Disabled Veteran Carry?

This is a discussion on Disabled Veteran Carry? within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Had 3 lumbar surgeries in 10 years, most recently including 4 titanium screws from a lumbar fusion. I have a S&W .38 Special 642 Airweight, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disabled Veteran Carry?

Disabled Veteran Carry?

Had 3 lumbar surgeries in 10 years, most recently including 4 titanium screws from a lumbar fusion. I have a S&W .38 Special 642 Airweight, a Kholster for IWH, and an ankle holster by DeSantis. Whats the best way to carry for someone with back issues?

2. Remove Ads

First off welcome from Washington State.

As far as carry, I'd look for the thread that has about 54 pages in it asking for photos of what and how they carry. Then you can see what others are using...

FWIW, my wife carries the 642 with a Remora pocket holster, the short version vice the long (deeper) version. She also has a flashback bra holster but I think that one is not a great choice for you... ;)
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I sure wouldn't carry in a ankle holster... get a belly band and you can position the gun when you get out of your vehicle so it is in front of you that way you don’t have to twist to get it

Welcome! Thanks for your service. Like you, I'm a DV. My cancer left my back a mess. I have a Glock 19 and 36. I'm trying an OWB from Holsterpro, model 722 for both.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Welcome from Ohio from one bad back sufferer to another. A good gun belt will make all of the difference because it distributes weight. Also, (and I learned this the hard way) balance is important. If your gun is on your strong side, it helps to balance the weight by carrying something on the other side, hopefully extra ammo.

My chiropractor taught me this and it really makes a big difference. And on a related note, (not gun related but health related) I never carry my wallet in a back pocket anymore. Even a thin wallet can wreck your spinal alignment.

Good luck, and welcome aboard. Stay safe!
    NH_Esau likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I am an old timer and I don't know your age nor when you had your surgeries. I had two on the same lower disk: first one in Dec 79 and the second one in Jan 81. While my back is week I can carry most anything if I carry the weight on my hipbones. I find I can wear three holsters without any problems: Remora Clipless Holster, 3-Speed Holster ( a kangaroo style) and the White Hat (Crossbreed style) Holster. Each are reasonbly prices and well worth the money asked.

Good Luck with your hunt.
    Vv

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I doubt an ankle would work well with back surgery...perhaps a fanny pack?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just remembered a a recent thread
    Has anyone tried DeepConceal.com?? that contained several holster shirt options that may work for you.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome from Wisconsin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links