Defensive Carry banner

New and looking

1K views 30 replies 30 participants last post by  BigJon10125 
#1 ·
I've put off for a long time taking a CHP class and am now ready (already signed up). Part of my delay is that I have been trying to find the best carry weapon. From what I've read, the S & W M&P Shield seems like the best answer. Let me explain: Lost both legs in Vietnam to booby trap, use wheelchair. At now 3'9" compact body reduces concealability.

Now find that Shield is pretty much impossible to find. Am signed up to take Intro and shooting class the end of Nov. and carry class 1st of Dec. Plenty of experience with rifles but handgun experience limited to shooting army .45 once in training. Any suggestions guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Welcome and thank you for your service to our country!
I would feel that you could put a paddle holster on your wheels somewhere (in concealment)? A holster on either of your sides, with almost a pocket it sets in that you can easily reach in and de-mount the pistol from the holster, but that is not viewable to anyone but you. Hope some of that will help you!
Your biggest decisions will be revolver/semi and what type of trigger action. I just recently picked up a Springfield XDM .45 compact and I absolutely love it. It is perfect size for concealment. I would recommend a 9MM or .45.

-jared

#5 ·
Welcome from AZ!

First off - thank you for your service!

Wheelchairs indeed present a challenge to concealed yet accessible weapon carry. I'm not sure anyone makes one, but a "tuckable" IWB holster in crossdraw configuration might be something to look at. What do you normally wear? A bellyband and a J-frame might work for you if you wear an untucked shirt, or if you leave one button unbuttoned on a dress shirt.

For now, while the Shield is in short supply, take a look at the Kahr CW9 (or its pricier version, the P9). Flat, compact and light, 7+1 capacity, and a pretty smooth trigger for a DAO/striker gun.

#6 ·
Welcome from Wisconsin & welcome home from a fellow Vet! Thanks so much for your service resulting in the loss of your legs, my brother!

#11 ·
Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. I would like to believe that we live in a place where a vet like yourself is not a target for bad guys. But sadly we are not there at this time. A Beretta Nano looks like a good ccw. I don't have one but have seen them and they look like they could be effective.

#14 ·
Welcome. I am sure if you want a shield you can find one someplace online. Try and go to a range that rents guns with a friend and shoot a few different ones. Try different calibers too.

While a wheelchair may present challenges to traditional carry options, if you start thinking outside the norm you may come up with innovative ways that may make us jealous.

#16 ·
Welcome from South Carolina...More importantly, "Welcome Home Brother"...

#18 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.