Introduction from Alaska

This is a discussion on Introduction from Alaska within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Greetings all, After close to a year of being a "lurker" I finally created an account. I grew up in a law enforcement family and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Introduction from Alaska

Introduction from Alaska

Greetings all,
    After close to a year of being a "lurker" I finally created an account. I grew up in a law enforcement family and spent my whole life near guns, knives, and martial arts. I have always enjoyed shooting and hunting as a hobby, and for most of my life I was able to avoid fights and conflicts so the martial arts were mainly entertainment for my brothers and me.

I was born in southern California and lived there until I was 8 when my family moved to Alaska. At that time I was old enough have some sense of paranoia and a general mistrust of people ingrained into me, but after moving to rural Alaska my family had a major lifestyle change and I lost much of my fear of people, and instead only had to learn how to deal with 4-legged animals. When I was 18 college forced me to move back to the "city" from the rural areas I grew up in and I had to reaquiant myself with the dangers that two legged animals pose. About this time I met my girlfriend and my world grew beyond just myself, and I also began spending large parts of the year visiting her family in California.

Neither my girlfriend or I are the victim type, she grew up fast having a rough childhood and spent a long time having to fight for what she had, I have inherited my mindset and never-quit attitude both from my Dad and the fact that for many of my outdoor exploits the only thing that keeps someone alive is their mindset. Despite this me or close friends of mine had several close calls in my first year of being back in "civilization" and I learned firsthand that when people are drunk, drugged, desperate, or just plain stupid there is not always a way to avoid conflict. I realized quickly that one of the many of the responsibilities my Dad always carried and I took for granted was his ability to protect his family. I needed to be able to do the same for mine so I quickly became more interested in self-defense and deescalation. I've spent the last 4 years trying to improve in this area, focusing on everything from mindset and hand-to-hand to knife and handgun tactics. Because I have someone who enjoys learning along with me this has been an enjoyable progression that will hopefully never have to be tested. When I made the decision to start carrying part of the deal that I made with myself was that I would also become as knowledgeable as possible in every aspect of CCW. Practice, research, and reading great forums like this one has certainly helped more than I would have ever thought.

I hope to continue to learn, improve, and avoid using lethal force for the rest of my life. Howdy.

2. Remove Ads

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard ElArdilla from the great state of Pennsylvania!

P5
    Welcome from MD!!
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nice intro and welcome to the show

Hi!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from the Great Lakes State!
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    A 'brush' with a BG or two can quickly change one's perspectives and priorities.
    I know it did with me.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC

Welcome from Texas! If you don't mind me asking, what part of Alaska are you from? I was stationed in Kodiak, AK for a year and a half and I have had the wonderful opportunity to see many places there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links