Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

This is a discussion on Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello from Ohio Im a new CCW gal, looking for some advice. Im a new shooter, 49 years old. I have the hands of a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

Question Hello from Ohio ~ New CCW gal looking for some advice

Hello from Ohio

Im a new CCW gal, looking for some advice. Im a new shooter, 49 years old.
    I have the hands of a 4 year old. I am right handed, but, also left eye dominant
    and Im learning to shoot left handed. At the moment, I have a Taurus 709 Slim.
    It's a little large for me to conceal, forgot to tell everyone, Im also only 5'2. Short and curvy.

Any recommendations for me as far as a pistol and a holster for on-body carry ?

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama

I would try out a few different types, maybe going to snubnose revolver. But htere are lots of sub compact autos out there too. I would suggest going to gun shops and window shopping
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Welcome. Try out several before you decide.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. You might want to check out the links below.

limalife (aka limatunes) - YouTube
    Cornered Cat - Table Of Contents
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Welcome, from a fellow Ohioan.

Hand size/ergonomics will play a big role in what you end up shooting. Snubby revolvers are definitely a choice to look to, especially ones with a smaller grip (keeping in mind that the stocks on a revolver can also be replaced with aftermarket units), but their typically lighter weight can make for subjectively harsher recoil feel, particularly with defensive loads.

Smaller autos are also often lighter - which again make for a harsher recoil feel, but some of the recoil impulse is taken up by the slide reciprocating...again, it's highly subjective, as a part of the equation about what affects "felt recoil" will necessarily be how your hands fit to the gun. With steel-framed sub-compact autos, like the Kahr MK9, you'll trade some of that extra weight/mass for recoil mitigation, versus, say their PM9 or CM9 cousins, but yet again, it's highly subjective. Given that you say you have small hands, while a Compact or even Sub-Compact polymer-frame double-stacker may feel overly large to you, I still think that you should give them a shot - for their increased capacity, if nothing else - and specifically to try to get your hands around a few that have custom-worked "grip reductions," to see if they can fit you better.

In terms of on-body carry, the weight of the gun can be an issue for women due to the fact that your clothes aren't as "standardized' as that for us men. Belt loops may not present with any consistency in terms of not only sizing, but also placement...and sometimes, the materials/stitching of the belt-loop may not be physically strong enough to endure repeat draw-strokes. Since having proper support gear - a good belt and a good holster - is sooooooooooo incredibly important in terms of all-day carry-comfort, this is a hurdle you'll have to address, first: you may need to shop for several different configurations and thicknesses of carry belts, to insure compatibility with your wardrobe.

One special concern for women, especially, is whether a belt that's strong enough to offer proper support for your carry gun/hoslter will be comfortable to wear throughout your day. Since I'm a man, this is something that I'd honestly never thought much about, until I met Jake and Hazel Sabens of ARES Gear, and Jake counseled a fellow classmate, a female, about potential fit/comfort problems with certain female builds, when using his (awesome!) Ranger Belts.

With holsters, you'll find a wide range of opinions, with regard to comfort: simply put, it's highly subjective. We're all human, we're all built just a little differently - and even with two people of the same exact body build and shape, we'll likely have different subjective preferences. Man or woman, this is simply life, and given the variety of ways in which one can carry, while there are some rules-of-thumb, you'll find that, pretty much, it's really a trial-and-error process. Nevertheless, like I said, there are still some general guidelines, and for female shooters, The Cornered Cat (Cornered Cat - Table Of Contents) website, Stephen Wenger's DUF "Holster Selection" guide (~spwenger's DEFENSIVE USE OF FIREARMS: Holster Selection), Limatunes/Limalife's YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/limalife), and Faliaphotography's YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography) all can offer at least some direction...but even then, you may note that the latter are of a certain body-build, and the former are more generalized and my not be quite as helpful.

Finally, in terms of your cross-dominance?

Don't worry about it.

Shooting left-handed for a left-eye dominant shooter can be of high return for some aspects of the shooting sports, but for most "defensive" situations, it's honestly not necessary.

While some cross-dominant shooters prefer to slightly cant their head to one side so that they can bring their left eye in-line with the pistol held in their right hand, I much prefer to simply move the pistol over to the eye, and hold my head normally, "squared" to the target. Depending on just how cross-dominant you are (and different people will have differences), this can be anywhere from just a hair's width movement of your gun to the left or as much as an inch or two to the left, at full presentation/extension. I'm extremely cross-dominant (right-handed, left-eye dominant) - and my "shift over" is maybe about an inch?

What I will strongly advocate, though, is that you figure out just how cross-dominant you are.

For me, for example, if I'm shooting around a barricade on my "strong side" (i.e. my body leans out to the right, the barricade covers the left side of my body), if I shoot that position with both eyes open, an optical illusion presents to my brain where I *see* that both my barrel and my sights have cleared the barricade, while in-reality, only my sights have cleared. This is obviously a big problem. Similarly, shooting from certain positions - such as prone and "Urban Prone" on my strong side - I also must make adjustments based on my cross-dominance.

