Shopping for my first handgun. husband is not so excited about it.

This is a discussion on Shopping for my first handgun. husband is not so excited about it. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; We spend time at two different cabins, and I would feel more comfortable with some level of self defense. He is not a always with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shopping for my first handgun. husband is not so excited about it.

Shopping for my first handgun. husband is not so excited about it.

We spend time at two different cabins, and I would feel more comfortable with some level of self defense. He is not a always with us (me and 3 young daughters). We are going shooting with a friend tomorrow, hopefully he will enjoy it! He grew up duck hunting, shotguns, not handguns.

2. Remove Ads

First off, welcome to the forum!

Next - kudos to you for taking your security seriously.

Third - you need to explain "husband is not so excited about it." Curious as the the nature of what I presume to be some resistance on his part.

Last - ask lots of questions! There is a lot of collective experience and wisdom here on DC, so ask away. The dumbest question is the one you felt too embarrassed to ask!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Welcome from Savannah
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Michael

Welcome from Missouri. This is a excellent place for the exchange of ideas, information, tactics, experiences and even humor. Have your husband join too. He will soon find out about the CCW community. We are people just like him....no drooling, no horns...just concerned about the safety of our families in troubling times. Hubby and I both belong and often sit across from each other posting here. Come often and ask questions...you both won't be disappointed.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Welcome from Florida.
    I applaud your decision. I've tried to convince my mother to conceal carry, but she's just not interested. So I tag along on with her evening walks through nearby neighborhoods with her since I'm home for the summer. You just never ever know what could happen...

Welcome aboard, from Missouri.

Sometimes you just have to be blunt and hit 'em between the eyes with a little reality. If he doesn't think bad things can happen to a woman with 3 young daughters at a remote vacation cabin, he's either naive or a little out of touch with reality.

One of the best examples of naivety "that it won't happen to you" and one of the most heinous events in recent history is the case of what happened to Dr. William Petit of Cheshire, CT a couple years ago. When Horror Came to a Connecticut Family

This is NOT just an anecdotal, isolated incident. This kind of stuff happens with regularity. It just so happens that this incident was particularly heinous and happened to fairly upwardly mobile, well known surgeon that it gained national traction.

If you've seen Dr. Petit in recent news events after the second killer finally received the death penalty, you'll see that he is a totally broken man with nothing to live for. He now has some serious emotional pathology going on, and I would not be surprised if he doesn't commit suicide one day. His guilt has overwhelmed him and he has not recovered.

For someone to say, that can not happen to me, out of hand is also expressing some form of delusion as no one is immune from these kinds of events.

I wish you luck. I have a feeling, in the end, your spouse will not deny you the ability to defend yourself with a handgun if you are in fact adamant about it.

I hope you'll stop by again and become active in our forum. Welcome.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good luck. There is a lot of good and bad information out there on the web. Your strength may be you do not have years of bad habits to unlearn. It is a good place to start.

take a class or two together.

Here is a site with a outstanding author and instructor Massad Ayoob. His books are great. I suggest for the first one
    "Truth About Self Protection". Description is:

The first mass-market paperback that takes a positive look at the use of guns by citizens for self defense! The book goes far beyond guns, with down to earth advice on the most effective streetfighting techniques; the most effective legal makeshift weapons; Kubotans, Persuaders, MoGems, and police flashlights, defensive techniques in your car; the truth about locks, alarms, safes, and how to really deter burglars; how to apply the principles of "countervailing violence" in self defense and survive the legal and emotional aftermath; the straight stuff about protective dogs; how to use Mace most effectively; and a wealth of other vital information never before published outside police circles. Nearly a quater of a million streetwise words on preventing crimes and coping with them if they happen. This book shatters the myths and cuts to the deadly reality of surviving crime in a violent world. 417 pgs., softcover.

You AND your husband will find it interesting and it may point out to your husband the legitimate need you feel for self defense.

Armor of New Hampshire: Author: Massad Ayoob - Books
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Sueski from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links