Gun Cleaning Table

Gun Cleaning Table

This is a discussion on Gun Cleaning Table within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I am customizing a closet to hold my husbands guns. His birthday is coming up and I would like to make him a table to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gun Cleaning Table

Gun Cleaning Table

I am customizing a closet to hold my husbands guns. His birthday is coming up and I would like to make him a table to put in that room so he can clean them or work on them. I am on this site because I really don't know much about it so I don't know what one would want. A build-in gun holder? Lighting? Any input would be appreciated.

Gun_Closet.jpg

Administrator
    You were a good catch! Nice B'Day Present. He is lucky to have found such a great Wife.

Now...if you want to be an absolutely amazingly incredible Wife...call Brownell's in Iowa and have them send you their latest catalog and get him a Gift Certificate to Brownell's

If you do THAT you'll be the best Wife on Planet Earth. Trust me on that.

You can get their phone number by clicking here http://www.brownells.com/

What a thoughtful gal you are! I hope your man is equally attentive to you.

I'd suggest a folding work table like what Stanley, Skil and others put out; you could look for these at Lowe's, Home Depot and Sears. Top it off with a Tipton Gun Vise, and he's got a nice, compact setup that won't take up floorspace permanently.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A small tabletop tool box couldnt hurt. Not thoes plastic ones with just a flip open top but a decent metal box with slide out drawers. They can be found for pretty cheap at wally world or for a hefty price name brand.

Looks like he has a collection so Im sure organization is important. Hope that helps.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Hot tub on patio with a cover.

I found 2 tiptop vices. One is $45 and the other is $89. The more expensive one shows the gun bent where the cheaper one showed the gun straight so I am thinkng the more expensive one is more versatile? I am not too worried about space. We have 4 bedrooms and only one kid left (and soon to be leaving) so he can have the whole room - but it is only 10 x 11.

Administrator
    A super duper Gunsmithing screwdriver set would be great. Gunsmith screwdriver bits are not like ordinary screwdrivers.
    Let me see if I can find you a picture.
    Weaver makes a great one.

This One. It has drift punches in there also and a punch block.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The gun cleaning table I built for myself is an old fairly small desk thats not real deep.. Then I went to home depot and got one of those six foot formica counter tops that has the six inch or so little backsplash piece made onto it. I took and sanded the desktop and dampened it and the formica countertop and put a whole buch of gorilla glue on it then clamped them together and threw a whole buch of bags of leadshot and containers full of lead bullets on it for a day or so to keep pressure and let it dry. They are now permanently attached. I also have a rack with tons of gun solvents and lubes sitting on top. The center drawer is full of brushes and cleaning stuff. The other drawers are full of gun parts and gun tools. It also has a rack above for rifle and shotgun cleaning rods, and a light that swivels down to light your work area. I use a tipton best gun vice, I believe its called. I dont worry about it taking up space since it serves as storage also. Its in my hunting room with all my reloading presses, ammo, gun cases, bows, camo clothing etc. It works for me. Sorry cant post pics Im at work now.

I think I had better try to figure out what he already has.

Quote Originally Posted by lzoto View Post
    I found 2 tiptop vices. One is $45 and the other is $89. The more expensive one shows the gun bent where the cheaper one showed the gun straight so I am thinkng the more expensive one is more versatile? I am not too worried about space. We have 4 bedrooms and only one kid left (and soon to be leaving) so he can have the whole room - but it is only 10 x 11.
    If hubby has any double-barreled shotguns or any AR-15 style rifles, get the Tipton that allows the barrel section to tilt relative to the trigger/buttstock section. If all he has are bolt-action guns, then the lesser Tipton will suffice.

If space isn't a real limitation, then a compact workbench can be a lot handier than that folding deal I mentioned earlier. Industrial supply outfits like McMaster-Carr have a huge variety; here's a light-duty bench with a particle board top (friendly to our oh-so-delicate guns) with a couple of drawers for a very modest price: McMaster-Carr If you want to get more elaborate, there's this page where you can sorta design your own: McMaster-Carr
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I really want to make the table myself. Compared with cutting out all those ovals and circles for the butts and barrels in the closet, that will be easy. (If you click the picture above, it enlarges it.)

I could make a removable cover for the top with a very thin foam on 1/4" hardboard and then the same faux leather I used for the gun butts in the closet. The foam is so thin that if I pull the fabric real tight it wouldn't be real cushy, but it would give a little buffer.

He will need the pricier tipton then. He has a couple of double barrels, a couple of black powders, and an assortment of others. One can be turned into different guns by putting different barrels or something. I really like the weaver screwdriver set, but I don't know what he has yet.

Making it yourself it even nicer. I'd go at least 48" wide with a max of 60". Depth of 24" is plenty; I found if you go much deeper (like 30" or more), the work surface becomes an area for clutter. Height is very subjective and it depends on your man's dimensions and whether he'll be sitting or standing. You can use almost anything for the work surface, but due to the likelihood of spilled oil and cleaning solvents good old masonite over plywood or particleboard is very functional and cheap. It's also a very forgiving surface which won't mar a gun's wood or metal. When it gets beat up, pull up the old and slap on a new piece ($10 or less) or just nail the new on top of the old.

I did a reloading bench last year and one of my "clever" features was to run a piece of lath along the sides and back of the bench about 3/8 of an inch higher then the work surface. The intent is to catch most of this little parts that want to roll off the bench where you can't see 'em.

Add a lower storage shelf (recessed maybe 8" from the front of the bench to keep from banging shins) and maybe a couple of drawers for tool storage, and you've got a nice setup.

I've attached pics of my bench and a friend's just to get your creative juices flowing. These happen to be reloading benches, but the general layouts are adaptable to any purpose.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My wife's name is Nancy, I'll send you her address and phone number, if you could give her a call and explain exactly what your trying to do, I'll see if I can have her put in a trance, so your suggestions would really sink in and take hold! Oh, I didn't answer your original question, did I? I think the Brownell's gift card and catalog would be nice, and then you could possibly work on this project together, that way he gets what he really wants, and you spend quality time together. It also puts him on notice that your birthday is right around the corner! Best of luck!
    ccman likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by lzoto View Post
    I really want to make the table myself. Compared with cutting out all those ovals and circles for the butts and barrels in the closet, that will be easy. (If you click the picture above, it enlarges it.)

I could make a removable cover for the top with a very thin foam on 1/4" hardboard and then the same faux leather I used for the gun butts in the closet. The foam is so thin that if I pull the fabric real tight it wouldn't be real cushy, but it would give a little buffer.

He will need the pricier tipton then. He has a couple of double barrels, a couple of black powders, and an assortment of others. One can be turned into different guns by putting different barrels or something. I really like the weaver screwdriver set, but I don't know what he has yet.
    Good in the trades and beyond supportive of his hobby? He is one very lucky guy. Didnt know ladies in the northeast had it in them (no offense, I grew up in Connecticut).

Goodluck with the room. Im still new to shooting and dont have any ideas other than the toolbox but there is a great wealth of knowledge here.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links