New member from the Murder Mitten - Page 3

New member from the Murder Mitten

This is a discussion on New member from the Murder Mitten within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by Brass63 Welcome from SW Lower! I recommend some training to anyone new to fire arms. NRA Firststeps and Basic classes are excellent ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New member from the Murder Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Welcome from SW Lower!
    I recommend some training to anyone new to fire arms.
    NRA Firststeps and Basic classes are excellent for getting into the sport.
    +1 I wish he lived closer to Maine, i would give him the course for free, seems like a good guy.

Welcome from South Carolina...
    wolverine181 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

[QUOTE=1911247;2330768]
    If your father taught you well you know the rules of safety.

Treat every firearms as if it IS loaded.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to discharge the weapon.

Dont point it at anything you dont intend to kill

Always visually and physically make sure the weapon is unloaded and safe before handling it.

QUOTE]

Just wondering, what happened to the RULE: "Know your target and what is beyond".... Just curious...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Hello, Wolverine, and welcome from Missouri to a great and informative forum. Lot of very good experience and good folks here. There is a much one can learn in this forum. You made a good choice in joining this family!
    wolverine181 likes this.

Welcome to the forum from California! Another suggestion to add to your weekend shooting trip would be to go locally and get some hands-on with the pros for some really good info on where you can get some shooting in under some instruction too. Don't be scared of guns. The more you know about them and how they work along with ALL of the safety steps, the more comfortable you're going to be around them. ALWAYS follow the rules and there's nothing to be afraid of. No need to sugar-coat it, they can be dangerous and kill in the hands of people who don't follow the rules. Gun Safety Now - Good luck and have fun!
    wolverine181 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Welcome from So Cal! A good healthy fear of guns is good, as others have said it will keep you alive.

For your situation, there is nothing better and pretty much safer than a good home defense shotgun. I remember as a kid, holding my dads, while supervised and it being impossible to use as a child just due to weight. Thing is light as a feather to me now, but as a kid I knew I could not effectively use it. As a father myself and a kid once, this is a safety to me. It is also extremely effective against predators of the 2-4 leg varietal and has a multitude of ammo choices that let you cater it to your needs, such as apartment, close neighbors, no neighbors etc.

Many ranges let you rent guns and it is a good idea as it will give you an idea of the style you like and don't. Look into it, stay safe and enjoy.
    wolverine181 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    wolverine181 likes this.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

wolverine181 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

In response to members recommending that I get actual training, I'm definitely looking into it. I know of a good LGS around here with a lot of different classes, but money is tight so I shot around at my aunt/uncle's backyard shooting range with my dad's bullets/guns ha... it was very fun. I now feel confident in defending myself from tiny paper targets in the daylight that don't move.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    I now feel confident in defending myself from tiny paper targets in the daylight that don't move.
    Then (in my opinion) you are just confident as most of us! A few will say "I know I'll do this or that, or if it had been me I would have.." those people scare me.

Many of us know what we hope to do, only the few who have truely had to defend their lives know what they did.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    And that fear my friend. Will keep you alive. Ill tell ya a little story about this. And what can happen if it is loaded. and something does fail. Hence why you should always be careful

About 4 years ago i was cleaning a beretta 92F first thing in the morning with my 8am coffee. unloaded it. Scrubbed her down. Re-assembled. threw the mag in pulled the slide to load a round and hit the de-cocker.

Now i had just bought this weapon the day before and hadnt really tested anything. Well the guy that had sold the gun to the shop i bought it at had tried to do a trigger job himself, and messed some things up. The de-cocker worked fine but the firing pin safety was junk.

Well when i hit the decocker the hammer fell as usual, but it smashed into the firing pin. Which in turn fired a 124g HPJ slug out of the barrel and into my tv, tv stand , through that and into an adjacent wall......which lead to my neighbors apartment.

Luckily Noone was home, noone was hurt, except for me....mentally. And legally.

The outcome?

My firearm was seized , i was charged with gross negligence , discharging a firearm in a populated area. Luckily for me the crime scene investigators were able to re-create this malfunction every single time they tried and all charges against me were cleared and dropped. I got the weapon back. I ended up suing the gunshop i bought it at, and the man who had altered it faced felony charges.

I could have spent 16 years in prison because i did not safety check the weapon before i loaded it. That simple.

I wasnt afraid of the weapon, a new weapon, which i should have been.

It took me 2 years to even touch a gun again. every time i closed my eyes thats all i saw and heard, and knowing that if my neighbors had been home, it could have cost someone their life.......also took a year and a half of counciling for me to even think about owning a gun again.

Your fear that a bullet may appear, or something can go wrong. Is a GOOD FEAR. it will keep you smart. Dont lose that fear. And always stay safe. Check, recheck, tripple check every time. And what happened to me, will never happen to you.

Thanks for sharing that. A lesson learned is a lesson learned.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Oh, and welcome to the forum. As you can see lots of hands on experience here. [ no pun intended]
    wolverine181 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links