Defensive Carry banner

Hi from Denver

1K views 30 replies 30 participants last post by  pgrass101 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just joined DefensiveCarry after finding a thread on a Google search about jogging with CCW. I have had a permit since I turned 21, but treated it rather cavalierly until recently. I didn't have many holsters, and it often stayed home or in my car when it was inconvenient. I recently decided to make it more a part of my lifestyle. Everybody has heard about what happened in Aurora, and now we have a kidnapper/murderer out there as well.

Unfortunately I am a full time student as well as working full time at a building cladding systems manufacturer, and neither place allows weapons on the premises. I have a problem with that since I take night classes, but I can't risk losing my permit to carry OR my job.

I carry my brand-new P238 most frequently now because of its ease of concealment, but whenever possible I carry the P229 that I have had since 2000. I also own a Makarov .380 and a Mauser HSc .32 but both of these are inherited guns and not really carry weapons. I just today rebuilt the Mauser with new springs because it had a bad problem with feeding issues, but it is still just something to take to the range now and then, and keep it to remember my grandpa.

Before I got the P238 I carried the Makarov when the 229 was too bulky (which is most of the time) but it is still not really that compact. I'd like to add a 3.5" 1911 to the collection, and maybe a P938 also. But I have some good options for now.

I bought my husband a Sig Nightmare 1911 for his birthday and I've been avoiding shooting that too often in case I start liking it too much. I think after shooting it and now the P238, I am turning into a 1911 convert. I love my P229 but it is bulky and I just seem to enjoy shooting the single action pistols more now--even when the 229 is in SA mode, I still like the other guns better. I could not say why.

But I used it for IDPA because I have so many more years of familiarity with it. So the jury is still out on it.

I know my EDC gun is considered a BUG by most, but with women's clothing there aren't as many options and I am building a collection of holsters.

I recently tried IDPA and while my performance was abysmal, it was tons of fun. Other than that I go to the range as often as I can afford to. I'm definitely not any sort of markswoman, but I can keep my shots in a torso-sized area :D

Other than that I like Mustangs, Jeeps, motorcycles, reading, drawing and gardening.

See less See more
#5 ·

#6 ·
Hello, FirecrackerKTM, and welcome from Missouri to this great Taurus family & forum. Great people and good info here! Hopefully you can keep your handgun in your vehicle at least during your nights out. Please take care, and please post some of your drawings sometime.

#8 ·
Hello, FirecrackerKTM, and welcome from Missouri to this great Taurus family & forum. Great people and good info here! Hopefully you can keep your handgun in your vehicle at least during your nights out. Please take care, and please post some of your drawings sometime.
By nights out do you mean going out and having a few drinks with the girls? I definitely don't drink when I carry/carry when I drink.
I really should look into a safe for my truck though.

#25 ·
Welcome from South Carolina...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.