What to do?

This is a discussion on What to do? within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello all, I am a new member to this site and had some feedback from others. I have had my carry permit for almost 10 ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Spirit51
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

Hello all, I am a new member to this site and had some feedback from others. I have had my carry permit for almost 10 yrs. Through two states from MI. And now in TN but had an idictment brought on me last yr for an accident that a man lost his life becuause he was on meth and just so happened that he hit me head on. I had to surrender my permit and had plead guilty to wreckless vehicular homicide but was granted judicial diversion w/3 yrs. of probation. The judge said I was not giving up my right to vote or own/ and posess any firearms. What do I do?? Help please. Wrong place at the wrong time...

2. Remove Ads

You are indicted for vehicular homicide when HE hit you when HE was on meth....head on????

How exactly does THAT work???
    JDE101, msgt/ret and BkCo1 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    The answer is going to remain the same, regardless of how many times you ask. You need a lawyer in TN to sort it out. Check the answers from your earlier post.

Carry laws after court precedings.

HE was high on meth, HE hit you head on, and YOU were charged with vehicular homicide. I have a feeling something is missing from the story.
    JDE101 and msgt/ret like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why would you plead guilty to reckless vehicular homicide?

What are the other circumstances that compelled you to want to plead guilty to that charge?

If he crossed the center line and hit you head on (whether he was on meth or not), is not something I would plead guilty. The fact that the other guy did have meth in his system and can be argued he was also impaired and high at the time he hit you head-on, would be even more of a reason not to plead guilty.

Are we missing something in the story?

Just on it's surface, I would say you won't be getting your ccw permit back for at least the next 3 years, until after you have completed your probation. And then, regardless of what the judge told you... don't be surprised if they still refuse to issue you one.

Your best advice is to seek the advice of an attorney for your specific questions. People here, myself included are merely going to be speculating and offering opinions based on no legal experience.
    Last edited by Bark'n; July 22nd, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Welcome and sorry about your problem.

Welcome from South Carolina...As others have questioned, I say "ditto"...As others have said, seek legal assistance...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Kjkrolik from the great state of Pennsylvania! You really should get a lawyer - something doesn't sound right...
    -

Welcome from Delaware! Should not have plead guilty on this one.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome!
    Jim (NY)

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. Ditto to consulting with an attorney.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Kjkrolik View Post
    Hello all, I am a new member to this site and had some feedback from others. I have had my carry permit for almost 10 yrs. Through two states from MI. And now in TN but had an idictment brought on me last yr for an accident that a man lost his life becuause he was on meth and just so happened that he hit me head on. I had to surrender my permit and had plead guilty to wreckless vehicular homicide but was granted judicial diversion w/3 yrs. of probation. The judge said I was not giving up my right to vote or own/ and posess any firearms. What do I do?? Help please. Wrong place at the wrong time...

Sounds to me like you're up the creek without a paddle from what you've told. Can't say for sure....but if you've been charged with a felony and plead guilty or no contest....then you have a felony record and your voting and firearm days are over. Don't know the details and I'm no lawyer. Diversion sounds like you got diverted, but the court's disposition is another thing no matter what they told you at the time, or what you understood they were saying. The system is like a Wal Mart cashier......get you in and out as fast as possible. Contact your defense attorney for details, and if they blow you off, contact the prosecuting attorney to find out your status.
    Anyways....welcome to the forum. I'm not sure about your legal status, or how the forum moderation views this sort of thing, but I personally think the information and knowledge may be beneficial to a lot of folks. Not many make it through life unscathed one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The answer is going to remain the same, regardless of how many times you ask. You need a lawyer in TN to sort it out. Check the answers from your earlier post.

Carry laws after court precedings.

HE was high on meth, HE hit you head on, and YOU were charged with vehicular homicide. I have a feeling something is missing from the story.
    I have a HUGE feeling something is missing. Responsibility for one's actions is one of them. Interview at a prison and you'll learn that everybody there is innocent.

IF you did a deferred adjudication you may have your full access back after successfully serving your adjudication period and then waiting some number of years, you will need to ask an attorney.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links