Newbie looking for advice on compact and sub-compact 9mm for CC.

This is a discussion on Newbie looking for advice on compact and sub-compact 9mm for CC. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome from Lansing!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Newbie looking for advice on compact and sub-compact 9mm for CC.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Lansing!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Welcome from SouthCentral Kansas!

Ruger LC9 recommended here. Perfect size and easy to shootfor me.

Welcome from NC. I second the LC9. It conceals well and mine has been very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The subcompact Glocks aren't that much more concealable than the compacts when you get down to it
    I read this a lot. But it really comes down to body type and carry method as to which works best.

That said, the G19 is a good choice.

Welcome from NC!

A Glock 26 is good, and I have one I carry a lot, especially in the colder weather or on my hip in the woods. When I carry it concealed, I use a Crossbreed Supertuck.

But I especially like to carry my little Kahr CM9. It is perfect for concealed carry, especially in the summer and with lighter weight clothing. It is lightweight, has a great trigger, is extremely accurate, reliable, very concealable, and has surprisingly low recoil for such a small pistol - about the same as my Glock. I can holster it in my front pocket, which I can't do with the Glock. It is very slim and also carries nicely either OWB or IWB. I love it!

You can probably find one for under $400 and with an extra mag (get the extended 7 round one for a spare). Along with a couple good holsters for carrying flexibility you are still way under $500.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Rather than a G26 for carry and a HiPoint for the night stand, why not just get the compact Glock 19? You'll have higher capacity, longer sight radius, and a more controllable pistol, and you shouldn't have to go over $500. The subcompact Glocks aren't that much more concealable than the compacts when you get down to it
    +1 on that! Maybe not the Glock 19, but I do agree that you really only need one firearm that fits the ccw and home defense bill. For me, it's a Sig P220 Carry. Carry it all day and take it off at night, then it's within easy reach if need be. It would be better to find that perfect "all around" all purpose pistol rather than trying to find two handguns....especially if your budget is limited.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I think I'd second the Glock-19 recommendation...your all in one gun!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have shot the Glock 19 and 26, but personally I prefer my Ruger SR9c. Glocks are simple foolproof guns, and I love the fact that there are no safeties to fumble with, but the natural point of aim with these pistols never felt comfortable to me.

The extra safety on the Ruger means that you have to train your thumb to sweep the safety off when you draw, and finding a good holster was a little more difficult since many glocks will fit into the same holster.

For me though the Ruger feels more natural, it is more aesthetically pleasing, and most importantly it is comfortable to carry and shoot. The more rounded edges means that I don't get bit when I spend long days at the range or when bending over while carrying like I do with the Glocks.

Welcome from Utah!. I'd give a nod to the LC9. Worn IWB...every day...Hard to beat .
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by TTONE View Post
    Can go as high as 600 if neccessary but would really like to get something around 300 for carry. Considering HighPoint 9mm for nitestand.
    If seeking highly reliable, durable, reasonably small/thin enough for decent concealment, one option might be the S&W 3900 series of pistols. No longer made, they long had a reputation for serious reliability, durability, suitability for many police forces across the country. Check GunBroker/AuctionArms or any of the other popular auction/sale web sites for many police trade-in examples in the sub-$400 range. Such as, the S&W 3953 9mm single-stack.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ElArdilla View Post

The extra safety on the Ruger means that you have to train your thumb to sweep the safety off when you draw,

or just not use the safety.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links