Hello from Georgia...

This is a discussion on Hello from Georgia... within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello Folks--Thought I'd have a look around and there seem to be some interesting things going on here. I live along the Atlantic coast in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Georgia...

Hello from Georgia...

Hello Folks--Thought I'd have a look around and there seem to be some interesting things going on here. I live along the Atlantic coast in Georgia, but also spend some time at our other home in the Philippines, where my wife's from. Been to a lot of places between here and there, usually near wilderness and the sea.

Last few guns I've bought have been handguns--I like the S&W M&P series from the last few years--my M&P 40c is pretty sweet. The Bodyguard 380 isn't great, but it's not terrible--I can handle a heavy, long trigger. Have had a lot of Glocks--got another nice Model 17 recently (Gen THREE only please) w/ the slide and barrel nickel boron coated--the 32 rd magzines are fun on the range. Impulse bought a Springfield XDm full size 45 ACP--an accurate cannon! Have others from way back, notably a 70's Sig 220. I'm fond of old S&W revolvers too. I leave it up to my sons to keep track of my guns, knives and Indian artifacts--they know what's good usually and quibble over which things they want when I kick the bucket--hopefully they'll have to wait a while!

There are better guns in certain respects for sure, but if I had to take one handgun into the wild for a month or two, it'd be my Glock 17, plenty of ammo and several different magazines. Read about the torture stories--under water for a year, run over--thrown hard into rocks--immersed in salt brine---the dang things inevitably still fire! Ugly, not very ergomically friendly guns, but they ARE trusty!

Knives, oh my! Kind of have gone full circle. When I was poor (but happy) it was basic carbon steel stuff. Later on, Gerber, Benchmade, Paragon, SOG, Spyderco, Falkniven, Scrapyard, Mcusta, David Boye and a whole lot of others--my 'truck knife' is a Gerber LMF(I'm FEMA certified) but I'm going back to higher carbon steel and blades w/o serrated edges. I have had some knives hand made in the Philippines from things like old jeepney leaf springs and heat treated--steel knives (bolos) that I wouldn't hesitate to take into the jungle, wood sheaths and all. For store bought knives, while it's not high carbon, like 1095 steel, most 440 isn't as bad as some folks (epec. knife snobs) make it out to be, IMO.

I USE all my knives, except for old Indian artifact knives, (I will NOT skin game using my Clovis or Folsom points!) but I almost cried when I read how much my old CQ Emerson-Benchmade auto would be worth if I hadn't had to sharpen it a few times and my two under $50 Spyderco laser cut blade, super light weight pocket knives are worth (they say) $295 apiece if in 'like new shape'.... But hey--they have been great for things like scraping deposits off my saltwater boat's propellers!

The way I look at it is if I'm going into the wild, I want a knife that I can sharpen on a rock if I have to. ATS-34, VG 10 and D2 (for starters) don't lend themselves too well to that. David Boye's Dendritic Cobalt steel is easy to sharpen, non magnetic and all but impossible to rust, but I'd weep to lose one of mine--too expensive (sorry David--even discounted!)--I tie it to my body out at sea--and they don't come over 4 inches, last time I called.

My old military knives don't look so bad after all these years--the saying 'it's old but it's good' comes to mind. I always dry my knives after they've gotten wet or gutty and even occasionally oil them, so high carbon meaning rust isn't always true.

Well, there I went and rambled on and wrote a novel! Anyways--I find myself keeping up with the new, but appreciating some old things more and more! I assume you're all asleep by now.....
    Last edited by Rangel; March 7th, 2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Fort Bliss, Texas

Lead Moderator
    Hello and welcome to the forum!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome novelist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Welcome from Tennessee
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome Rangel

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Welcome from Savannah
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome from Ohio.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    welcome from the panhandle of Texas!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links