New guy from South florida is upset about skyrocketing ammo costs. Thoughts,fellas?

This is a discussion on New guy from South florida is upset about skyrocketing ammo costs. Thoughts,fellas? within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello all, First let me say, cudos to the men who wrote the rules of conduct for this boarde. After reading it...I said to myself ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New guy from South florida is upset about skyrocketing ammo costs. Thoughts,fellas?

New guy from South florida is upset about skyrocketing ammo costs. Thoughts,fellas?

Hello all,

First let me say, cudos to the men who wrote the rules of conduct for this boarde. After reading it...I said to myself "Wow...if we threw out the constitution, and just used the rules posted here for laws for living on the outside, what a much better place it would be. One reason why? People would know their place! Saying that phrase.."knowing your place" used to be a racist comment down south 40 years ago. But now it seems from teenagers in school who think its ok to threaten other students and even teachers, to all the people who randomly walk into your neighborhood with tattoos from their ankles running straight up their neck hoping youll step on their toe, to all the wanna be gang bangers who have no command of the english language at all anymore...to men who think it is ok to reach out and touch a woman they like on the street!!!!.......its time people are taught to know their place, I think. The rules here are a great start. Kudos!

Now..onto the nuts and bolts....how much more can ammo keep rising. Gold, oil, stock prices, everything that seems to go up parabolically,always crashes back down.....except ammo! Why? Well, one guy on another board said that the distributors of ammo dont care what we think because the military is buying most of the ammo it can get its hands on anyway! Christ, I never thought of that. But then , if thats true, where are gangs, criminals, drug cartels and people in foreign countries who want "made in the USA" ammo getting them from?

Would someone like to take a crack at telling me, please......

By the way, this is my first post. You can call me Daytrader. Pleasure to meet you all. I was born and raised in Brooklyn but now reside in Florida last 8 years.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome from Florida

Hi.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Welcome!

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama

You want ammo prices to go down, then buy less of it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Welcome.

I think I know where you're coming from, but let me suggest that including in the first line of your first post the phrase "if you threw out the Consitution" is certain to raise a lot of eyebrows. But thank you for reading the Forum rules as you apparently have, and we look forward to your questions and contributions.

Now about ammo prices. You really need to put that subject into perspective. In 1991 I took my first handgun training course and purchased a case of Winchester .45 ball ammo for $125, plus tax. A decade later I was buying the same stuff for a few bucks less. In 2008 I took a carbine course and needed 5.56 as well as .45 ammo, and guess what - I paid maybe $140 for that same case of .45 ball, a 12% increase in 17 years! Winchester 9mm ball is currently cheaper in bulk than it was a couple of years ago, just $118/500 at the Crossroads gun show (Phoenix) 2 weeks ago, and I actually got a case for $95 at a winter show.

Several things are at work to drive prices, notably commodity prices (copper, tin, lead) and moreso, supply and demand. I track 5.56x45 ammo cost, and last December I could get Federal M193 for around 31 cents a round, but today if you can find it, it's about 40 cents a round. But we're just 11 weeks away from a hotly contested Presidential election, and the hoarding has begun. The ammo retailers are fueling the hype as well. When politics are stable, then they talk about commodity shortages and price increases. When prices are stable, they'll hype the politics and the gun laws. This has been going on since around 1968.

Bottom line, there's nothing magical or mystical going on; just like the stock market, the key is "buy low, sell high." Duh! I recommend keeping an eye on prices at least monthly, buy ahead when you can, and over time your average per-round cost won't seem so bad. Oh, and get into reloading if you shoot a lot.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

I wrote a couple of threads about ammo prices

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Daytrader from the great state of Pennsylvania! Now, you better calm down Daytrader before you have a heart attack.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Well, we're living in the day of the devalued dollar and that is going to get better any time soon.
    So...how high can ammo prices go? The sky is the limit I guess.

So...how much has the U.S. Dollar been devalued? Many years ago a 20 dollar Gold Piece - (at the time having the equal worth of 20 paper dollars) would buy you a nice suit and a nice necktie and a dress shirt & maybe toss in a nice pair of dress shoes and a silk handkerchief.

Today...$20.00 in paper money will barely get you a decent necktie.

But a $25.00 Gold Eagle valued at around $850.00 these days will still get you a decent suit, dress shirt, necktie & shoes.

So that is how much "worth" has been incrementally robbed from our dollar.

Now...back on topic to...WELCOME!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links