Young & New to CC from FL but lifelong advocate of self-defense.

This is a discussion on Young & New to CC from FL but lifelong advocate of self-defense. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi guys Figured I ought to introduce myself. Handle on here is ghillie because I got quite into making ghillie suits when I was younger. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young & New to CC from FL but lifelong advocate of self-defense.

Hi guys

Figured I ought to introduce myself. Handle on here is ghillie because I got quite into making ghillie suits when I was younger.

I'm in my early 20's and recently got my Florida CWFL. Took the class prior to my 21st birthday and submitted the day after I was legal. Have wanted to carry for my whole life more or less.

I didn't grow up around a lot of guns. My grandfather never owned another gun after WWII because the blood he shed left him with a serious aversion to ever doing it again. Took up bowhunting instead. I would say that my grandpa has probably been the biggest role model in my life.

My dad was originally from NYC, so obviously he did not grow up with guns. We never had any when I was a kid, but his mentality has changed quite a bit in recent years (so much so that my 10 yo step-brother that lives with him is an amazing shot with the Benjamin pellet rifle he has).

I did spend a lot of time outdoors as a kid. My grandpa loves to fish (although I can count on one hand the times we actually caught anything) and there was plenty of that to be done in MI. My father is also an avid fly-fisherman, and he started teaching me how when I was about 5. That being said, living several states away (he is in PA) limited the amount of time we got to do that.

Even though I don't come from a family of gun owners, I still learned to shoot. When I was about 5 I shot a gun for the first time- some of my father's friends had a large property in the country in PA, and we went out there to visit. My parents shot handguns, and I got to shoot what was either an AK or an SKS (cannot remember how much assistance I actually got, but I did not end up sitting on the ground so SOMETHING must've been done with regards to recoil). I also got a chance to take a marksmanship course when I was in private school, and have done quite well the few times I've gone to shoot skeet.

I choose to carry because I have found myself with a fairly large family since both my parents remarried, and I've always kind of been the one that protects everyone (to paraphrase one of my stepsisters, "He's the best protection we've got"). I've always been the one that goes along for "muscle" when needed because I'm tall and muscular, so that is usually more than enough to prevent anyone from trying something stupid. I'm not a fighter for the most part- I have a very slow fuse and can talk my way out of most stuff. But the world is full of crazy people, and when reason goes out the window, you need something else. I'd rather carry my gun everywhere I can for the rest of my life and never need to draw it, than to have to live with the consequences of not having it in that moment of truth.

That's me in a nutshell! Glad to be here!

Welcome aboard.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Welcome! We need more young, responsible people out there who know how to handle themselves. I, too, share your protector mentality.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

WELCOME Ghillie! Sounds like your family put more stock in thinking for yourself than in simply agreeing with them. That's a bigger gift than you realize! You've signed-up, now join-in!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Welcome to DC
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome aboard from Oklahoma.

Michael

Hello, Ghillie, and welcome from Missouri to a great and informative forum with LOTS of info. Thanks for sharing!

P5
    Welcome from MD
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome from the AZ desert!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Welcome! We need more young, responsible people out there who know how to handle themselves. I, too, share your protector mentality.
    I'm trying to be one of the odd ones out in my generation. I often feel I'm surrounded by idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    WELCOME Ghillie! Sounds like your family put more stock in thinking for yourself than in simply agreeing with them. That's a bigger gift than you realize! You've signed-up, now join-in!
    I definitely plan to join in as best I can! I would agree, it's a huge blessing. Obviously there are certain views that were more aggressively encouraged (especially those pertaining to religion), but I was always able to form my own opinions. The only clause was that I was able to defend whatever opinion I held.

Welcome, from FL.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links