New Member - Page 3

This is a discussion on New Member within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: New Member

Welcome!
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Since this is a public forum your username and all comments are publicly displayed. I also support the complete Bill of Rights in our Constitution. Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater when there is none, is not protected speech and you would not be able to utter your username with impunity inside an airport. A visitor could read your username and surmise that we were a bunch of anarchists planning an assault.

With your explanation the "bombthrower" moniker is unrelated to an actual explosive device and merely a "nickname" because you stir trouble perhaps some explanation in your sig line would allay any possible misunderstandings.
    I find it interesting that you would welcome someone to the forum with an invective and then reply to their explanation by impugning their intelligence. If I were going to literally "throw bombs" I surely wouldn't announce it in advance. Also, I didn't mention it before, but besides being an economist, I happen to hold a J.D. and did pretty well in my two Constitutional Law courses, so I'll point out that your attempt to clarify the extent of my speech rights is not only condescending but inaccurate.

Justice Holmes in Schenck v. United States in 1919 stated that falsely yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre would create a "clear and present" danger to the public and at that point the speech was beyond Constitutional protection. In 1969, the Supreme Court tightened the rule in Brandenburg v. Ohio to limit free speech only in cases where it would likely create "imminent lawless action" since the mere creation of danger is not equivalent to the creation of harm. Granted, uttering my username in an airport could create a riot and is therefore unprotected in that context as well. However, in order to create a plausibly similar problem in this forum, my username would have to be something like "BradyVirus" or "GunControlMole", but even then, since the online environment creates no direct opportunity for harm and is unlikely to start a riot, it would be a stretch to apply a 1st Amendment limitation to a username.

Have you considered that your username is perhaps in violation of US Copyright law?
    finst3r likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Welcome from another fellow Michigander and Defensive Carry newb. I think you're going to love your new HK 45c. I'm crazy about mine anyway. Fits me like a glove both in the hand and in the holster.

Cheers

Hi bombthrower77.....I don't know how to post or register "Likes", but I sure do LIKE your post #32 above!

neverenough

Quote Originally Posted by neverenough View Post
    Hi bombthrower77.....I don't know how to post or register "Likes", but I sure do LIKE your post #32 above!

neverenough
    Thanks. It's always good to know that other people haven't bought into the idea that the system has more rights than apply to the individuals in it. Oh and If you hover your mouse just under the post number in the upper right a "like | share" choice will appear.
    neverenough likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

Hey bombthrower.....Thanks! (hover the mouse). I'm so acustomed to ignoring all the pop-ups and keeerap on my mass-infected craptop.

Now if I could just find the "s" button that keeps popping off I would be all set!!

neverenough

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Welcome! By cans, did you mean suppressors? My son has one for his Glock 19, and it sure seems to cause a lot of malfunctions when it's attached. It seems to interfer with the barrel movement just enough to cause jams. Maybe it's just his, but I'd never trust one for SD myself if that's teh way they work.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Welcome! By cans, did you mean suppressors? My son has one for his Glock 19, and it sure seems to cause a lot of malfunctions when it's attached. It seems to interfer with the barrel movement just enough to cause jams. Maybe it's just his, but I'd never trust one for SD myself if that's teh way they work.
    Thanks, I've heard from some folks that the barrel, suppressor and ammo might need to be be matched to be reliably effective and I've been warned about a certain aftermarket threaded barrel for the Glock 19. I am thinking I will probably suppress my HK45c first, since its designed to be operated that way.

Welcome from one prof to another.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links