Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

This is a discussion on Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by Paladin3840 Small hands call for both a short trigger reach and a small grip. If semi-auto's are your thing look at/handle a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Small hands call for both a short trigger reach and a small grip. If semi-auto's are your thing look at/handle a Sig P238. For revolvers the J-frame Smiths have small grips but trigger reach may still be an issue - handle one and see if it fits without squirming your hand toward the trigger.

Being short waisted causes most holsters to ride too high placing the grip too close to the armpit to allow drawing. Curvy figures usually tilt holsters toward the ribs causing the grip too dig in uncomfortably. Kramer Gun Holsters | Handgun Holsters |Custom Gun Holster Leather
    has a Womans Belt Scabbard designed to solve both problems.

FIST holsters FIST, Inc. has a Lady Fist line.

My petite wife's solution is a Ken Null Gibralter K.L. Null Holsters Home Page made straight draw and worn cross draw at 9:00. It blends the gun butt with the bustline and the gun frame is under her arm. She wears a camisole under an unbuttoned shirt or blouse as a summer casual outfit. You can call Ken and discuss your requirements - he is a real nice guy with a long history of custom built holsters to meet unique needs.

Beltless slacks or skirts present a different issue. the FIST #1 Inside Waisteband worn cross draw in front of the hip or in the appendix position is a solution for some. The garment waist must be an inch or two oversize to accommodate the gun. Some belt clips are unsecure, but. the FIST clip has a hook to keep the holster from coming out with the gun when drawn.
    lol are you sure you used the right word? A camisole is an undershirt. It is worn over a bra so the bra doesn't show through a shirt or worn in place of a bra.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    There's also a thread on this forum for women:

The Official Female Carry Reference Thread

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome!

The Beretta Nano looks to be a hair smaller but probably not enough to make a difference. I like mine for summer but will go back to my G27 once the temps start dropping. Have you thought about a 380?

Welcome to the forum. I am an "older" woman with small hands and arthritis. It limits me to a small carry gun. After trying a couple of different ones (S&W 38 spl snubby, and S&W 22 magnum snubby) I decided on the 22 mag. It is easy to carry and fire, and is easy on the hands. The magnum has a little more fire power than a regular 22LR. There is also another web site that you might want to check out. The Well Armed Woman. They have lots of good information on just about everything you need to know.

Generically speaking...

[QUOTE=minimalbrat;2374179]lol are you sure you used the right word? A camisole is an undershirt.

Yep, a camisole is indeed a ladies undershirt. They are available in different materials, colors, cuts, lengths, plain or lacy. A T-shirt can even serve that function.

And yours are ???

[QUOTE=Paladin3840;2374247]
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    lol are you sure you used the right word? A camisole is an undershirt.

Yep, a camisole is indeed a ladies undershirt. They are available in different materials, colors, cuts, lengths, plain or lacy. A T-shirt can even serve that function.

And yours are ???
    lol I was being funny. I yelled to the hubby and asked if I could wear my camisole outside. He yelled back PUT SOME DARN CLOTHES ON.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

I can't add any more than the info you've received other than to reiterate that trying out as many different handguns that you can & experiment with concealment. There has to be a happy medium between concealment & ease of access to your gun. You might have to have a drawer full of holster to go with the particular wardrobe that your wearing that day & maybe even several guns to go with that. I've got it easy myself as I tend to wear the same type of clothes daily - cargo pants & untucked T shirts. I can't carry my gun to church because it's attached to our school & in this state that's a felony unfortumnately. When winter comes along (too soon in Wisconsin, probably the same in Ohio) I'l have more options but from everything I've heard & from my own experience everything can be concealed. Being in an open carry state it's no big deal if the gun/holster prints or peeks out of my clothing.

Good luck!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

My wife is 119 lbs soaking wet and she carries a 5 shot S&w in a holster from smartcarry.com, I am a little BIGGER and carry a beretta nano 9mm in a in the same type holster, you can not even see it, on either of us, works for us, maybe not everyone. Just sayin.........

Welcome aboard from another Buckeye.

The 709's a decent enough gun. The good thing about 9mm is ammo is cheap. Practice, practice, practice. Try out some other guns in the meantime.

Welcome from a fellow Ohioan.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum

A warm welcome from southern MI!
    Good to have you aboard.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome to the forum from a brother EMT. Sorry I cant help on your questions, Im still fairly new to carrying.

I have realy small hands but I am partial to the large backstrap on my Gen4 Glock. Its all quite personal (preference/comfort) in the big picture.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links