New member from the Murder Mitten

This is a discussion on New member from the Murder Mitten within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey guys, been reading this site for a little bit, trying to find some good home defense weapons. I'm a young dad/college student/lawn care business ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New member from the Murder Mitten

Hey guys, been reading this site for a little bit, trying to find some good home defense weapons. I'm a young dad/college student/lawn care business owner (not big) originally from the metro Detroit area. I live in Ann Arbor during the school year.

As of right now, I've only ever fired one gun (.22 rifle when I was young enough to where my dad helped me stay in place, if needed) besides for BB or pellet guns. I'm actually going up north this weekend to shoot my dad's sig 22 and 357, hopefully some rifles or shotguns too. Right now I'm reading this place mostly for strategies/tools/whatever to keep my house safe/be more aware in public.

I'm also very scared of guns, at least at the moment. My friend accidentally shooting a shotgun in his grandparents' house didn't make me feel any better (thankfully he wasn't stupid enough to point the gun at me before pulling the trigger of the gun he didn't think was loaded ). Hopefully some time at the range will get me more comfortable ha.
    Last edited by rstickle; July 25th, 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Language

Welcome from Maine, from one new member to another :-) A fear of weapons is a fear of injury or death. Fear of other peoples weapons is natural and you shouldnt feel bad for it. However you need to build up your familiarity with firearms, their function, purpose, safety procedures. Also take a good moment to think of the consequences of firearms. Once you've put this puzzle together you will learn to trust YOUR SELF with weapons. And will be more comfortable around them. The fear will go away to a degree. However a small Fear of guns is a good thing. Keeps you sharp and safe.
    wolverine181 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Shouldn't be scared of them at all, just make sure you handle them safely and always treat them like they're loaded. There's plenty to learn from the people here, welcome :)
    wolverine181 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Thanks guys.

As for gun safety, my dad was a Marine back in the day and taught me and my brother gun safety very well from a younger age (with BB guns), so I know how that goes. But, I always find myself afraid of a gun randomly going off (even possible?), I won't even pull the trigger of my dad's 2" barrel 357 when I check the gun and can see through the barrel for fear of a bullet randomly (magically) appearing (I don't know haha... don't ask)

wolverine181 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    I won't even pull the trigger of my dad's 2" barrel 357 when I check the gun and can see through the barrel for fear of a bullet randomly (magically) appearing (I don't know haha... don't ask)
    Yeah I double or triple check that the gun is clear every time before pulling the trigger, all it takes is one time that it's not, and it can be avoided by spending an extra 2 seconds double checking :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Modern firearms have MANY safeties incorporated into the design. And most have to pass most stringent safety tests during production before they are even sold.

Modern firearms usually have 2 or more safeties. Glock has 3. Including a trigger safety, firing pin blocking device, and the trigger itself.

As i tell my students. Modern Guns dont "GO OFF". There has to be a series of events that cause them to fire, all involving the trigger being pulled. Heck you can take a Glock, S&W, Sig, Kimber, and drop it over and over and over and it wont shoot, because it has a internal safety that blocks the firing pin from moving to the striking position without the trigger being pulled. also 1911 style pistols, and many others, have a thumb safety that dis-engages the action as well. 1911's without a firing pin disconect use a very beefy piece of steel in the thumb safety to block the hammer itself, they also have a grip safety that must be depressed or the gun wont work :-)

Modern revolvers have a built in safety that doesnt let the striker on the hammer contact the round in the cylinder until the trigger is all the way in the rearward position.

Checking to see if the gun for a loaded chamber is always a must. dont feel bad for not wanting to pull the trigger randomly without checking. This is a very good thing.

If your father taught you well you know the rules of safety.

Treat every firearms as if it IS loaded.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to discharge the weapon.

Dont point it at anything you dont intend to kill

Always visually and physically make sure the weapon is unloaded and safe before handling it.

If you follow those rules and keep your booger picker off the boom boom switch. You shouldnt have any accidental or negligent discharges.

ALSO. Use a good expensive quality holster, Cheap holsters can deform, and get into the trigger guard, causing the weapon to discharge and taking lives. You spend hundreds on the gun........spend about a hundred on the holster :-)

Use good common sense and youll be fine :-)
    Burns and wolverine181 like this.

Thanks for the info. I figured that these companies that make guns would have to follow very strict laws regarding the design, but was never too sure or informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    Checking to see if the gun for a loaded chamber is always a must. dont feel bad for not wanting to pull the trigger randomly without checking. This is a very good thing.
    What I was saying was that even after I check 5 or 7 times and can see through the barrel, I still don't pull the trigger because of some weird fear that a bullet will magically appear. I'm not even religious or believe in magic, but gahhh that would suck ha.

And that fear my friend. Will keep you alive. Ill tell ya a little story about this. And what can happen if it is loaded. and something does fail. Hence why you should always be careful

About 4 years ago i was cleaning a beretta 92F first thing in the morning with my 8am coffee. unloaded it. Scrubbed her down. Re-assembled. threw the mag in pulled the slide to load a round and hit the de-cocker.

Now i had just bought this weapon the day before and hadnt really tested anything. Well the guy that had sold the gun to the shop i bought it at had tried to do a trigger job himself, and messed some things up. The de-cocker worked fine but the firing pin safety was junk.

Well when i hit the decocker the hammer fell as usual, but it smashed into the firing pin. Which in turn fired a 124g HPJ slug out of the barrel and into my tv, tv stand , through that and into an adjacent wall......which lead to my neighbors apartment.

Luckily Noone was home, noone was hurt, except for me....mentally. And legally.

The outcome?

My firearm was seized , i was charged with gross negligence , discharging a firearm in a populated area. Luckily for me the crime scene investigators were able to re-create this malfunction every single time they tried and all charges against me were cleared and dropped. I got the weapon back. I ended up suing the gunshop i bought it at, and the man who had altered it faced felony charges.

I could have spent 16 years in prison because i did not safety check the weapon before i loaded it. That simple.

I wasnt afraid of the weapon, a new weapon, which i should have been.

It took me 2 years to even touch a gun again. every time i closed my eyes thats all i saw and heard, and knowing that if my neighbors had been home, it could have cost someone their life.......also took a year and a half of counciling for me to even think about owning a gun again.

Your fear that a bullet may appear, or something can go wrong. Is a GOOD FEAR. it will keep you smart. Dont lose that fear. And always stay safe. Check, recheck, tripple check every time. And what happened to me, will never happen to you.

Damn man, that's some scary stuff. Glad you didn't get in trouble. Seems like a gun shop should be required to test out every gun they buy though, doesn't it?

It in esscense is a great idea. But in reality , they check to see if it will fire and throw it in the display case without a second thought. I have purchased a few firearms since that were not "safe" by any means. I replaced the broken or non functional parts on them or just returned them if it was beyond repair.

It is up to the buyer to safety test every weapon they buy before they put it in use. Safety first, Safety last. simple as that :-)

1911247, that's a crazy story. Glad everything turned out fine and no one was hurt, hopefully you got a nice paycheck out of it ;)

VIP Member
    Welcome from Lansing!
    wolverine181 likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Welcome aboard. It won't take long before you are totally hooked on shooting.
    wolverine181 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome from Wisconsin
    wolverine181 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links