Would Appreciate guidance

This is a discussion on Would Appreciate guidance within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I have taken my ccw class and awaiting my permit to arive. I purchased a ruger lc9 w a lazer. What I love : I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Appreciate guidance

I have taken my ccw class and awaiting my permit to arive. I purchased a ruger lc9 w a lazer. What I love : I can conceal it. ( google the flashbang holster). What I hate: the insanely long trigger pull . My home gun is a beretta 40- and I feel so much more comfortable shooting . Im Seriously considering selling the ruger. What do you recommend?? I'm 5'7". Athletic/ Strong build. Med/ large hands for a woman. I do not wear baggy clothes. - so concealment is a challenge w a larger gun. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. I feel that anyone who is uncomfortable with any aspect of a particular weapon will neither trust it nor have the necessary confidence in it to make that weapon a primary protection piece.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the forum, you can try the Sig 938 or some of the other single stack 9's that are on the market now. Or you can look at some of the .380's that are on the market. I do. It own a pocket rocket myself.

If you are willing to take the time and practice you can try a snubnose .38/.357.

I do not recommend little revolvers to first time shooters, because they take time to learn to shoot well. But once you master them they are very nice if you don't mind only having 5 rounds and the slow reload time
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I agree. So, would you sacrafice concealment for a weapon that you are 100% confident in?.... Yet, may be detected?

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    I agree. So, would you sacrafice concealment for a weapon that you are 100% confident in?.... Yet, may be detected?
    I personally would if the laws in your State do not penalize a person for printing.

Michael

If you're good with shooting a .45, I'd personally recommend the Springfield XDS. I love this gun, and its pretty small (for a .45) and easy to conceal. Downside is it's 5+1 - this is not any better than a revolver though, if you go that route. You can certainly get 9mm or .380 compacts with more rounds, but I'm a .45 guy. In that same department, the Glock 36 is barely (barely barely) bigger than the XDS and is 6+1.

I do second the .38 snubnose as well, though.

Edit:
    On a side note, the XDS does have some substantial weight to it. Some people don't like this, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be great for a bra holster.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Hi soccermom! Welcome from Central FL!

I recently went through the same thing. I had the LC9 and LOVED the concealability of it and often used the flashbang. I hated the trigger pull and although I was hitting the target I wasn't a great shot with it. I finally decided I'd rather get a gun I shoot well than one that was easy to carry. So I sold it and bought an XDsc 9. It's certainly more difficult to dress around it but I'm much more confident and happier with my EDC now. (I too hate baggy clothes) I'm wearing a little baggier tops now or dresses but still not too bad, nothing that makes me feel too bad about it. Patterns help hide it too. There are days when I'm going through my closet I miss the LC9 and I'll probably one of these days get a XDs or Shied to have a single stack option but I'm making the bigger gun work and don't regret my choice. If you haven't come across it yet, I love Gracie at www.packingpretty.com she's got some great tips on dressing around a larger gun. Lima and cornered cat are 2 other great resources!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, as far as carry be sure to check out Limatunes videos on YouTube great info for the ladies.

Choosing a Comfortable IWB - YouTube Is one but she has many more.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    I have taken my ccw class and awaiting my permit to arive. I purchased a ruger lc9 w a lazer. What I love : I can conceal it. ( google the flashbang holster). What I hate: the insanely long trigger pull . My home gun is a beretta 40- and I feel so much more comfortable shooting . Im Seriously considering selling the ruger. What do you recommend?? I'm 5'7". Athletic/ Strong build. Med/ large hands for a woman. I do not wear baggy clothes. - so concealment is a challenge w a larger gun. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    I found the lc9 to be a great sd gun. I recommend that you just practice with the trigger pull. Honestly after 1 trip to the range and 350 rds 7lb trigger pull isn't that bad. You will get to a point where you can pull it quickly and feel the point where if you go any further it will fire, and fire very smoothy. Just need a little practice imo.

However the recoil is surprisingly strong with the lc9 and I would not rely at your laser to quicky place two shots if you don't have the practice with it.

I sold an LC9 and used the funds toward a Colt Commander. The trigger did me in as well though not at first. It was ok, and as.a first concealed carry gun it was fine, for a bit. Eventually I started to practice more and became more in tune with the intricacies of the gun and realized that, for me, there were things I wanted that the gun didn't have. Totally personal choice. I had no ftf, fte, or any mechanical issues with the gun and am a big Ruger fan. Concealement, after seeing how easy a small gun is to conceal I am sure I can do it with a larger gun and am willing to sacrifice a bit more weight on the belt for what I feel more comfortable carrying.

Good luck, stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Wow ! I really appreciate the replies! Thank you. I'll definitely checkout all of the suggestions. ;0)

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Uncertain how large "too large" would be, on you. Depends on the holster, clothing and body shape as to which combination you'll find is reasonably concealable.

If you haven't yet picked one up, it might be worth holding/shooting a Kahr K9. The ergonomics are great. It's an all-steel gun with some "heft" as compared to the ultralight plastic variants on the market. It's fairly thin and relatively short, as well, so many find it to conceal easily. If not wanting such weight, the CW9 might be an option, as it's basically the K9 format but with a polymer frame.

A decent revolver should be a consideration. With a great holster, a tight-to-the-body fit can be easily achieved. A number of wonderful revolvers are on the market.

If you're open to somewhat larger, heavier guns, then the Ruger SP-101 .357 revolver is a great option. If willing to consider prior vintage revolvers (older designs, often discontinued), there are plenty of great revolvers that are still excellent options. Many of today's "airweight" revolvers are easily concealed, but for some they can be a real bear to shoot accurately.

A couple of useful discussion threads:

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

My wife didn't like the LC9 for the same reason. She has the Kahr CW9 now and loves it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links