My name is Olallie ( obviously not my real name which makes that sentence slightly absurd ), and I hail from the wet, but beautiful Pacific Northwest.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to put in here, so I will start with the fact that I work as a manager at a Outdoor Outfitter / hunting and camping shop.

I am 32 years old, and am an amateur firearm enthusiast. Of course I hunt everything that is legal in my state, and admit somewhat guiltily that I do fish on occasion, if there is nothing to hunt ( gag, retch ).

I am a card carrier, and have just recently switched alliances ( bear with me on this ) and I am sure some of you will know what I am talking about.

My dad was in the army where he qualified as expert ( on three different weapons ) during Vietnam, But as a lover rather than a fighter, once he got out he never touched a gun again. Thus everything I have learned I have had to teach myself, having no desire to let ignorance make me a victim.

One day, I was on a midnight hike ( I do not recommend this to anyone ) with my girlfriend ( who is now my wife of 4 years, thank the stars above ) when I realized we were being stalked by a cougar ( will go into details if asked ). As I am sure you will understand, being the ridiculously sobering experience that was, as well as being educated for the very first time in my young and somewhat naive life exactly where I stood on the local food-chain, I went out to the local gun shop ( where I now work ) and bought me a gun.

I have since attended many self defense courses from qualified police instructors as well as our local graduate of the lethal force institute, and a shooting course from an ex-special forces instructor.

I began with a Walther P99 in .40, found out that I shot like poo, and began the lengthy and expensive habit of buying and of course selling ( insert gasp here ) firearms, but my true love is sidearms. Doesn't matter caliber, make, model, color, steel, polymer, etc.... Heck, I wouldn't even be too proud to carry a pink gun ( in my defense, 1. No one would ever steal it and 2. If a guy pulls THAT on you you know two things, he ain't kidding, and yes, he's that pissed off ).

I fought for years against a very close friend ( a 1911 fanatic, don't ya just hate those guys? ) who has sworn to me that the only weapon worth owning was a 1911. This is pure nonsense.

To date I have owned ( and mostly still do ) a Walther P99 in .40 ( which always shot left, no matter what I did ), a Glock 19 ( 9mm as we all know ), a Springfield XD sub in .40 ( which I am proud to say is now my wife's 2nd best friend, or at least that is what she tells me ), a taurus 85 in .38, a ruger SP101 in .357 , another Taurus m85 snub in .38........

For some reason, I became marginally a better shot with a greater understanding of stance, poise, breathing, etc..... due in large part I am sure to my exposure and budding experience with many different handguns. I still miss on occasion with these though....

But, three weeks ago, I contracted a nasty and debilitating disease.

Yes, it it true. I lament to say I was bitten, and have now contracted the dreaded sickness. Not zombieism as such ( although I have a healthy respect for those folks, they're just trying to eat after all ), although admitting this sickness has plagued me and led to disbelief, ridicule, and quite a few smirking I told you so's.

Three weeks ago I purchased a 1911. ( insert blood-curdling scream here. )

And as I am sure numerous folks here will understand, I can hardly stand to shoot any of my other "friends" ( blatant lie, I still love 'em to death. Just won't reach for them when trouble knocks on my door if that 1911 is hanging out) anymore. After firing this marvelous piece of equipment, and having yet to miss a single shot, both two-handed and one, single shots or double taps, chapman, weaver or my own hybrid style my buddy coined as " ugly, but effective", I truly have to agree with him, which makes me ill. The darn things just plain shoot themselves. I feel more like a passenger than the operator ( that is the current extent of my praise as I don't want to make any of my other "girls" mutiny on me, let alone prove the 1911 guys right ).

So here I am, joining this chipper little community of like minded individuals ( whom I have read and enjoyed, laughed with and disagreed with, not as a member but as a conscientious bystander ) and finally decided to become a part of this.

So, glad to see you all and hope we get along famously!

( Apologies by the way, I am also an amateur writer so I tend to be a bit long-winded. ) Say hello, throw your opinions my way ( which I mostly will disagree with on principle ) and generally make yourselves at home on my desktop and in my thoughts. God knows there is room! Just please don't try to sell me on Sig, I will never, ever budge.

-Olallie

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Fantastic intro!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Nice first post...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to DC from Ga...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Welcome
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from Ohio.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome from S.E. Wisconsin. Love your intro. Enjoyed the read. Thanks.
    Last edited by bandrich; January 21st, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from the East Coast!
    I greatly enjoyed your first post.
    And like you I love and enjoy all varieties of sidearms, but still shoot 1911's the best.
    Good to have you aboard.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Lead Moderator
    Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Normally I try and stay pretty neutral, shoot what you like and shoot best.

But, since you've found and like the 1911's if you get the chance, try out a SIG P220 SAO. The set-up is similar to the 1911, and the stock factory trigger on mine and most others I've heard about is about the best I've ever shot.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Willamette Valley myself here, Welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links