Just bought my first gun S&W 9mm Shield

This is a discussion on Just bought my first gun S&W 9mm Shield within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just bought my first gun S&W 9mm Shield, if you donít count a Browning Buckmark 22 which was handed down to me from my Father ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Just bought my first gun S&W 9mm Shield

Just bought my first gun S&W 9mm Shield

Just bought my first gun S&W 9mm Shield, if you donít count a Browning Buckmark 22 which was handed down to me from my Father 20 years ago. Traveling long distances from home to work each day and getting off of work at midnight I decided to purchase a firearm followed by getting a carry permit. Having researched for long time now which gun Iíd like to carry, I decided and bought an S&W Shield 9mm ($399) which Iíve been searching for three months throughout TN. Iím now actively searching for a quality conceal carry permit class in middle TN as my next step to being a responsible gun owner.
    Through this forum I found some very helpful information and recommendations on what type of ammo to shoot at an in-door gun range (Winchester Whitebox) and a holster I believe will fit what Iím looking for like Ramora Series 6Art IWB.
    Since Iím new to gun ownership and donít fully understand ballistics, stopping power, grain ammo yet, what would be good not too expensive ammo for self-defense?
    Since I plan to practice with my gun quite often at the range, any suggestions on a range type bag where I can carry my two guns and ammo in?

Any other tips or suggestion would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations and welcome to the forum
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Excellent purchase and welcome!

Great gun and you got it at a good price. I love mine. It is surprisingly accurate for a smaller weapon. I use Winchester White box FMJ and Federal FMJ for range practice and use Hydroshocks when carrying. All can be had at Walmart pretty inexpensively.

Distinguished Member Array S&WOwner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!

Welcome aboard.

Congratulations on the new M&P Shield. I have one myself and it is an awesome pistol.

Regarding your ammo question. You will get a lot more exposure from members if you post your question in the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics section.

However, in my opinion for defensive ammo in the 9mm caliber, I prefer ammo which has a proven track record of stopping in real gunfights. Good performing ammo are Federal HST; Speer Gold Dot's; Remington Golden Saber; Winchester Ranger - T series or Hornady XST. I would bet my life on any of those rounds.

Currently, I am using 147 gr. Federal HST's in all my 9mm's because I got a good price at the time. I have used Speer Gold Dots and the Ranger-T's with good luck in the past. Personally I stay with the heavier grain bullets in 9mm. 147 gr., 124 gr., or 126 gr. I do not carry 115 grain bullets for defensive use.

I also recommend looking at tnoutdoors9 YouTube videos. He is an engineer who does ballistics tests as a pretty serious hobby. He does good work with very consistent, and carefully conducted tests. He has done 47 videos on 9mm ammo alone and has tested many of the rounds I mentioned above. You can see his 9mm tests here.

Some of his earliest tests were with gallon jugs packed with wet paper, but he has since been testing with ballistic gelatin and placing 4 layers of denim material in front of the blocks of ballistic gelatin using the IWBA (International Wound Ballistics Association) standards. Many of the ammo tests he has done using both methods.
    Last edited by Bark'n; October 10th, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
    marcclarke likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    congrats on the new 9MM and Welcome from Wisconsin>

Welcome from Alabama! You'll soon find a lot of varying opinions on a good defensive ammo. As said earlier, go to the defensive ammunition forum and spend a lot time reading. Personally, I carry 147 grain Golden Saber or 147 grain Ranger T. Wouldn't hesitate to carry Federal HST or Gold Dot either. Some will prefer the 124 grain weights, others, myself among them, like the heavier 147 grain bullets.

A great place to buy ammo is SGAMMO.com. You can get premium defensive ammo in 50 round boxes for about the same or not much more than a box of 20 or 25 in a LGS. You may want to buy some smaller quantities of 2 or 3 different brands to begin with and see what your gun handles best and you are most proficient with. Then buy several boxes and practice with your carry ammo as well as your "range ammo." You need to practice with what you will carry.
    NRA Life Member

Welcome Aboard and Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Howdy, I like my Shield as well. I carry this in my car and a Kahr PM9 on me.

Hello, Golfany, and welcome from Missouri to this great forum - good people and lots of info here! I was also interested in the Shield (9mm) - where did you find one for $399? You will get all kinds of advice on SD ammo. I suggest you review the article in the link below and decide on something for yourself. For self defense, the real key is like real estate: Location, location, location! (where you hit the BG). Get a few boxes of a few different brands and types, and see what works best with your Shield. I have a Taurus 709 Slim, and it seems to eat any bullet grain of hollow point that I'v fed it so far. Still more testing to do. Best of luck to you, and take care!

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

And, here are some good places to check for deals on Ammo:

Target Sports USA | Discount Ammunition Online | Ammo For Sale | Free Shipping Ammunition

Pistol Ammunition | SGAmmo.com

The Armory: 9mm Ammo ammunition, Remington, Winchester, Corbon, S&B, PMC, Aguila, Wolf,
    marcclarke likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Welcome to DC from Wisconsin. Great choice of a firearm. Love my Shield. It may be your first M&P, but I guarantee it won't be your last. It's an addiction. Don't fight it. It's futile!

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links