First day on the range.....

This is a discussion on First day on the range..... within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; So yes, I'm a super-newbie! Today I took my first shot ever with my husband's HK USP .45 ACP. I hit the target at 40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First day on the range.....

So yes, I'm a super-newbie! Today I took my first shot ever with my husband's HK USP .45 ACP. I hit the target at 40 feet 2 out of 5 times and pulled the other 3 shots down too low. This was on our "homemade" range on 5 acres in Florida. I hit a few other targets (cans, milk jugs) but missed low more than I hit. I tried shooting from a sitting position with a table for support and did a little better. I shot about 40 rounds total and honestly, I was pleased that I didn't do anything dumb enough to wind up on a YouTube video (I never should have watched the "wife shoots Desert Eagle .50 cal " video). I was going to wait and learn on something smaller, but after reading several posts on this forum, I asked to shoot the .45 just too see how it felt....and it felt good! I also got to shoot some rifles. My son's M&P15-22 was a whole lot of fun. It has a scope (because they usually shoot from 40 yards, not 40 feet) and I felt like I was cheating. I hit everything I aimed at. And started a little more rapid fire shooting. And then I shot the .223 and now I wonder why the heck did I never shoot with them before? I loaded magazines, I cleaned the .45, and I got a pretty good drilling on gun safety. At least I feel competent enough to go to an indoor range and try out some other guns. Sorry if this is a little long, but I really wanted to tell someone what a great day it was for me. I have every intention of getting additional training and would love to hear constructive comments and suggestions.
    darbo, gottabkiddin and sgb like this.

Well, hey, welcome! You may have some catching up to do, but please, no regrets. By all means, seek training, both in the area of shooting skills and also regarding the implications of the use of deadly force. Glad to have you with us!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard nightshiftRph from the great state of Pennsylvania! Sounds like you had a great day - thanks for sharing it with us.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Don't worry about waiting so long to get started, you'll find a lot of late bloomers here.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin. With training & practice you'll improve your shooting skills. I give you all kinds of credit for starting in this great sport that has self defense ramifications. Besides that it's a lot of fun.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Enjoy! Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, glad you had fun shooting now keep up the practice

Welcome from Nebraska! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much. It sounds like you really have a winning combination; Variety of weapon types and calibers to experiment with, a place to shoot, and experienced shooters so you can learn how to shoot and handle guns properly before you develop bad habits.

Isn't shooting a lot of fun! Good luck and good shooting.

p.s. It is never 'cheating' when you can hit your intended target.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Welcome to DC from GA.

Glad you had a good time shooting a variety of firearms. I took my first shots a little over 30 years ago, been hooked ever since. Finally got my wife to the range not to long ago and she too loved it. She shot her .38 Special at about seven yards and hit her target area pretty well. She said she really enjoyed it and I was extremely pleased that she enjoyed it and she was able to place shots accurately on target. IMO, everyone should know how to shoot. Enjoy the sport and share it with your friends. Stay safe!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Welcome and have fun (and stay safe).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to the wonderful world of shooting. I'm a late bloomer with ya. In the short year since I've started shooting it has quickly become my favorite hobby.

I'm jealous, sounds like you have a great place to shoot, with a good variety and someone to watch and keep you safe while you learn.

Don't worry to much about accuracy at first, safety first. Plus you will probably be amazed how fast you'll improve if you keep at it with some regularity and with some good instruction. I've actually improved a TON by tracking each shot. I usually shoot at paper (all I got at my local ranges) but I just shoot 5 rounds at a time at one target. This way I can see where each shot hits. When that target has 5 shots in it, I cover it up with a new target. Takes alittle more time and effort but it is well worth it. This helped me a lot with making adjustements and finding out what works and what doesnt. BTW, I just shoot at cheap printer paper with a peice of orange tape in the center, one cheap target!!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Some recent work-related events have forced me to consider concealed carry. But I want some training and experience under my belt before I go live. Looking forward to some new experiences.

Welcome from Delaware! Good for you! Now you need to keep it up, and get your CC permit, and carry all the time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Fort Bliss, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links