Hello from the Texas Panhandle

This is a discussion on Hello from the Texas Panhandle within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I was a bookish and nerdy kid (still am bookish and nerdy really). I also moved around a lot. When I was 13, I moved ...

Thread: Hello from the Texas Panhandle

I was a bookish and nerdy kid (still am bookish and nerdy really). I also moved around a lot. When I was 13, I moved to a larger city and big school. I got picked on a lot so I took up Martial Arts. They really changed my life. Iíve switched styles and schools a LOT. Iíve spent 20+ years as a martial arts vagrant, spending a year or two in one system and then moving on to learn something different. Now, I donít claim any title or rank in any system and donít think of myself as an expert but Iíve learned a lot and the comparison and contrasts between instructors, schools and systems has been part of the reason for what Iíve learned.

After college, I worked in New Mexico where I taught hazardous material emergency response. I moved from New Mexico to Iowa where I worked for a municipal fire department in the fire marshalís office. That was pretty fun. It gave the nerdy bookish side of me a chance to do some technical work while I worked in a law enforcement role too.

I left the fire service and moved to Amarillo, Texas where I work as an emergency manager and incident commander for a federally owned site just outside of Amarillo. Itís also fun and interesting work. I spend my time as a go-between for the worlds of engineers and safety analysts and the emergency responders. Itís cool work for someone whoís got a desire for action and emergencies but is also a bookish nerd like I am.

I shoot for a hobby as well as for self-defense. I really enjoy taking shooting classes. Lately Iíve enjoyed and benefited a lot from Gabriel Suarezís training. Itís good stuff and I highly recommend it. For non-gun stuff, Iíve really liked Michael Janichís Martial Blade Concepts training. The information and techniques that these two trainers put out blend well together. Iím a club officer for one of the local gun clubs. I run IDPA matches for fun (not for training).

If youíre in Amarillo or the Texas Panhandle, shoot me an e-mail.

Chuck

Hello Chuck,

Nice introduction, it\'s good to have you onboard.

DC Founder
    Welcome to the forum. That was an interesting introduction, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Links