New gun owner from NYC - Page 4

New gun owner from NYC

This is a discussion on New gun owner from NYC within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Leaving out any 2nd Amendment issues;I'm still amazed at the title of this thread; NEW GUN OWNER FROM N.Y.C. Welcome from former Kings county resident!!!!!...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New gun owner from NYC

Leaving out any 2nd Amendment issues;I'm still amazed at the title of this thread;

NEW GUN OWNER FROM N.Y.C.

Welcome from former Kings county resident!!!!!
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Leaving out any 2nd Amendment issues;I'm still amazed at the title of this thread;

NEW GUN OWNER FROM N.Y.C.

Welcome from former Kings county resident!!!!!
    otherwise known as "Brooklyn". :)

Welcome Pythius. As you can probably guess from my handle and avatar I'm also from the city that never sleeps

It's nice to have a little more diversity of opinion and demography around here.
    Pythius likes this.

Welcome to the forum from S.E. Michigan

Hey, hey! Welcome from another urban-dweller with differing political opinions than the majority on this forum.

People from every corner of the U.S. are represented here, and it's clear that people who come from crime-ridden cities where there are shootings daily are naturally going to want some sort of regulation. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I am one of those people. But people who come from areas without that caliber of crime may not feel that way. They've never been in that situation, or it doesn't affect them so it's not their problem. Which is also understandable. Why should their rights be compromised because of some yahoos on the other side of the country? Or perhaps they do agree there should be regulation, but no one will agree on what the best way to go about it is. That's just politics. Everyone wants the same thing - a peaceful nation where we can exercise our rights without issue - but finding a compromise is far from easy. I just hope we can all respect each other!

(mods, if that was inappropriate, please just delete, but don't lock the thread down on my account!)

Welcome from St. Louis.
    Pythius likes this.

Reasonable gun registration? By whom?... Limited number of purchases?.... by whom?

I understand the OP's thinking. You see I escaped from NY myself. It is hard for some of us NY'rs to understand that a firearm is just a tool. In the city of NY you are limited to what the king considers a reasonable firearm. In the city of NY the King decides who may have a handgun, how many firearms one can own, and what kind of firearms they can own. As I said I escaped from NY and was deprogrammed. Now living in Florida I feel much better now. Pythius my friend... take a road trip down to florida. Down here gun's are as common as knives and forks. Anyone who is not a convicted felon, or a mental case may own one... Any race, any religion, any creed, any sexual prefference, any handicap.. (yes even a blind person) may own firearms. Most people do own at least one firearm. Here in Florida you can walk into any gun shop. put down your money, prove a Florida residency buy a gun... any kind of a gun. Then come back in a few days, pass an instant background check... and walk out with your purchase. You can keep it loaded in your car. If you like take a few hour class, prove you can safely handle a gun, fill out an application...submit fingerprints, and in a few weeks get a license to carry a gun anywhere it's legal... in your pocket.

The funny thing is.... were not at each others throats, we dont have wild west shootouts, we dont have race wars, we dont have murderers running amok, we dont settle our differences with our shootin irons... In fact murder outside the usual suspects is rare. People down here will shoot to defend themselves... so personal crime is pretty low. The only thing is... we're pretty polite to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Welcome from North Carolina, the California state of the south...Taxes, laws, fees and all. I know of several Yankees who moved here and later stated that they didn't move far enough south. Some stay others move on to Florida.
    Welllll Florida is a bit weird... The further south you go.... the further north you get.

Florida is that way because it's FLORIDA. Beautiful and sunny and beachy! Who would want to put a damper on the mood with a shooting?

any handicap.. (yes even a blind person) may own firearms.
    Okay, you got me there. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I am a new gun owner, who recently bought a Ruger 10/22. I have a lot to learn about guns and plan on asking a lot of question regarding usage & cleaning of the gun.

I respect the right to bear arms, but I also believe in some common sense gun regulations. But I feel that NYC's gun regulations are too strict and should be reduced.

I look forward to respectful, intelligent, and interesting conversation with you all. :)
    As I have stated in prior posts I also agree with rules for those who are to obtain licenses to carry. Generally my rule would be proven knowledge and ability. Those who have military history, law enforcement, or other agency good to go. Others should have to pass some sort of qualification course to show basic safety and ability. I have been around people with handguns who had no idea what they were doing and it was quite unnerving.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Welcome from Mesa, Arizona via Fort Bliss, Texas

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

Hello, Pythius, and welcome from Missouri to this great forum. Good folks and LOTS of info here.

Welcome from Michigan!
    I just moved here after spending 12 years in NJ New Jersey.
    I miss a few things about the NE... but certainly not all the 2A restrictions.
    Good to have you aboard.
    Enjoy.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

P5
    Welcome from Md
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links