[As an aside, to demonstrate just how cross-dominant I am, with a shotgun, with both eyes open using a simple bead front, I can actually visually seem to have lined up a perfect center-mass shot on a man-sized target at 25 yards, but actually miss high-left - using birdshot!]

These problems are not ones you'll want to find out about, when you're in the fight of your life, out there on the streets. Instead, work to find if you have such concerns/limitations while you're practicing at the range, and work out what *you* need to do, to overcome such issues.

The good thing about being left-eye dominant but right-handed? Shooting from your left side will be a breeze, while it will give many of your other friends a bit more trouble.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I need to type faster - archer51 already brought up those two websites!

Hello, DaneGirl, and welcome from Missouri to a great and informative forum with LOTS of info. Just completed my CC class, and the instructor noted one should carry the largest caliber pistol you can comfortably control. I also have a Taurus PT709 Slim to use as my CCW.

P5
    Welcome from MD
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Welcome from Wisconsin.....

If there is a gun store in your area that rents guns you might want to go that route in finding the right handgun. There should be someone there that can help you decide.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Small hands call for both a short trigger reach and a small grip. If semi-auto's are your thing look at/handle a Sig P238. For revolvers the J-frame Smiths have small grips but trigger reach may still be an issue - handle one and see if it fits without squirming your hand toward the trigger.

Being short waisted causes most holsters to ride too high placing the grip too close to the armpit to allow drawing. Curvy figures usually tilt holsters toward the ribs causing the grip too dig in uncomfortably. Kramer Gun Holsters | Handgun Holsters |Custom Gun Holster Leather
    has a Womans Belt Scabbard designed to solve both problems.

FIST holsters FIST, Inc. has a Lady Fist line.

My petite wife's solution is a Ken Null Gibralter K.L. Null Holsters Home Page made straight draw and worn cross draw at 9:00. It blends the gun butt with the bustline and the gun frame is under her arm. She wears a camisole under an unbuttoned shirt or blouse as a summer casual outfit. You can call Ken and discuss your requirements - he is a real nice guy with a long history of custom built holsters to meet unique needs.

Beltless slacks or skirts present a different issue. the FIST #1 Inside Waisteband worn cross draw in front of the hip or in the appendix position is a solution for some. The garment waist must be an inch or two oversize to accommodate the gun. Some belt clips are unsecure, but. the FIST clip has a hook to keep the holster from coming out with the gun when drawn.

Welcome to the Forum!

Can't offer any assistance, but I think you will be hard pressed to find a "significantly" smaller gun than your Slim.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Welcome to the forum. After you find something that fits think about getting a laser. I have a laser on both my carry weapons and I really like them. Often in our practice, around corners, etc. the laser is the one handed way to aim without actually aiming. The hole goes where the red dot is. I have been using them for several months and they work. test them every time before you holster the gun and before you put them away. Disclaimer: I use Crimson Trace but I have no interest in any laser company.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Welcome from So Cal! Good luck in your search, but I can not add to everything that has already been said. I love my S&W 442 and while it is small for me it may fit your small size well. Let us know what you get!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Im a new CCW gal, looking for some advice. Im a new shooter, 49 years old.
    I have the hands of a 4 year old. I am right handed, but, also left eye dominant
    and Im learning to shoot left handed. At the moment, I have a Taurus 709 Slim.
    It's a little large for me to conceal, forgot to tell everyone, Im also only 5'2. Short and curvy.

Not sure what happened there so I tried to show who the reply was to

I like you already. Hello I am in NE Ohio. I am 49 years old lol. I am left handed but because of an accident years ago I have to shoot right handed lol. I have the hands of a child too lol but maybe an older child. I have a 709 slim You are pretty darn tall. I am 4' 11 and also curvy.

Because of the small hands we do have a bit of a problem with the size of grip and the reach of the trigger. I have the 709 and it is a pretty nice gun. Has a bit more recoil than the sr9c. I have a snub nose 38 that I also really like. I have to admit I love my new ruger sr9c. It is a bit bigger and a bit heavier but with the extended magazine I can wrap both of my hands around and get a nice tight hold.

Carry can be a problem. Shoulder holster, well the chest does get in the way for me to reach and grab the gun. Around the waste area, well that can depend on how you dress. The holsters tend to want to pull down my pants. My pants don't tend to have belt loops and those that do have them don't have the types of belts that will hold up to a holster. I am still thinking on this. A nice inner shirt with a unbuttoned outer shirt can do it but there is still a bulge. I haven't found the perfect way to carry on the body yet. Got a belly holster yesterday so I am going to see how that goes. A jacket can be put over that with ease. I carry in a ccw purse right now.

There are so many things for us ladies to think about when we want to carry on body or off. What type of clothing are we wearing today, one type of carry might be ok for one day but not for another. Where are we going to be and what are we going to be doing. A purse might be great sometimes but other times isn't practical. As the weather changes we might change the way we carry.

Guns: There is no right gun for everyone. If you can rent a few different kinds about the size you like and see which you like best. Every time I get a new gun it is my favorite.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links