Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

This is a discussion on Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome aboard dane from the great state of Pennsylvania!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard dane from the great state of Pennsylvania!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome to the forums.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Howdy, ma'am

[QUOTE=minimalbrat;2374279]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post

lol I was being funny. I yelled to the hubby and asked if I could wear my camisole outside. He yelled back PUT SOME DARN CLOTHES ON.

I took it in jest but assumed it was a man's response who was only familiar with the Victoria's Secret lacy, slinky material type that look like the top half of a fancy slip. I thought I was asking what type "he" wears .
    Last edited by Paladin3840; August 31st, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Red face CCW gals

Quote Originally Posted by danegrl View Post
    Hello from Ohio

Im a new CCW gal, looking for some advice. Im a new shooter, 49 years old.
    I have the hands of a 4 year old. I am right handed, but, also left eye dominant
    and Im learning to shoot left handed. At the moment, I have a Taurus 709 Slim.
    It's a little large for me to conceal, forgot to tell everyone, Im also only 5'2. Short and curvy.

Any recommendations for me as far as a pistol and a holster for on-body carry ?
    Hi Danegrl-
    I am new to CCW also, did get some great recommendations from the local gunshop, but also enjoyed the youtubes there is a female police officer that gives some great CCW tips for women including different holsters, and how to wear them. Good luck with your selection, Be safe! Hrstang

The Sig P238 is light, easy to rack and little receoil. The only problem would be to be effective you have to carry it cocked and locked, meaning one in the chamber and the safety on. You might feel uncomfortable at first carrying that way, but it shoots great and works well with a crimson trace laser.

[QUOTE=Paladin3840;2374896]
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post

I took it in jest but assumed it was a man's response who was only familiar with the Victoria's Secret lacy, slinky material type that look like the top half of a fancy slip. I thought I was asking what type "he" wears .
    Now see you are going to have me question why I have so many in the wash each week lol
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Hello and welcome from Central FL - might want to look at a S&W M&P compact 9mm - my son has one and it's easy to handle. I agree with going to a local gun shop and looking for options. Small revolvers are always a good bet but some of the extra light-weight ones have a feisty little recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by danegrl View Post
    Hello from Ohio

Im a new CCW gal, looking for some advice. Im a new shooter, 49 years old.
    I have the hands of a 4 year old. I am right handed, but, also left eye dominant
    and Im learning to shoot left handed. At the moment, I have a Taurus 709 Slim.
    It's a little large for me to conceal, forgot to tell everyone, Im also only 5'2. Short and curvy.

Any recommendations for me as far as a pistol and a holster for on-body carry ?
    The Smith & Wesson Model 642 Centennial Airweight Revolver

Welcome from Georgia. Being a guy, I can't speak from my experieince, but my wife (5'0 and 105#) favors a S&W J-Frame 38 Special. She can get off a shot double action, but given time, she can also transition to single action for stability and ease. I carry a 4" 1911 but I also like the fact her revoler is very forgiving and reliable with less possibility of a malfunction. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but made a recommendation for my daughter (4'10 and 125#) that she try one of the "Remora" type holsters which don't rely on belts, loops, etcetera and can be positioned pretty much anywhere in the waist band. Regardless, get your hands on as many different types as possible and choose what's comfortable and functional.
    Retired Combat Infantryman, Ranger, Special Forces, Master Parachutist, Pathfinder

Oderint Dum Metuant

Springfield M1A Scout and M4 (Zombie Apocalypse), Remington 870 (Home Defense), Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC), Sig P238 (BUG)

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Fort Bliss, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by badge70 View Post
    Hello and welcome from Central FL - might want to look at a S&W M&P compact 9mm - my son has one and it's easy to handle. I agree with going to a local gun shop and looking for options. Small revolvers are always a good bet but some of the extra light-weight ones have a feisty little recoil.
    For some people the flat shape of semi-autos print very badly, but the more organic shape of a compact revolver doesn't seem to draw the eye. Most people find a snubbie more difficult to shoot accurately than a semi, but if you can conceal it well then consider going with a mid-weight version to tame the recoil.

You'll get used to the weight (kinda comforting after awhile), but you'll want to make sure your shots are well placed if you've only got 5-6 rounds...

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Welcome from Ada, Ohio. NW Ohio CCW
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links