how's it goin?

how's it goin?

This is a discussion on how's it goin? within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; hello, my name is hector and i'm from miami. found the site trying to do some research and thought i'd join before i start using ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how's it goin?

how's it goin?

hello, my name is hector and i'm from miami. found the site trying to do some research and thought i'd join before i start using it. my fiance and i finally got serious about "defensive carry". pun intended. today i purchased an xdm 3.8 9mm compact. i'm still trying to decide what to get for her though. she's 5ft so needless to say she's tiny. i took her to shoot a p228 and a colt .45 compact. she did pretty well for never having shot a single round prior. any suggestions? also, i'm having a hard time trying to decide what ammo to get for the xdm. i've been reading that 147gr has more penetration and all that. but i'm a newb when it comes to the technicalities of all of that. i just know how to shoot. i want to start stocking up on ammo and found good prices on sgammo.com which was recommended by the shop i'm using. which if anyone in the so. fla. area needs a good shop, send me a message and i'll tell u which one we're doing business with as to not turn this post into an advertisement. thanks in advance for any advice. i'm sure i'll learn a lot here. peace.

VIP Member

Welcome Hector!!

From Victoria, B.C.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to The Forum
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Hello and Welcome

Welcome from Michigan!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Welcome from Tennessee.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I missed the pun, but welcome from the Green Mountains of Vermont.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Glad U got ur ol' lady thinking about carrying. Consider a few more things before making a selection. Will she carry on her person? Pocket? IWB? OWB? abdomen, vehicle only? etc etc.. That will narrow it down for you. Then you can probably try a few things out.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Welcome from So Cal! Lots to consider. Check out the various forums. The perfect bullet question is asked often and you will find lots of info and a lot of answers. As MisterAvis asked; her carrying style will determine a lot. I carry an LC9 that she may like, small singe stack 9. How does she like your XDm? Use it as a starting point to see what she likes, doesnt etc. Good luck!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thanks for the welcoming guys.

okemo: i said that i am serious about defensive carry. as in carrying a gun, defensively. which is also the name of this forum.

bigjon and misteravis: i can't pick it up 'till friday so neither of us have shot it yet. i want to take her to the range to test an airweight .38. what has more kick between a tiny .38 like that, or a tiny 9mm like an lc9 or a kel tec pf9? we've been tossing some options around. like the bra holster(forgot the name) purse, pocket ect. we just don't know whats best but i do know that to always carry, she'll need a couple options due to wardrobe issues. i just don't want to buy crap that she won't use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links