From NYC now in Las Vegas

This is a discussion on From NYC now in Las Vegas within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 from Central Florida! Close to $500 to have a pistol in your home? That, in and of itself, is a crime. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: From NYC now in Las Vegas

I love the Big Apple but a lot of things need to change

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

Close to $500 to have a pistol in your home?
    That, in and of itself, is a crime.
    I'm sure it DOES feel good to have moved.

ret

Don't get me wrong I miss a lot of things about my hometown, the place of my birth and 41 first years. I don't miss the anti gun mentality that has been so rampant in the liberal news. The ostracism one has to deal with if they want a gun to protect themselves in and out of the home. What bothers me about the liberal community so rampant in some areas are they are the quickest to both file Civilian Complaints against police for abuses of power allegedly, but will be the first to cry why weren't you doing your job when they experience a crime perpetrated on them selves.

I won't miss the financial and time barriers placed on us applicants.
    My permits were Rifle/Shotgun at a cost of $170 every 3 years + $95.10 for finger printing. 4 months later another $340 +$95.10 fingerprinting for the application on Pistol-- carry restricted--residence premises only, except I could transport the gun only in the City proper to training ranges. I asked why within 6 months do I need to pay 2x for fingerprinting? The answer was that's just the way it is. A new file is created and hence a new investigation. Well what ever I wanted the permit. I believe that's the most expensive per annum for a handgun permit in the country never mind it isnt even CCW.

My story gets interesting with the complicated NYPD statutes. Because my gun was not for carry other than tona range and needed be locked and unloaded during travel, it doesn't qualify for FOPA protection because technically inam not allowed to possess the gun anywhere but my home and a range in NYC. i.e the gun isn't legally allowed to be brought out of NYC. Yet police from outside NYC will not enforce a NYC law, so whe I received my VA, Fla, Utah, and NV non resident CCWS I would be allowed to carry in the 30+ states that allowed me to as long as I wasn't caught leaving the city with my guns. I haven't been pulled over by police for anything in 20 years, so I wasn't worried about driving to PA for a shoot.

What I knew would be risky and I wouldn't chance is traveling by air to allowed states from NYC/PANYNJ airports as to the news regarding the arrests and subsequent challenges in court which eventually ruled non carry permits like mine do not afford me protection under FOPA. So when wanted to train at FRONTSIGHT before I moved here I rented my same guns from them. When I made to move I took a chance I know because I drove the guns across the country. But with my permits/CCWS as long as I wasn't stopped leaving NY(the only jurisdiction enforcing the invalidity of my restricted permit out side of NYC, any other jurisdiction incame across would recognize my travel under FOPA, and as an added benefit, once I left NJ I would in fact be able to conceal carry the entire route except Colorado. Imthought that was amazing, the first time I experienced the ability tom carry freely. Don't forget my car contained my possessions, wife, 2 dogs, a 1022/Mossberg 930 and 590a1/Ruger Mini-14/Springfield XD-9/ and my fun shooting HiPoint 995ts with red dot.
    So I was glad to have myself packing when staying at the remotely located motels along the route.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. And congrats on "escaping" from NYC!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

One huge problem with States that are so restrictive as you have to kiss their rectums just to own a gun,but if you ever used the gun to defend yourself in your home there is a good chance they may charge you with a crime since you didn't use every means to escape your own home.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good for you!! Welcome to the forum from Montana! How are you liking Las Vegas?
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

Your climate is also better.

Welcome to the ‘wild west’.

A word of caution. NV has some rather unique laws and it would be in your best interests to check them out on handgunlaw.us.

You say you are now in Las Vegas. That is Clark County. In Clark County, once your residency is established, you have 60 days to register your handguns. In fact, if you are going to obtain a CC permit, you won’t be able to qualify unless you have registered the gun(s). This will be covered in the course. Likewise, if you purchase a gun here, you have 72 hours to register the weapon.

Also, take care in N Las Vegas and Boulder City. Some of their laws are ‘Grandfathered’ and are more restrictive that the rest of the state.

Chris

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Congrats on your new-found freedom.

I miss California too - not bad enough to go back, though.

Welcome from NE New Jersey!
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome from NYC. Yep that place. Vegas is a great place. I visit twice a year. I have been telling the DC family that it is possible for the average guy to get a resident permit. I just have one issue with your post. Who said that you could not transport your firearms out of the state?

Welcome from Virginia...via Germany. Glad to see you saw the light and moved out of NYC...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    . Glad to see you saw the light and moved out of NYC...
    The light at the end of the tunnel is NJ.

Welcome from Lower Alabama!

Welcome to the forum. Good move in leaving NY, IMO.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GM
    Welcome to the forum
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links