Saying hello and asking for some honest opinions

This is a discussion on Saying hello and asking for some honest opinions within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome from South Carolina......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Saying hello and asking for some honest opinions

Welcome from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice. I think given what I've heard I am going with the Defender. I had pretty much decided since the one I'm looking at is going to cost me less than $700 used (no more than 500, but probably closer to 300 rounds fired through). Kind of a have to grab it while you can situation, but wanted to hear from real shooters. I'm not so well off that I can piss away that kind of money on a gun that will not be reliable. That being said, advice on holsters? Jeans and t-shirt kinda guy so will be carrying inside the belt probably 3/4 of the way back on the right side.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Welcome from SouthCentral Kansas!

Senior Moderator
    The defender isn't going to be SUPER heavy but the better your holster can handle the weight the better it will carry no matter how light/heavy it is.

A good holster that will last you a lifetime is worth the extra $$$. Be willing and ready to spend $80 +.

Milt Sparks VMII is great. Probably my favorite IWB and I've tried a LOT of IWBs.

I won't reinvent the wheel... here's a video I made on choosing a comfortable IWB....

Welcome from Michigan!
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The defender isn't going to be SUPER heavy but the better your holster can handle the weight the better it will carry no matter how light/heavy it is.

A good holster that will last you a lifetime is worth the extra $$$. Be willing and ready to spend $80 +.

Milt Sparks VMII is great. Probably my favorite IWB and I've tried a LOT of IWBs.

I won't reinvent the wheel... here's a video I made on choosing a comfortable IWB....
    Great Vid, Subscribed! Thanks

welcome from S.C. I carried a Glock 36 for about a year, and I am now experimenting with a Kimber ultra carry tht I like a lot. I am sure the colt will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    Greetings folks. Just joined, though I've read a few threads in the past. Quick bio, live in Mi, Marine vet (obviously), father of 8. I'm planning on receiving my CPL in about a month, barring any unforseen issues, and am trying to decide on a personal carry. I am currently looking at a Colt Defender .45 with a 3 in. barrel. I'm curious to hear some opinions from people who have used this, or a similar, gun? Please no fanboy or hater gushing. Just personal, firsthand experiences. Thanks in advance.
    I carry a Kimber ultra carry II. It is a 1911 45 with a 3 in barrel. I use 165 grain ammo to tame the recoil. That round is great in this gun. I've found that the standard 230 grain round is just not fun to shoot in this small gun.

Welcome bro! I switch between my ruger 1911 full size and my glock 17. Have a good belt and a good holster and you should be fine!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Welcome from Schoolcraft, MI.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Welcome to DC from GA.
    Thank you for your service to our country!!!!!!
    I too, am looking at the Defender from Colt and also a EMP in 9mm for every day carry. I am also lookin at he G26. But as always stated
    here by quite a few more experienced people the myself, carry what you shoot the best and are most comfortable carring.

Milt Sparks holsters and 1911s are perfect matches. A Versa Max is probably your best rig, but I like Summer Special IIs as well. You can get one from Brownells.

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

yep to the Colt!

Welcome to DefensiveCarry.com from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links